What's new

What are you cooking for the 4th of July?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Central Texas is forecast to have rain. So there will be no fourteen hours on the deck tending the brisket in the smoker. That means there will be no potato salad, coleslaw, ranch beans, and peach cobbler. As much as I love all of those things, a Texas barbecue with proper sides is a ton of work, and I am glad to take a break. So it will be a stovetop cheeseburger, maybe some onion rings, and a cold Pacifico or two. Going to my brother's would involve going to Boston and invariably some esoteric and refined foods that, to my sensibility, just seem wrong on the Fourth. The Fourth is the holiday when the things we call junk food during the rest of the year come out and assume the revered place of "the foods America REALLY likes best. (Does anyone really sit around longing for a red, white, and blue salad of watermelon, feta, and blueberries?) I may even have a hot dog for lunch!

I just put two 8 lb pork shoulders (Boston Butt) on my Traeger. I coated them pretty well with Honey Hog seasoning by Meat Church. I have never tried it before but I am sure it will work fine. The family is spending the Fourth of July at my stepson's house and pulled pork is our contribution. My wife is thinking of making some cole slaw to put on the sandwiches so we can have it Carolina style. I will try to return later with photos when I open the smoker to spritz the butts.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Central Texas is forecast to have rain. So there will be no fourteen hours on the deck tending the brisket in the smoker. That means there will be no potato salad, coleslaw, ranch beans, and peach cobbler. As much as I love all of those things, a Texas barbecue with proper sides is a ton of work, and I am glad to take a break. So it will be a stovetop cheeseburger, maybe some onion rings, and a cold Pacifico or two. Going to my brother's would involve going to Boston and invariably some esoteric and refined foods that, to my sensibility, just seem wrong on the Fourth. The Fourth is the holiday when the things we call junk food during the rest of the year come out and assume the revered place of "the foods America REALLY likes best. (Does anyone really sit around longing for a red, white, and blue salad of watermelon, feta, and blueberries?) I may even have a hot dog for lunch!
Preach it brotha.

I used to have an offset stick burner when I was younger and still living in Texas. It is a ton of work. Luckily my lovely wife is happy to make the sides which reduces the workload considerably. As to weather, I have put my grills and smokers at the entrance to my garage when it was raining on more occasions than I can remember. Now that I am older and lazy and have little desire to babysit a smoker, I use a Traeger Timberline 850 to smoke my meats. With my phone APP I can monitor the grill temp and the meat temp. I can raise or lower the temperature while I am away from home doing other things and if the meat is ready before I can get home I just set it on Keep Warm. I love the freedom of not being tied to my smoker for half a day.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I thought about cruising through the meat section, seeing what looked good, and firing up the pit. Then, I looked in the deep freeze and see all the stuff that's in there from other cooks, along with home made Summer sausage and smoked sausage. We'll enjoy the fruits of my labor already spent!

Considering that a buddy asked about grabbing some beers this afternoon, I'd say I made the right choice.

Trying to add a photo of my meat on the smoker but I haven't been able to add photos since yesterday afternoon. I keep getting an error. Frustrating.

8.5 lb pork shoulder on smoker with apple and pecan.
At about noon, going to put 3 racks of St. Louis ribs on.
All rubbed with Malcoms BBQ rub and Meat Church’s Honey BBQ rub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I used to use pecan wood a lot when I lived in Texas, it was easy to come by. It adds a nice flavor. I am using Lumberjack Brand Competition Blend wood pellets (Hickory, Maple and Cherry). I like it on pork.

Daughter and son in law are visiting (along with the grand-dog). Keeping it simple this year. I made eggs and bacon for breakfast and will be grilling burgers (with green Chile, of course) for lunch. We’ll pop open a bottle or two of Gruet Blanc de Noirs sparkling wine to celebrate our Independence and the bounty of our adopted state of New Mexico.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I thought about cruising through the meat section, seeing what looked good, and firing up the pit. Then, I looked in the deep freeze and see all the stuff that's in there from other cooks, along with home made Summer sausage and smoked sausage. We'll enjoy the fruits of my labor already spent!

Considering that a buddy asked about grabbing some beers this afternoon, I'd say I made the right choice.
Yes you did. I like to grill or smoke goodies on Sunday afternoon, freeze everything, split it all up into manageable meal sizes and just pick and choose what you want throughout the week. Can’t seem to get that single serving down size right now.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Daughter and son in law are visiting (along with the grand-dog). Keeping it simple this year. I made eggs and bacon for breakfast and will be grilling burgers (with green Chile, of course) for lunch. We’ll pop open a bottle or two of Gruet Blanc de Noirs sparkling wine to celebrate our Independence and the bounty of our adopted state of New Mexico.
I salute you sir.

The flat grill from Costco worked pretty well. Ended up substituting local draft beer from the Icebox in lieu of wine. Happy Independence Day to all!
6E1B7B69-10C1-4D79-90B9-528F741A4F9F.jpeg
055B96D0-0C4D-456C-A4D5-8247405F4917.jpeg
F620EE55-965F-4D64-94C4-6B852FE457F7.jpeg

Top Bottom