What's new

What are you currently eyeballing?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks @Esox. I'll give them a read... sounds very interesting. I have not looked at SE before and wasn't aware of the thickness... quite interesting!
I keep hearing great stories about the Fatip (and Gillette NEW SC); a pity the finish on the Fatips is so poor, but I will probably get one for my brother to get him into DE:) (the SB version then)

The NEW SC is one of the best razors ever made. A member here measured 7 different samples of NEW SC bases and found the blade gaps on all measured the same .023". The NEW LC on the other hand, a different design that offers less blade support, the blade gaps varied by as much as .017" or more across all samples. The NEW SC is a very precisely machined piece. So is a Fatip.

I paid $48CAD for my Grande. I would have been just as happy with it had it cost $100. It looks every penny and then some.

IMG_2056.jpg

The only weakness with the Fatip are the blade alignment pins. They're soldered on by hand. That can have an effect on blade loading, but its nothing 5 seconds wont fix as you load a blade in one.

As said above by Vlad, Joris razors are made by Fatip, but the handles and plating are done by Plisson, I believe.

10x? ... Well, ehm... Did I mention the great finish on that normal Fatip?... will be a great starter for my brother:em2300:

I read their latest Nobile Black Tie razor has a better finish, but not sure about that resin handle. Might be slippy with lather fingers.

I read their latest Nobile Black Tie razor has a better finish, but not sure about that resin handle. Might be slippy with lather fingers.
True, but I see they have some wooden handles... if the wood is oiled instead of lacquered, they should give good grip... around 60 Euro though when it isn't sure if he will enjoy DE. On the other hand, starting with something that looks a little nicer may be more enticing than a razor with a lot of scratches and dents in the finish (perhaps the demo model at my shop looks worse than others). Tricky choice still.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
@Raven Koenes can speak to all the handles as well as Fatip vs Joris.
First, Mr. Joris is the top designer for Plisson and CEO. Plisson and Joris are Plisson. Joris being the head designer has his own Joris line. His designs are sold as Plisson or under Joris, but they are all produced under the same entity.

I do not find the Fatip Nobile line or the Fatip Woods to be slippery at all. The resin handles have grip to them and are not hard slick plastic. The woods are all hard wood and water resistent. The do not have a hard varnish that would make them slick. The slipperiest handle on a Fatip head I own is my Plisson-Joris Palladium engraved. It is just something I noticed, but it has never been an issue as I rinse well between strokes with all my razors. My Plisson-Joris is more refined with a thinner baseplate on the head. The outside shaving dimensions of the baseplate are the same as Fatip. The Palladium finish is steller. The design of the engraved handle is top notch. My Plisson-Joris is a Mk2. It is the only razor I own that is a work of art. It also weighs in at a 110g's where my Fatips are all around 65g's. The Nobile and Woods are around a 110mm in length. The Plisson-Joris Palladium Engraved is a 120mm in length.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
10x? ... Well, ehm... Did I mention the great finish on that normal Fatip?... will be a great starter for my brother:em2300:
Ha, ha, ha! :wink2: I actually find the finish to be good on all my Fatips lol. It's not the thick pretty Muhle finish, but on Muhle it needs to be to protect zamak. You can't plate brass with the same thickness and have it hold up. I have a vintage 1980's 12 comb Fatip. I bought it on Ebay Italy. It was coated with decades of soap scum. I cleaned it up and the nickel finish had still held up nicely. It cleaned up like new. The Joris finish is a whole other level of quality, but then they only use semi-precious metals in their plating.

First, Mr. Joris is the top designer for Plisson and CEO. Plisson and Joris are Plisson. Joris being the head designer has his own Joris line. His designs are sold as Plisson or under Joris, but they are all produced under the same entity.

I do not find the Fatip Nobile line or the Fatip Woods to be slippery at all. The resin handles have grip to them and are not hard slick plastic. The woods are all hard wood and water resistent. The do not have a hard varnish that would make them slick. The slipperiest handle on a Fatip head I own is my Plisson-Joris Palladium engraved. It is just something I noticed, but it has never been an issue as I rinse well between strokes with all my razors. My Plisson-Joris is more refined with a thinner baseplate on the head. The outside shaving dimensions of the baseplate are the same as Fatip. The Palladium finish is steller. The design of the engraved handle is top notch. My Plisson-Joris is a Mk2. It is the only razor I own that is a work of art. It also weighs in at a 110g's where my Fatips are all around 65g's. The Nobile and Woods are around a 110mm in length. The Plisson-Joris Palladium Engraved is a 120mm in length.

Ha, ha, ha! :wink2: I actually find the finish to be good on all my Fatips lol. It's not the thick pretty Muhle finish, but on Muhle it needs to be to protect zamak. You can't plate brass with the same thickness and have it hold up. I have a vintage 1980's 12 comb Fatip. I bought it on Ebay Italy. It was coated with decades of soap scum. I cleaned it up and the nickel finish had still held up nicely. It cleaned up like new. The Joris finish is a whole other level of quality, but then they only use semi-precious metals in their plating.

Thank you very much for all this great info! Nice to know a bit more about this. I'll have a look at the razors you mention and try to find the best middle-ground between looks and price to get for my brother. And reassuring to know the grips work well!

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thank you very much for all this great info! Nice to know a bit more about this. I'll have a look at the razors you mention and try to find the best middle-ground between looks and price to get for my brothers. And reassuring to know the grips work well!
You're welcome, I really like my Nobile Black Tie. It's really sharp. My Nobile Horn is not as aesthetically pleasing. I also love my woods. As far as looks I find the Noce and the Ulivo wood to be quite beuatiful. The difference in price is $34 US for the Nobile and $44 US for the woods. My Palladium Engraved Joris now cost $185 US from Plisson. When I bought mine it was $175 US, but when I signed up for the first time the price was more like a $135 US with a huge discount for doing that.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I'll try and remember that, but if I do I may forget something else haha.

All right, I had initially said I was eyeballing the timeless bronze .38. I sold all my razors except a prewar tech and was planning on going minimalist. That lasted a couple of days because of this site. I have since ordered the Fatip Special Edition and a Black Tiger.
I had always wanted to try a timeless but couldn't pay the price, even with the return policy. Today I was perusing the site and checking out the aluminum. Based on folks on this website it shaves somewhere between the .68 and .95, which may be good for me. As I backed out of the aluminum page I saw that there was a scratch and dent section for that razor not in the main scratch and dent page, but on the aluminum main page. Curious, I clicked on it. Then I saw it was $55 with free shipping. Long story short, I ended up buying it.

Top Bottom