What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

good riddance, Isias!
Hard enough to pronounce your silly name! Who gave it to you anyway??
You were pesky, threatening and turned out to be zilch!!
Don't bother anyone else!

buffalo trace august 2 2020.jpg

FE3B050A-8C69-4504-810F-08C7366C6BF2.jpeg
I was interested in the use of bitters for this one. Next time I will use no bitters and fresh squeezed lemon juice instead of Limoncello. That is Oprah’s favorite honey, by the way. Walker Farms in North Fort Myers, Florida. I get beeswax from them to make surf wax!

It was not sweet at all. It had kind of an ammonia like taste. I will try again and see if it grows on me.

I am with TexLaw, that does not sound right at all. I would try the individual ingredients separately to see if you like them. You may not like rye. I suppose rye has medicinal notes. I would not have said ammonia. As you indicated you had not tried rye previously. I would agree with others--at least what others are implying--that Martini & Rossi red vermouth is not very good, and might be a turn off. Carpano Antica is wonderful, but expensive. I love Dolan's dry vermouth. My guess is the red is good. Aside from the vermouth the rest of your ingredientes are solid. Stirring with ice chills and dilutes and I think both are appropriate for a Manhattan. I do not think 45 seconds is excessive and is consistent with the way I was taught to make a Manhattan. I would also not consider a Manhattan a beginner's cocktail. They are strong and powerfully flavored. I am not saying you are a beginner.

I am with TexLaw, that does not sound right at all. I would try the individual ingredients separately to see if you like them. You may not like rye. I suppose rye has medicinal notes. I would not have said ammonia. As you indicated you had not tried rye previously. I would agree with others--at least what others are implying--that Martini & Rossi red vermouth is not very good, and might be a turn off. Carpano Antica is wonderful, but expensive. I love Dolan's dry vermouth. My guess is the red is good. Aside from the vermouth the rest of your ingredientes are solid. Stirring with ice chills and dilutes and I think both are appropriate for a Manhattan. I do not think 45 seconds is excessive and is consistent with the way I was taught to make a Manhattan. I would also not consider a Manhattan a beginner's cocktail. They are strong and powerfully flavored. I am not saying you are a beginner.

I am liking the Rye in my Old Fashions so I am thinking that either I have bad vermouth or I had a flavor expectation with the Manhattan that threw me. I will try a different sweet vermouth and see where that takes it. I am a beginner when it comes to cocktails so you may be right about a more acquired taste for it. Thank you for the Carpano Antica suggestion.

View attachment 1134657
I was interested in the use of bitters for this one. Next time I will use no bitters and fresh squeezed lemon juice instead of Limoncello. That is Oprah’s favorite honey, by the way. Walker Farms in North Fort Myers, Florida. I get beeswax from them to make surf wax!
I like the combination of fresh squeezed lemon juice and limoncello. It adds a bit more depth of flavor

Thank you for the Carpano Antica suggestion.
You are welcome. It is going to increase your vermouth costs a lot and increase your dissatisfaction with drinks made with lesser vermouths.

I had my first Manhattan. at least one I liked, at Haynes Street Grill in San Francisco where the bartender told me they had done a month long contest to determine the best Manhattan, which they named after a regular customer. This winner was said to be Michter's regular rye bottling, which, as I recall is single barrel, although Michter's contracts out all of its production; Carpano Antica (3 to 1, as I recall); and a strip of lemon zest. They were very clear, no bitters and no cherry. Stirred over ice for a substantial time and served up. (FWIW, I went back to this bar about 12 years later and the then bartender had no idea what I was talking about, except they did have a Manhattan named after a long ago regular customer.) This was also my first experience with a rye I liked and with Carpano Antica. I was blown away.

In the time since, I have found other ryes I like as much or better, and find I prefer to have Angostura bitters and a cherry of my own processing in my drink. I am neither here nor there on a lemon strip. I have not found a vermouth I like better than the Carpano, but there are many good ones out there. Nevertheless, I suppose I can see some value in a stripped down version of this immortal cocktail.

Top Bottom