What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

View attachment 1208370Kentucky Spirit - because it’s Thursday evening
This is an important decision for a man. Right now the bottle is pretty full, yeah it’s sittin on the shoulders, but there’s only a couple pours until she’s starts hiding behind the sticker.
Pretty sure I’ve never owned a bottle this nice, not sure what I would do.....
Big question is how do you keep that bottle hidden from your buddies!

Thanks for that feedback! I’m loving the history of the spirit. I look forward to some cocktails made with applejack as well as sipping a little!
What are you using for grenadine? I make my own from fresh pomegranates, but I would not say you have to go that far. :) Grocery store brands seem to have no pomegranate or other actual fruit at all. Jack Rudy (I am sure I have called it Jack Ruby in the past, my bad!) is very good, but as expensive as the apple brandy, which is okay with me.

Long day in the home office. Time for some fresh air.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is an important decision for a man. Right now the bottle is pretty full, yeah it’s sittin on the shoulders, but there’s only a couple pours until she’s starts hiding behind the sticker.
Pretty sure I’ve never owned a bottle this nice, not sure what I would do.....
Big question is how do you keep that bottle hidden from your buddies!

Good question! I don’t usually keep my bottles “hidden” but having said that I have a rather good “read“ of my buddies and their preferences which means those that appreciate something good will receive a pour commensurate with their tastes and the occasion. Also, the typical ”sitting and sipping” areas on my property are a touch removed from where I store my liquor so I tend to pour away from there and bring the drinks in. If my selection proves adequate I’ll ask if I should bring the bottle in. Is this rude? Not many have complained so far. For reference I carry a range of bourbon and rye and a “house pour” can start with Woodford or WT101 or Rittenhouse and then scale up through Blanton’s, Russell’s Reserve or Rare Breed.....Sazerac, KS or Blanton’s Straight from the Barrel for special events or family and closest circle. Thankfully I’m blessed at this stage of life with no children in the house and the ability to drink some finer things....just not in the quantity that youth once afforded me as my powers of recuperation are diminished.

Good question! I don’t usually keep my bottles “hidden” but having said that I have a rather good “read“ of my buddies and their preferences which means those that appreciate something good will receive a pour commensurate with their tastes and the occasion. Also, the typical ”sitting and sipping” areas on my property are a touch removed from where I store my liquor so I tend to pour away from their and bring the drinks in. If my selection proves adequate I’ll ask if I should bring the bottle in. Is this rude? Not many have complained so far. For reference I carry a range of bourbon and rye and a “house pour” can start with Woodford or WT101 or Rittenhouse and then scale up through Blanton’s, Russell’s Reserve or Rare Breed.....Sazerac, KS or Blanton’s Straight from the Barrel. Thankfully I’m blessed at this stage of life with no children in the house and the ability to drink some finer things....just not in the quantity that youth once afforded me as my powers of recuperation are diminished.
That’s a strong lineup right there.
I would not say that is rude at all, and if Woodford & WT101 is your bottom shelve congrats, your guests are spoiled.

7F58224F-1C0B-4569-B148-B593EA1A3DB1.jpeg

So I stopped at the liquor and grocery stores on the way home from work. I picked up Calvados, because the liquor store was out of Laird’s Applejack, Rose’s grenadine, lemons, three pomegranates, Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur (unrelated!), and oj. When I returned home, my wife presented the bottle of Laird’s!

So we have begun the evening with a Laird’s and Rose’s Jack Rose. The next ones will be made with Calvados and homemade grenadine. I'm expecting a huge improvement. Might also try a Ward Eight later. It looks like a nice sour cocktail, too.

The Applejack was originally purchased for cooking a Thanksgiving turkey. I never tasted it, but I like it. I am surprised at how much it tastes like bourbon. I can see sipping it as well as using it as a mixer. The next bottle of Laird's will be BIB!

Thanks for introducing me!

Last edited:
I've not had the 1783, as I've been in a bit of a "Bottled in Bond" kick in this price range. Definitely surprised by the EWBiB. I have a feeling I'll be re-visiting this one.

Tomorrow will be my favorit dram. Glendronach 21 parliament i cant choose between Billy Walker blend 2018 or Rachel Barrie blend from 2019. I lucky that in mu country i can get this wonderful whisky darn cheep

Keen to hear your thoughts on the Parliament 21 vs the Allardice 18....

Last edited:
Top Bottom