What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Its a new one for me tonight, Akashi Japanese whiskey. Quite smooth and complex for $50 a bottle.

Claret sounds nice with a prime rib. We went to the local steakhouse yesterday and I had a 10oz slow smoke prime rib. For the first time I've gone it was a decent meal, especially for a small town lol!

@Champion of Capua Never tried that Scotch before. Any single malt over 15 years automatically draws my attention as something with real potential.

I expected more complexity form a 20 yo Scotch, but not bad considering my Costco is blowing’m out at $79 right now.

I find that the younger scotches tend to be more complex IMO. The older they get the more they mellow and smooth, which is phenomenal, but I prefer a 10 to a 20.

Elijah Craig 1.JPG

Elijah Craig 2.JPG

Of course.

I thought about your story, yesterday. Great story.

There was barely enough for one good drink, but I split it three ways between my brother, my 21 year old son, and myself. That bottle, along with past Thanksgivings, is now a memory.

Cheers!

DC67FBA4-921B-40D1-8603-399F6A968685.jpeg
Whiskey sour and not a second too soon. And we had to make due with available ingredients; namely, sugar in the raw instead of Domino white sugar cubes, and organic lime juice in a bottle instead of fresh squeezed lemon juice, but it is delicious!

Had a the first hot buttered rum of the season this afternoon while changing over from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

Currently browsing the Steam sale while sipping 2 gingers. Decent Irish for $20.

On Saturday night, some standard Mount Etna rosso, I cannot remember the producer. We are are finding these Sicilian wines to be very approachable and relatively good values. A hot wine region, Forbes says.

2014 Oregon Pinot Noir, Erath. Went nicely with a mid-rare ribeye (pan cooked in winter of course lol), garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes, and a Cesar salad.

Wiser's 23 YO Cask Strength Blend.

A blend of 23 YO Corn and Rye whiskies, bottled at Cask Strength (64.5% abv, iirc). This whisky is very much like Wild Turkey Rare Breed, in that the "heat" from it's high proof sneaks up on you. Though it arrives a little quicker than it's Bourbon cousin, it is no less a smooth sipper with a punch.

I see you too like sipping gently on a campfire.

View attachment 1041749
I realize too late that it's 100 proof brandy, lol.

Very nice, but very much bites like a whiskey.
I am liking that American producers are upping their game when it comes to brandy. I am also liking that I am seeing more bottled-in-bond spirits of all types. To me it seems to make a difference in quality.

Top Bottom