What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Whiskey sour with Jefferson's very small batch & Peychaud's bitters

IMG_2128.jpg
IMG_2129.jpg

Jack Rose cocktails for a dinner party for ten at our house. Homemade grenadine--did not squeeze my own pomegranates this time--and Laird's bottled-in-bond apple brandy, which I had not seen on the shelf previously, and which is wonderful. 100% apple, 100 proof, at least four years in charred oak barrels. Reasonably priced in the mid-$30s. Supposedly the same product as 200 years ago.

Laird's ought to be embarrassed at the quality of rest of its line up. At least what I have tried. Most diluted with neutral spirits. Under-proofed. I have no idea, though, why their 7.5 yo would not be better than it is, except only 80 proof. I have not had the 12 yo. (Laird's does not seem to say it is 100% apple.)

None but this one gives any Calvados any competition, in my experience.

Jack Rose cocktails for a dinner party for ten at our house. Homemade grenadine--did not squeeze my own pomegranates this time--and Laird's bottled-in-bond apple brandy, which I had not seen on the shelf previously, and which is wonderful. 100% apple, 100 proof, at least four years in charred oak barrels. Reasonably priced in the mid-$30s. Supposedly the same product as 200 years ago.

Laird's ought to be embarrassed at the quality of rest of its line up. At least what I have tried. Most diluted with neutral spirits. Under-proofed. I have no idea, though, why their 7.5 yo would not be better than it is, except only 80 proof. I have not had the 12 yo. (Laird's does not seem to say it is 100% apple.)

None but this one gives any Calvados any competition, in my experience.
Rob this sounds very cool. What are the basics of the homemade grenadine you do?

Rob this sounds very cool. What are the basics of the homemade grenadine you do?
t
This time, approximately equal parts white sugar and Pom pomegranate juice--let's say a little more than a cup of each. Two tablespoons of pomegranate molasses. I am guessing about a teaspoon each of rose water and orange blossom water (careful with these, the rose water in particular can be pretty strong), a good squeeze of lemon and/or lime juice, all blended on low speed to dissolve sugar. It won't all dissolve. Maybe 3/4 oz of vodka, as a preservative.

Most recipes call for heating the pomegranate juice with the sugar, even boiling it, which I think harms the flavor, and I do not see a reason to supersaturate beyond what the juice will simply dissolve on its own.

Using fresh, or at least not from concentrate, pomegranate juice is all the better. There are various ways to juice pomegranates. Some suggest cutting them in half and squeezing with a citrus juicer, which sort of works. Some suggest running pomegranate arils/"jewels" through a blender and straining. I think that adds a lot of bitterness from the seeds. The white pulpy stuff in pomegranates is pretty bitter, too.

I have mixed feelings about all methods, but I am thinking the best thing to do is to separate out the jewels--lots of possible techniques there, too--put them in a nylon straining bag, mash everything up, and squeeze. Pretty messy. I would not heat that fresh juice under any circumstances.

I suspect pomegranate molasses varies in quality, too. I used what I could readily find.

One can use other than white sugar, too. I have used turbinado. Seemed little strongly flavored of regular molasses.

t
This time, approximately equal parts white sugar and Pom pomegranate juice--let's say a little more than a cup of each. Two tablespoons of pomegranate molasses. I am guessing about a teaspoon each of rose water and orange blossom water (careful with these, the rose water in particular can be pretty strong), a good squeeze of lemon and/or lime juice, all blended on low speed to dissolve sugar. It won't all dissolve. Maybe 3/4 oz of vodka, as a preservative.

Most recipes call for heating the pomegranate juice with the sugar, even boiling it, which I think harms the flavor, and I do not see a reason to supersaturate beyond what the juice will simply dissolve on its own.

Using fresh, or at least not from concentrate, pomegranate juice is all the better. There are various ways to juice pomegranates. Some suggest cutting them in half and squeezing with a citrus juicer, which sort of works. Some suggest running pomegranate arils/"jewels" through a blender and straining. I think that adds a lot of bitterness from the seeds. The white pulpy stuff in pomegranates is pretty bitter, too.

I have mixed feelings about all methods, but I am thinking the best thing to do is to separate out the jewels--lots of possible techniques there, too--put them in a nylon straining bag, mash everything up, and squeeze. Pretty messy. I would not heat that fresh juice under any circumstances.

I suspect pomegranate molasses varies in quality, too. I used what I could readily find.

One can use other than white sugar, too. I have used turbinado. Seemed little strongly flavored of regular molasses.
Very cool, thank you for sharing

Very cool, thank you for sharing

You are welcome. It is very easy--at least if one uses bottled pomegranate juice, which works okay--and the results are excellent.

Thinking about it and looking over some on-line recipes, I would definitely start out with much less than the teaspoon of the rose water I referenced earlier, probably the orange water, too. The rose water has a soapy flavor that you really do not want to use to excess.

SAN GREGORIO SINGLE VINEYARD LOMA GORDA OLD VINE GARNACHA, 2015. 50% Granache and 50% Temperanillo. Pretty delicious. Only a few oz for me.

You know, my precious woman that is ill right now, send me in the middle of this night to the market to buy one more Schweppes caus she wanted gin-tonic.
In conclusion: she - sleeps, me - drinking. :wink2:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Champagne cocktail. Cognac, sugar cube, half of a large strawberry, Moet Champagne.
Repeat.
Followed by more Cognac straight.

Top Bottom