What's new

What are you cooking for the 4th of July?

There were some unusual requests this year, since we just had hot dogs for fathers' day.

Smoked meatloaf on the recteq, with a pellet tube full of white oak and a glaze of brown sugar and sriracha. An open-faced smoked meatloaf sandwich is something wonderful.

Thin-sliced sirloin in a marinade, seared on a griddle on the recteq for a few minutes then draped over smashed baked potato and covered in gravy from the marinade.

Some Nathan's dogs for me, because I never get tired of them. Like @TexLaw, I will freeze the leftovers and eat them for lunches over the next few weeks.

Lets see if I can post pictures now.
After 2 hours
7ED03183-E059-418F-A567-6909C8D61586.jpeg

after 4 hours
808BA7EB-FF2F-4B94-8332-CBB923CAA19B.jpeg

After 6 hours

7F085ADD-F43D-499C-8799-CB05F2440FED.jpeg

I moved them to foil pans and covered the tops with Honey Hog Hot, some pats of butter and some brown sugar. Then it was foil over the tops and back in. I just pulled them and I am going to let them rest for an hour covered.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Bobs, Brats, and Corn.

Ooops. Says "Something went wrong" when trying to copy and paste photos. They are sized just fine so it can't be because they are too big.

I do believe someone else had trouble also.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Just my wife and me. I grilled a pork tenderloin and we had potato salad, homemade cole slaw, the first ears of local sweet corn of the season, and Bush's Steakhouse baked beans. Tomorrow we'll tidy up by eating the leftover potato salad and cole slaw with a few grilled Tony Packo's Front St hotdogs. My favorite American holidays are 4 July and Thanksgiving, two days during which my most important responsibility is to ensure that I eat too much.

Daughter's BF is a vegetarian so for lunch we had veggie dogs and I had a cheesedog with white cheddar because it was on serious markdown. For dinner we had burgers and such. The winner was a chickpea salad that uses lemon juice instead of vinegar.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yes you did. I like the grill or smoke goodies on Sunday afternoon, freeze everything, split it all up into manageable meal sizes and just pick and choose what you want throughout the week. Can’t seem to get that single serving down size right now.

Some of the best money I've ever spent was on the vacuum sealer. Instead of firing up the pit every few weeks, I could do so only a few times every year with even larger loads and save the food for later. The amount of time and effort got leveraged something fierce and more than paid for the price of the vacuum sealer the first time I used the dadgum thing.

And it continues to pay. Among other things, Mrs. TL and I got to spend a good deal of time yesterday and today with a couple of buddies we haven't seen in a while.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
We went to a friends house for a BBQ. I was asked to make salsa and guacamole so I obliged.

Someone else brought tri tips which was outstanding. Another guest made some chimichurri that was out of this world good.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I had porridge for dinner but it is just another day here in Aus. I hope all our American friends had a happy Independence Day. Here it is just the day before the 5th of July.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Fresh seafood isn't all that easy to come by here in SW Ohio, but there is a very good fish market near us that flies in fresh fish each day... and of course, you pay for it. So tonight my wife and I will enjoy what was the traditional 4 July meal for generations back in New England- a starter of eggs mayonnaise, followed by steamed fresh salmon, green peas and new potatoes, all drizzled with egg sauce. Some vanilla ice cream and orange sherbet to finish things off.

Top Bottom