What's new

What are the top 3 choices for AS in terms of over all value and quality?

Alex-Krambert's is made in Maine. The Barbon is made in Hungary but is available in the States from Shaveabuck.com. The Barbon Cream is excellent too by the way.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Alex, AV appeals because it has everything...alcohol tingle upon immediately upon application, followed by a nice cooling menthol, with a nice clean scent that lingers just long enough, then fades gently. Glycerin helps moisturze, making for soft face feel. Readily available at drug and grocery stores at a great price. Check it out.

Can't do AV, classic "urinal puck" to me, Skin Bracer and Old Spice are both great for the money. Nivea energy is a great cheap balm.

Dominica Bay Rum
Dominica Bay Rum
Dominica Bay Rum

It has a light fragrance that doesn't linger very long.
It isn't greasy or sticky, no impulse to rinse your hands after applying, dries leaving a clean feeling.
Feels good after a shave.
I'm convinced the bay tree leaf oil is good for your skin (from my experience).
The price for 10 ounces isn't bad at all.

Speick because its price to performance ratio is off the chart,
Pinnaud Clubman because I love the old skool scent,
GFT Sandalwood Skinfood not strictly an AS, but worth a mention due to its amazing post shave feel.

Speick splash does a wonderful job of skincare, and is surprisingly moisturizing for an alcohol splash. It has the added advantage of a scent that is pleasant and pleasantly fleeting so that it doesn't interfere with cologne.

Nivea and Aveeno both make very good unscented balms that really soothe after a rough shave.

Alex, AV appeals because it has everything...alcohol tingle upon immediately upon application, followed by a nice cooling menthol, with a nice clean scent that lingers just long enough, then fades gently. Glycerin helps moisturze, making for soft face feel. Readily available at drug and grocery stores at a great price. Check it out.

AV I think may be one of the easiest to acquire, but i was already making a purchase from Italianbarber so picked up a bottle of the baby blue as my very first aftershave splash. Baby blue, AV and skin bracer all come out to be aproximately the same price for a similar volume, but I liked the way baby blues scent was described...initial scent that lasts about 20-30 minutes, and then a faint hint of a more complex scent for a couple hours. It amazed me how well it assisted with the shave :)

Barbasol Brisk is also great. Brut- classic masculine scent that turns very subtle after after about 30 minutes, but very long lasting.
Ah, who am I kidding? I'm a sucker for just about every classic AS and several modern offerings as well.

You're guilty of enabling, Alex! After reading this thread I just ordered Captain's Choice Bay Rum, Speick, and Pinaud Clubman.

Speik if your going to order it. If your going to wally world they have some great deals on English leather and stetson. The one I think fits the bill the best is Gillette cool wave. It coast around $5 and its the one I get the most compliments on and works great.

Last edited:
Just got my first ever Skin Bracer and while its not on my list of Fav scents it is still nice and the skin feel after this shave was very very good.

$sotd.jpg

Top Bottom