What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

A simple Old Fashion cocktail :thumbsup:

2 oz. Jim Beam Repeal Batch, 2-Tbl spoon simple syrup, 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters, Luxardo cherry and orange peel on ice.

Repeal Batch Jim Beam is really good for cheap drinking whiskey. Beam says that it is a limited run, but I hope they do not stop producing it. It is not simply non-chill filtered white label at a higher proof, it is noticeably better in flavor.

20200721_171736.jpg

Diamondback Cocktail--2 parts Peerless rye (103 proof), 1 part Laird's 7.5 year old apply brandy, 1 part Green Chartreuse (110 proof). Some recipes call for 2 oz of rye to 1/2 oz each of apple brandy and Chartreuse. Most recipes seem to specify 100 proof rye, often Rittenhouse, and Laird's bottled in bond apple brandy. I much prefer the Laird's bottled in bond myself. I do not much like the 7.5 yo. Some recipes specify Yellow Chartreuse, which is sweeter and lower proof, but apparently the pre-prohibition original from the Diamondback Lounge in the Lord Baltimore Hotel used the Green, along with 100 proof rye and apple brandy.

This seemed like a terrible drink to me. A waste of good ingredients, except, arguably, this version of Laird's. Extremely alcoholic to no particular purpose. I might try it again with an apple brandy I like better, and perhaps reduced amounts of that and the Chartreuse, but I am not at all optimistic. Perhaps I am missing the concept here. I am annoyed I put the Peerless in this drink.

Found this on YouTube. It’s called the Last Flight. Equal parts lemon juice, Green Chartreuse, Aperol and bourbon. Strong but not bad. I think fresh citrus saves many exotic cocktails.
CED5E5FC-29C6-4C86-8594-06413FF7B984.jpeg

Just made and drank a Last Flight. Henry McKenna single-barrel bottled-in-bond bourbon, and, as above, Aperol, Green Chartreuse, and lemon juice. Excellent cocktail.

Also, I tried the Diamondback cocktail again. Same ratios as previously. This time with bottled-in-bond Laird's apple brandy and that McKenna single-barrel, along with the Green Chartreuse. Balanced. Powerful. Much to my surprise, also an excellent cocktail. Perhaps the Laird's b-n-b made the difference. I like the Peerless rye more than I like this McKenna. Like any great cocktail, the whole being better than the sum of its parts. I am having trouble processing why the previous version did not work.

Just made and drank a Last Flight. Henry McKenna single-barrel bottled-in-bond bourbon, and, as above, Aperol, Green Chartreuse, and lemon juice. Excellent cocktail.

Also, I tried the Diamondback cocktail again. Same ratios as previously. This time with bottled-in-bond Laird's apple brandy and that McKenna single-barrel, along with the Green Chartreuse. Balanced. Powerful. Much to my surprise, also an excellent cocktail. Perhaps the Laird's b-n-b made the difference. I like the Peerless rye more than I like this McKenna. Like any great cocktail, the whole being better than the sum of its parts. I am having trouble processing why the previous version did not work.
I bought the bottle of Chartreuse in Mexico some time ago when I found it for half the price of a US liquor store. I haven‘t tried the Last Word. It seems to be the most popular cocktail using Chartreuse but I really don’t want to invest in the Luxardo. I think this Chartreuse purchase will be a “one and done”.

I bought the bottle of Chartreuse in Mexico some time ago when I found it for half the price of a US liquor store. I haven‘t tried the Last Word. It seems to be the most popular cocktail using Chartreuse but I really don’t want to invest in the Luxardo. I think this Chartreuse purchase will be a “one and done”.

There are other maraschino liqueurs out there for less that I think work fine. I do not have Luxardo myself.

I have had my bottle of Green Chartreuse for probably three decades with little use. But I am excited about these cocktails that are new to me. And I think we are going to see it in more and more cocktails. It is strong and flavorful without being too sweet in a world that is loaded with excessively sweet cocktails, at least to my tastes.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I gotta tell you fellows that I love green Chartreuse. It can be wonderful in a cocktail, but I often drink it neat (crazy that way, I suppose).

I can't quite say the same thing about yellow Chartreuse, though. I might have a little bit near from time to time, but it's place is in a cocktail. One of my favorites is the Alaska. Quite refreshing.

Top Bottom