What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Okay . . . I have not done one of these in a while, but I said I would, so here goes.
J.P. Wiser's 22YO Cask Strength Whisky is a REALLY good sipper. It is finished in Port Casks, so one should anticipate some added sweetness. The colour in the glass is a nice auburn, and this spirit wants to stick to the glass like paste.
There is an oakiness on the nose, but dark fruits as well . . . berries/plums. Raisins are present, too, and an almost wine-like tannin note. There is a hint of spice towards the end, but well hidden.
The fruity sweetness is the first thing that engulfs the palate, along with just a slight ethanol tingle. I did say "cask strength" off the top, right? This spirit comes in at 59.7 abv, but you wouldn't know it. VERY well mannered for such a powerful bottling. Where was I?
Right . . . fruit. Blueberry and plums, but something sharper, too. Maybe cherry. There are savoury baking spices and bread notes next. Behind all of this is the syrupy sweetness that comes with tawny Port. That sweetness never "builds", just maintains a presence throughout, allowing everything else to be played off of it. The typical Rye pepperiness comes towards the finish. The rye spice leads into a vanilla presence on the finish. That syrupy sweetness I mentioned keeps the vanilla from getting bitter, so the whole thing ends with a long, slow, syrupy feel. A really long slow syrupy feel. Seriously . . . long.
A drawn breath accentuates the fruity characteristics imbued by the Port, and starts that tingling afresh on your tongue. Just enough to whet your appetite for another sip.
Sorry, but no water added to this beauty. It's perfect as it sits. This bottling will cost you $150 at your local LCBO, and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. If you are willing to drop a hundred for a 10 YO bottle of Single Malt, then spend the extra $50 on something twice as old. You'll thank me.
JPW22YO.jpg

Was it really suction? The syrup always makes mine stick. First world problem, indeed? 🍸
An ordinary Maraschino cherry certainly would have rolled right out of the cherry sized depression at the bottom of the cocktail glass at that angle, so I'd have to say the syrup (adhesion of a more viscous fluid?) contributed! Eventually, the Luxardo would have come out, as the syrup slowly slid down the inside of the glass. I don't know what the physicist's would say, but that cherry was defying gravity!

Last edited:
I haven’t had the 1792 yet but I did hear from a couple people that it was kindof underwhelming. Sorry to hear you’re not digging it either
That’s a good description of it for me. No worries at all! Makes a decent mixer! And I don’t want to be one to waste whiskey.

That’s a good description of it for me. No worries at all! Makes a decent mixer! And I don’t want to be one to waste whiskey.
I find that almost any whisky tastes great with pop/soda if I don’t love it straight. Coke/Pepsi in my case and Ideally Mexican Coke.

Top Bottom