What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

What are you drinking tonight?

The Knize

Moderator Emeritus
We are about 45 mins from Tours so right in the middle of all the wines and chateaux, I love the place and the smaller appellations, and apart from goats' cheese, the food!
I remember a massive food market in Tours that seemed like heaven. I remember buying freshly made goat cheese from a small shop next to the road on a goat farm. They must have had hundreds of goats. The goat cheese was a revelation. Earthy, pungent, rich, creamy. Reeking if goat, really. I can taste it in my head as I write this. So, so good to me, but I can understand how you might find it a bit much. The food and wine in the Loire was wonderful. A beautiful place.

The Knize

Moderator Emeritus
Croft Reserve Ruby.

Tomorrow will be a Ward Eight! Sometime down the line I will give the Jack Rose a shake. Do you have a preference for Applejack, Rob?
I definitely have preferences as to applejack. First, any French calvados should show very well. Every one I have tried has had excellent apple flavor, and has otherwise been high quality. Second, my go to is Laird's bottled in bond apple brandy. 100% apple. The more expensive and longer aged 50th anniversary or whatever it is is great too, but I do not think the additional wood is useful. I have not found the Laird's that are not 100% apple to be very good. I do like that the b-n-b versions of Laird's are 100 proof. To me a Jack Rose cocktail should be intense and the higher proof helps with that. Have fun!

I definitely have preferences as to applejack. First, any French calvados should show very well. Every one I have tried has had excellent apple flavor, and has otherwise been high quality. Second, my go to is Laird's bottled in bond apple brandy. 100% apple. The more expensive and longer aged 50th anniversary or whatever it is is great too, but I do not think the additional wood is useful. I have not found the Laird's that are not 100% apple to be very good. I do like that the b-n-b versions of Laird's are 100 proof. To me a Jack Rose cocktail should be intense and the higher proof helps with that. Have fun!
Thanks for that feedback! I’m loving the history of the spirit. I look forward to some cocktails made with applejack as well as sipping a little!

Burning Chair. Don’t know if I’d say bourbon finished in wine barrels is “better”, but they definitely add a different flavor profile for sure if you don’t mind spending a little more and shaking things up.
View attachment 1208243
View attachment 1208244
First I’ve heard of Burning Chair, I had no idea that Dave Phinney was also in the bourbon game now! I guess that’s what you have the luxury to do when you can sell a brand with no vineyards etc for a boatload of money 😂 😂 😂

Last edited:
I remember a massive food market in Tours that seemed like heaven. I remember buying freshly made goat cheese from a small shop next to the road on a goat farm. They must have had hundreds of goats. The goat cheese was a revelation. Earthy, pungent, rich, creamy. Reeking if goat, really. I can taste it in my head as I write this. So, so good to me, but I can understand how you might find it a bit much. The food and wine in the Loire was wonderful. A beautiful place.
We like Tours, big enough to have all you need but small enough to feel comfortable. If we are at the house for a couple of weeks, we will go to Tours and stay the night at an Ibis hotel so I don't have to drive home after a liquid evening!
Tours HdV Jun19.jpg

View attachment 1208370 Kentucky Spirit - because it’s Thursday evening
This is an important decision for a man. Right now the bottle is pretty full, yeah it’s sittin on the shoulders, but there’s only a couple pours until she’s starts hiding behind the sticker.
Pretty sure I’ve never owned a bottle this nice, not sure what I would do.....
Big question is how do you keep that bottle hidden from your buddies!

Top Bottom