What's new

What are you currently eyeballing?

Great news!! Congrats on shaving bliss. How do you like the weight of the Ti?
I was a bit worried it might be too light, but I shouldn't have. It is in my goldilocks zone for weight: Light enough to be nimble and encourage light pressure, but heavy enough so you feel exactly where the razor is and what it's doing. Felt right at home from the first stroke.

Bought a Muhle R41 after an ATT and Timless. Really liked them but love the R41. Looked for a new handle after all the posts convinced me to hate the handle that came with it . Now I use the original handle as it doesn’t add pressure and I have much more control. That and a Nacet blade have given me the finest shave ever without nicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a bit worried it might be too light, but I shouldn't have. It is in my goldilocks zone for weight: Light enough to be nimble and encourage light pressure, but heavy enough so you feel exactly where the razor is and what it's doing. Felt right at home from the first stroke.

Well now I cant wait for mine!!! Tracking puts it in the mail box on Friday!!

I have a feeling you like it. :thumbsup:
I :001_wub: it! Truly, this was not what I expected. I expected a little improvement and it looks really nice. After reading the thread linked by @Esox about blade flex, I already noticed that this razor really holds the blade near the edge, so I wondered if that would improve the shave on this razor... it does!

Thanks for all the info and support @naughtilus... it really made the wait more fun:)

Well now I cant wait for mine!!! Tracking puts it in the mail box on Friday!!
Ai, 2 more days of nail-biting! If it works as well for you as it does for me, you are in for one hell of a treat!!!

Let us know how your first shave went when you get it:D

OH.... MY.... GOD!!!! I had NO... EYE... DEE!!! What a difference this razor makes! It was just... effortless. I could hear how much more efficient it was. BBS with no irritation at all. Usually my 1st XTG pass (do WTG, XTG, GTX and ATG) has parts that are more WTG and I never hear any real cutting there, but this razor just magically found hairs and kept knispering as it cut EVERYTHING. I thought my Mühle R41 was good but this is a completely different league. Thank you all so much for inspiring me to buy the Timeless.
Congratulations, It is My Best Razor as well! I really like the Titanium feel. Shaves effortlessly.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I :001_wub: it! Truly, this was not what I expected. I expected a little improvement and it looks really nice. After reading the thread linked by @Esox about blade flex, I already noticed that this razor really holds the blade near the edge, so I wondered if that would improve the shave on this razor... it does!

Thanks for all the info and support @naughtilus... it really made the wait more fun:)

Rigidity makes a difference. Timeless razors are among the most rigid designs there are.

Timeless.
Timeless.jpg

Wolfman WR1.
WolfmanWR1.png

The general design may vary between the two but how and where they clamp the blade is much the same.

Its my belief, as well as a few others, that razors should clamp the blade equally from above and below, like a vise, as close to the edge as possible.

Chris Kirchen, the designer and maker of the Karve razor thinks much the same.

I dont believe its that widely known or understood but thats changing, especially with Chris Kirchen of Karve. He said this in an AMA on Reddit;

"The geometry came from a bunch of research to familiarize myself with how razors are configured and then creating analogies between how a blade is configured and real world applications. The one I'm most proud of (because I saw an immediate improvement), was to support the blade as much as possible as a way of eliminating chatter). All razors support the blade on the top side with the top cap, but chatter comes from cyclical loading...force, no force, force, no force, etc. The unloading comes from loading the blade during cutting, but then something gives (such as the whisker that is being cut) and the blade unloads for a split second. The top cap can only help with the loading, so the baseplate has to work together with it."

Theres much to read around the forum on rigidity.

Congratulations, It is My Best Razor as well! I really like the Titanium feel. Shaves effortlessly.
Thank you @Calm_Shaver. Yeah, the titanium feels great, especially the weight. And polished it is just jaw-dropping gorgeous! I also like the head-size. With the lather-channels I thought it would be bulkier than it actually is... it is really easy to reach everywhere, even under my nose.

Rigidity makes a difference. Timeless razors are among the most rigid designs there are.

Timeless.
View attachment 1016022

Wolfman WR1.
View attachment 1016023

The general design may vary between the two but how and where they clamp the blade is much the same.

Its my belief, as well as a few others, that razors should clamp the blade equally from above and below, like a vise, as close to the edge as possible.

Chris Kirchen, the designer and maker of the Karve razor thinks much the same.

Theres much to read around the forum on rigidity.

Definitively will be one of the key aspects for me in razors from now on! The improvement in the shave could not be precision-milling alone. Clearly the design of how the blade is held plays a big role here (and the precision-milling for how well the blade is held in place). Listening to my first WTG pass I could hear the difference. And I could feel it in how consistent the resistance was in the stroke. So much smoother because of it. Also, no irritation in my shave: I can imagine that a fluttering blade will pick off some skin here and there.

DE razor holding a blade perfectly static is essentially a straight razor with a replaceable edge. That was Gillette's original idea which can be seen in early 3 piece razors that clamp the blade at the very edge.

DE razor holding a blade perfectly static is essentially a straight razor with a replaceable edge. That was Gillette's original idea which can be seen in early 3 piece razors that clamp the blade at the very edge.
Interesting. If I can ever try one out, I'll have to check that out:) Why did manufacturers ever leave this concept? I can imagine the manufacturing tolerances need to be more precise for this or nickel/chrome plating gets in the way, but at least for me, this was just so much better.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Interesting. If I can ever try one out, I'll have to check that out:) Why did manufacturers ever leave this concept? I can imagine the manufacturing tolerances need to be more precise for this or nickel/chrome plating gets in the way, but at least for me, this was just so much better.

I've found that the more rigidly held the blade is, the narrower the selection of 'best' blades for me.

When the blade is held in a static position, theres no spring pressure stored in it so you'll feel exactly how difficult to cut your stubble really is. Thats where finding the best blade coatings for me came in. My best blades cut the hairs and I feel nothing. Others tug as they cut and because theres no flex in the blade, feeling that tugging is far more pronounced.

I've found that the more rigidly held the blade is, the narrower the selection of 'best' blades for me.

When the blade is held in a static position, theres no spring pressure stored in it so you'll feel exactly how difficult to cut your stubble really is. Thats where finding the best blade coatings for me came in. My best blades cut the hairs and I feel nothing. Others tug as they cut and because theres no flex in the blade, feeling that tugging is far more pronounced.
That makes a lot of sense. I went to a fresh Gillette PermaSharp as I knew it performed amazingly for me in the R41. The blades didn't seem to last well after shave-3 though, but those first 2 shaves were just amazing. It didn't disappoint in the Timeless... didn't disappoint at all!

What blades do you prefer in a rigid razor @Esox?

DE blades used to be much thicker and less flexing/chatter occurred. Merkurs more popular designs only support the blade on top (to allow for lather channels at the bottom) and rely on blade arching to provide sufficient stiffness. Blades were like springs and Gillette even advertised its 3 piece razors as adjustable. Blades had a lot of resistance so unwinding a quarter turn adjusted blade exposure yet kept the blade stiff.

Last edited:
DE blades used to be much thicker and less flexing/chatter occurred. Merkurs more popular designs only support the blade on top (to allow for lather channels at the bottom) and rely on blade arching to provide sufficient stiffness. Blades were like springs and Gillette even advertised its 3 piece razors as adjustable. Blades had a lot of resistance so unwinding a quarter turn adjusted blade exposure yet kept the blade stiff.
I understand: No real need for such clamping with more spring-action in the blade. So the blades changed over the years, but, in general, the razors did not. A bit like the frog in cold water on the stove then.

It might have imagined this (was pretty new at DE shaving), but are Merkur blades more springy than others? I got that feeling when I shaved with one a long time ago.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That makes a lot of sense. I went to a fresh Gillette PermaSharp as I knew it performed amazingly for me in the R41. The blades didn't seem to last well after shave-3 though, but those first 2 shaves were just amazing. It didn't disappoint in the Timeless... didn't disappoint at all!

What blades do you prefer in a rigid razor @Esox?

My first shave with any new to me razor has always been Derby Extra. In my R41 however it was a horribly tuggy and uncomfortable shave. From that use I can understand why so many dislike Derby Extra so much. In my Grande however, its wonderful. In my Gillette NEW SC its also a favorite and may be my top blade, tied with Polsilver. Smooth and comfortable. With a steep angle in that razor it also gave me a 10 hour BBS.

Derby Extra is in my top 3 DE blade picks along with Polsilver and Gillette Yellow. Perma-Sharp Super and Feather rounding out my top 5 with an honorable mention to Gillette Black.

DE blades are the main reason I've gone to SE. DE blades are, generally, .004" thick. They're very thin and very flexible. SE blades on the other hand are more than twice as thick. The GEM SE blades are .009" thick and AC blades are as thick as .013" or even thicker.

The added rigidity of the thicker SE blades gives me a superior shave to my best DE shave. DE blades are arguably as comfortable in use but the angle I need to maintain to not impart any flex to the edge, even in my Grande, is very small. I can use an SE blade at any angle from extremely steep to extremely shallow and not experience any flex in the edge. The result of that is improved skin condition, long term.

If you look in my profile for threads started by me, you'll find several DE blade reviews. All were done with a Gillette NEW SC and Stirling soaps. In my journal thread here, you'll find my Fatip Grande. That threads covers a lot, but it also includes my testing of around 30 different blade types in that razor along with my quest for the best shave I can have in one pass ATG. That starts on page 5. My 7th use of that razor with a Feather blade. I've been shaving the same way since then only now with an SE.

My first shave with any new to me razor has always been Derby Extra. In my R41 however it was a horribly tuggy and uncomfortable shave. From that use I can understand why so many dislike Derby Extra so much. In my Grande however, its wonderful. In my Gillette NEW SC its also a favorite and may be my top blade, tied with Polsilver. Smooth and comfortable. With a steep angle in that razor it also gave me a 10 hour BBS.

Derby Extra is in my top 3 DE blade picks along with Polsilver and Gillette Yellow. Perma-Sharp Super and Feather rounding out my top 5 with an honorable mention to Gillette Black.

DE blades are the main reason I've gone to SE. DE blades are, generally, .004" thick. They're very thin and very flexible. SE blades on the other hand are more than twice as thick. The GEM SE blades are .009" thick and AC blades are as thick as .013" or even thicker.

The added rigidity of the thicker SE blades gives me a superior shave to my best DE shave. DE blades are arguably as comfortable in use but the angle I need to maintain to not impart any flex to the edge, even in my Grande, is very small. I can use an SE blade at any angle from extremely steep to extremely shallow and not experience any flex in the edge. The result of that is improved skin condition, long term.

If you look in my profile for threads started by me, you'll find several DE blade reviews. All were done with a Gillette NEW SC and Stirling soaps. In my journal thread here, you'll find my Fatip Grande. That threads covers a lot, but it also includes my testing of around 30 different blade types in that razor along with my quest for the best shave I can have in one pass ATG. That starts on page 5. My 7th use of that razor with a Feather blade. I've been shaving the same way since then only now with an SE.
Thanks @Esox. I'll give them a read... sounds very interesting. I have not looked at SE before and wasn't aware of the thickness... quite interesting!
I keep hearing great stories about the Fatip (and Gillette NEW SC); a pity the finish on the Fatips is so poor, but I will probably get one for my brother to get him into DE:) (the SB version then)

Last edited:
I understand: No real need for such clamping with more spring-action in the blade. So the blades changed over the years, but, in general, the razors did not. A bit like the frog in cold water on the stove then.

It might have imagined this (was pretty new at DE shaving), but are Merkur blades more springy than others? I got that feeling when I shaved with one a long time ago.

Never tried one. I doubt they are thick enough to matter. The designs just stuck with time. With a negative blade exposure blade stiffness isn't so much an issue. Open comb designs don't need lather channels so positive blade exposure works well even with modern blades due to better clamping. That's why OCs are generally more efficient yet smooth. Obviously you can make them mild too, it's a design decision.

Muhle R41 - terrible blade clamping, almost no blade arching, huge positive blade exposure, open comb. No lather channels yet no stiffness. Design by a brush making company. :laugh:
Fatip Piccolo - great blade clamping, huge positive blade exposure, open comb. Gillette Old Type clone. It was done right the first time.

Top Bottom