What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Are you saying you think the mash bill has a lot of other grains besides rye? I had not noticed it being low in rye character, but you may be right.

I like this one a lot. At 110 proof it was likely to be a tad hot, which I personally like. I do not love that they are using the Pikesville name. The inexpensive rye that used to bare that name and was discontinued around the time this one came out. it was a true bargain, with lots of rye character. About the price of Old Overholt, which I think is awful, even in the 100 proof version. I guess I admit that at the current price point for this one, it is good, but not excellent and no bargain.
According to the folks at Breaking Bourbon, this has a mashbill of 51% rye. So that's what I was referencing. I got my bottle on sale for under $30, so I'm by no means disappointed in it. I think the proof was just a bit high for me to be able to enjoy the flavors. I'll revisit again with a splash of water. And I'll use it in an Old Fashion next week at some point as well.

That is a fabulous price. I do not think I have seen it for less than $40 in the DC area. I was thinking typically mid-$40 or higher, and a quick Google search seems to show it selling for $60 or more around the country.

Frankly at those prices, I was not buying, although I am willing to pay way more for Peerless rye.

You may be right that that mash bill is light on rye. Here is an article on a supposed authentic Pennsylvania rye that uses 80% rye. How They Make Rye Whiskey the Right Way - https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/a19679/rye-whiskey/#:~:text=To%20create%20his%20mash%20bill,yield%201%2C000%20gallons%20of%20mash.

I need to try this one again, and sure will, if I can find a bottle for less than $30! I am guessing there is nothing wrong with you palate!

By the way, I was not familiar with Breaking Bourbon. Seems like a great resource. Although I do not find myself agreeing much with Jordan the reviewer there for this Pikesville Rye and for Peerless Rye. To be fair, his review of the Peerless is from 2016, when Peerless was just getting started. He does refer to the thinking that this Pikesville is really the big brother to Rittenhouse Rye BnB. That does make sense to me. I would say similar flavor profiles. From another source, apparently the previous Pikesville sold generally only in the Maryland/DC area, did have a 65% rye mash bill. Fun stuff. And it sounds like I was wrong and there was some overlap in time as to the production of that Pikesville and this one.

C45B024E-2AEA-4C11-B843-B32ADC8FD089.jpeg

Added ice cubes. Dark sugar cube, water, Angostura, Luxardo cherry, orange zest, OF 100.

By the way, I was not familiar with Breaking Bourbon. Seems like a great resource. Although I do not find myself agreeing much with Jordan the reviewer there for this Pikesville Rye and for Peerless Rye. To be fair, his review of the Peerless is from 2016...
I haven't used it in years, as I tend to get information on new whiskeys from Distiller. As with all reviews on these things, personal preference can come into play. But what I like most about the website is their breakdown of mashbills and history. Distiller is much more brief in their notes, which is typically fine as well.

I did revisit the Pikesville last night. I started neat, but added a few drops of water part way through. I quite enjoy the front of the palate, though stick by my initial thought that it feels more like a bourbon than a rye. I simply get a lot of sweetness and very little spice. I find the mid palate/early finish to simply be a bit too hot for my current tastes. Overall, I believe this is a great whiskey. I'm not sure it'll be a regular, but it will be enjoyed. 🥃

Makes sense. Good tasting notes. I had not see the Distiller web site either. Seems really good. There is a lot of good whisky/whiskey out there these days. Hard to sort through it. Thanks!

Top Bottom