What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

4030F0B5-44A2-4901-9012-37BC3B63A99E.jpeg

Happy New Year!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Suntory Toki, neat. I'm on the fence about Japanese whisky. I've only tried a few sub $100 varieties, but I think it's just too delicate and too reminiscent of scotch for me to want to pay the premium price that the bottles currently command. I don't find them to be completely unfavorable, I just feel that my money is better spent on bourbon and scotch.

IMG_20210101_191417752.jpg

Ardbeg supernova, among others. I am just finishing a glass of glebdronach cask strength. Not my cup of tea, as I prefer pleated whiskeys, but still quite tasty.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't find them to be completely unfavorable, I just feel that my money is better spent on bourbon and scotch.

I agree. I've tried a number of Japanese whiskies, some below and some well above the $100 mark you mention. I've liked every one of them, but I can't make personal sense of the price for any of them. They are technically very well made whiskies, but many of them just aren't that interesting. The interesting ones are $150+. In every case, I could come up with a similar whisky that I enjoy a lot more for the same money or less.

Toki is an excellent example. It's a nice whisky that I can pick up for about $30 a bottle. It's light, citrusy, and refreshing with some other notes that make it very nice in a highball. However, it's not very interesting neat or on the rocks, and it's too light for any cocktail other than a highball. I can get Glenmorangie Original for a dollar more, and I'll spend that buck every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Glenmorangie Original has a similar flavor profile to Toki but deeper and more complex without getting heavy in the least. It's interesting enough to sip neat or on the rocks, it has enough substance for any cocktail that doesn't need a smoky Islay, and it's even better in a highball.

Tamarind Margarita--2 oz tequila (blanco, but I think I like reposado better in most drinks), about 1 oz fresh lime juice (maybe it was more like 3/4 oz), 1 oz Cointreau (I think I like Pierre Ferrand dry Curacao better), and 2 oz dyi tamarind syrup (1 lb box of fresh sweet tamarind shelled, 2 cups of white sugar, 4 cups of water, simmered for nearly an hour, then strained through a coarse sieve, pressing and rubbing the pods across the sieve surface to get the pulp off the seeds and into the syrup--they say sour tamarind has a more complex flavor).

Really good. I think we have a new house cocktail here. On paper, I do not really love the recipe, as one is really just adding 2 oz of tamarind syrup to a traditional Margarita, arguably along with additional lime juice and additional triple sec, and the subtraction of sugar/sugar syrup. And I might try getting the proportion of the tequila and tamarind higher. But the tamarind adds wonderful complexity--citrusy in a way that that is not lemon, lime, or grapefruit, and is something like earthy. And the tamarind adds a thicker mouth feel, something like using a gum syrup, that is outstanding. The tequila comes through nicely. I do not usually like Margarita's doused with hot pepper of some sort, but that might also work well in this cocktail. Additional complexity in a cocktail that is already very complex and exotic.

Tip of the hat to Ouch and his tequila and tamarind soda.

That adult hot chocolate was a fun way to mix it up. It was delicious. I didn't pour the bourbon and irish cream into the mix. I had the bourbon in the bottom of the mug, stirred in the hot chocolate then the irish cream. Don't put the irish cream in the whiskey 🤣.

Also serve it with a spoon. The bourbon sinks to the bottom.

I based mine off this guy. Used half and half instead if milk. We never have milk in the house.

Top Bottom