What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Evan Williams BiB on the rocks
03374EBF-9346-4AE9-ACA4-97F59372C35C.jpeg

Green Ghost cocktail found on YouTube.
.5 oz Chartreuse, .5 oz fresh lime juice, 2 oz gin. Shake with ice and strain.View attachment 1156863
Pretty drink! I am glad to see green Chartreuse getting some attention. Seems to be about $60 or more a 750 ml bottle these days. Is that a recent run up in price? I had the same bottle of green Chartreuse for about three decades.

I notice that Campari seems to be be north of $30 a 750 ml bottle all of a sudden. Seems it me it hovered around $22 a bottle for a very long time and that this is a very big run up in price. Aperol is much less expensive. I have been using a lot of Campari recently, but I can stop if Campari's maker wants to price gouge.

Pretty drink! I am glad to see green Chartreuse getting some attention. Seems to be about $60 or more a 750 ml bottle these days. Is that a recent run up in price? I had the same bottle of green Chartreuse for about three decades.

I notice that Campari seems to be be north of $30 a 750 ml bottle all of a sudden. Seems it me it hovered around $22 a bottle for a very long time and that this is a very big run up in price. Aperol is much less expensive. I have been using a lot of Campari recently, but I can stop if Campari's maker wants to price gouge.
I have seen the Green Chartreuse for as much as $72/ bottle with $55-60 the normal going rate. My daughter wanted me to make her a cocktail requiring the stuff a few years ago. I resisted but found a bottle for less than $25 in Mexico. I‘ve been trying to find ways to use it ever since. The Last Word seems to be THE cocktail for Chartreuse but requires another very expensive marachino ingredient. I must say, the Green Ghost is a satisfying and beautiful drink although once this bottle is kicked, I doubt I will replace it.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Lately been enjoying these..
View attachment 1158712

It took me a bit to find pickled onions.
The Gibson is a fascinating drink. I have heard and read so much "definitive" information to know that I am still not entirely sure what constitutes a Gibson. This one sounds quite good, very much like a wet martini. One source advised that a Gibson was a more dry variant on a martini, something like 5:1. Another source said the only difference was the onion rather than the olive (or twist). It is an intriguing batch of legends. This one sounds excellent, especially with a very good vermouth. Although lore on the martini sometimes includes bitters, it never seems to help the drink in my estimation. Just gin, vermouth, and garnish (no brine) for me, please.

I notice the posted recipe does not call for an onion!

I like a Gibson and as far as I can tell the only difference is an onion versus either an olive or three or a strip of lemon zest. Easy enough to pickle one's own onions.

Fixed a West Texas Ranch Water after a mountain bike ride. You wouldn’t believe how cool 88 degrees and 46% humidity feels after weeks of heat indexes over 105! Anyway, I had to slow myself down as this is a dangerous way to quickly consume 2 oz of Herradura Blanco. Topo Chico, juice of a lime and a Halo, ice, filling a pint glass. I haven’t had one in awhile, and absence surely makes the taste buds grow fonder!

0DBC8F15-0852-40C2-BA9F-0F734C40BE9E.jpeg

Jungle Bird. At the Jungle Bird. Very different from my Jungle Bird. It has a celery finish which is apparently from the blackstrap rum?

This blackstrap rum/celery connection had me intrigued. When my wife sampled the Jungle Bird tonight, she tasted celery, too. The bartender/server, who we knew from his previous place of employment, was perplexed when we said we picked up a celery note and next to no Campari. He brought a sample of the blackstrap rum to the table. I could detect no celery note; only a sweet molasses rum, until I added some water. Then I could detect a slight celery note. I ordered another Jungle Bird with Wicked Dolphin (Cape Coral) Black Rum. It tasted similar to my home mixed Jungle Bird, with the sweetness of pineapple and lime juices coming through, no celery, and little of the bitterness of Campari. Of all the Jungle Birds, I like mine the most! The Campari difference may be due to the extra 1/4 oz I use (1/2 oz vs 3/4 oz).

I am stuck on my nightly Wild Turkey 101 old fashioned! I use almost 4 oz of bourbon so I hesitate to call it A drink..... I like a simple syrup made with erithritol instead of sugar as it fits my low carb lifestyle. I use 1 light tsp of syrup and 2 dash of orange bitters and 2 dash of regular bitters, both Angostura brand. I fill the short glass with larger cubes and stir for a minute. One nice bourbon cherry and it’s the evening drink. I really like the Wild Turkey in this application.

307AFBF8-7160-4B9B-B5C6-2E81AEFCCEAB.jpeg

I went to the cooler to grab the Sidra Acebal from Asturias, but found this bottle first. Much sweeter than the Sidra. Looking forward to the funk of Acebal this weekend.

Top Bottom