What's new

What Are The Sharpest Double Edge Blades Out There?

I am convinced that shaving with sharper blades is giving me a very slightly noticeable closer shave and I want the closest shave possible. So I want to know what all the sharpest blades out there are. I'm talking sharp as or sharper than feather blades I like those blades they give me probably the closest shave I have ever gotten but the problem with feathers specifically is they give me too many nicks. I want to order a blade sampler pack with all the sharpest blades here https://www.razorbladesclub.com/razorblades/

Sir, I suggest you may wish to specify your parameters a bit more closely!

For me, Feathers are very sharp indeed out of the wrapper. But they are done by shave 4/5. Kai blades are just as sharp on shave one and remain sharp for at least 7 shaves.

In contrast, Personna labs (or med preps) are not as sharp as Feathers on shave one or two. BUT they get sharper after a few shaves, then remain plenty sharp for 7-10 shaves.

In sum, I would argue that sharp out of the wrapper is different from sharpness over the life of the blade. This is especially true as some blades last twice as long as others. Just my $0.02!!

Sir, I suggest you may wish to specify your parameters a bit more closely!

For me, Feathers are very sharp indeed out of the wrapper. But they are done by shave 4/5. Kai blades are just as sharp on shave one and remain sharp for at least 7 shaves.

In contrast, Personna labs (or med preps) are not as sharp as Feathers on shave one or two. BUT they get sharper after a few shaves, then remain plenty sharp for 7-10 shaves.

In sum, I would argue that sharp out of the wrapper is different from sharpness over the life of the blade. This is especially true as some blades last twice as long as others. Just my $0.02!!
I am just looking for the sharpest blades out there and I will go buy them and test them myself to see what works for me. I will try those kai blades you mentioned. Thank you.

Feather and Kai are the top of the heap. I dont think any others compare.
JMO, but nicks and or weapers are from operator error. Not from the blade. Discomfort or irritation is more from you smin not getting along with the blade.
As I said, JMO. I hope you find what hour looking for.

Gillette 7 o’clock blacks are top notch for me. Easily double digits but usually twice that if I forget to change it.

Both. In sharpness testing I believe it was within anything perceivable to the feather but well above by the second shave and maintained it longer.

Specifying which blade is sharpest is confounded by the tendency of blades are start changing as soon as the blade touches beard and skin.

For most blades, the edge gets sharper as the coating wears off. Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black), Wilkinson Sword Classic (German), Gillette PermaSharp Super, and Personna Comfort Coated lab blue, and BIC Chrome Platinum blades all experience a significant improvement in sharpness after the initial shave. Most other blades experience a slight improvement in sharpness.

Feather blades are just the opposite. Out of the wrapper, Feathers are super sharp, but the edge seems to deteriorate quickly. Thus, the initial shave with Feather blades will be much sharper than subsequent shaves. There are some folks who love sharp blades who load a fresh Feather for every shave. If you do not mind the cost of doing this, it can provide a superb shaving experience in the right razor.

I have a very coarse beard and love very sharp blades. My favorites are BIC Chrome Platinum, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, Gillette Nacets, and Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli reds, now made in Germany). However, there are also some lesser known brands I also find to be great blades. These include: Dorco Prime Platinum SPT301, Durablade Sharp Titanium, Vidyut Super Max Blue Diamond, and Lord/Shark Platinum.

I like Wilkinson Sword Classic and Personna Comfort Coated lab blues after the 1st shave, but they are too dull for me until the coating starts to wear off. Although it does not quite fall into the same category as the ones already mentioned, I was surprised at the excellent performance of the Astra Superior Stainless blade. I do not find the Astra Superior Platinum blades to be quite sharp enough for my beard..

I am sure there are other blades out there that I could use. I have enough blades in my stash to last for my life expectancy, so I am not compelled to try any new blades.

Bic Astor
Bic Astor
Bic Astor

They rival Feather IMO. Bic Platinum Chrome is just slightly less sharp than Astor, but still a very sharp blade.
I have to do further testing, but my theory is that they are exactly the same as the BIC CP with a different coating. This likely means that they aren't "sharper", just smoother as a result of the different coating. Both the CP and Astor are sharper/as sharp as the Feather after the first use, but I'm not quite sure which BIC I prefer on that first shave as of yet. That being said, since the first shave German Wiki is sharp enough to smoothly get through my beard (assuming adequate prep), I don't "need" to quibble about which first shave BIC irritates me less, since the German Wiki is pretty much equivalent in sharpness after that first shaving. Though, I suppose having a blade that can cut through the growth without prep would be needed as well, which the BIC likely provides for better.

Last edited:
In my experience a Nacet or GSB come very close to a Feather in Sharpness, and retain their edge far longer, as well as being smoother. I think a Kai is just as sharp as a Feather, and may even feel sharper because of it's slightly wider width. I've also found that a Kai, just as the Nacet and GSB retains it's edge longer than a Feather.

If it’s the initial shave and you want the sharpest+smoothest, then nothing in my experience beats the Feather.
+1
Fantastic Friday Feather Shave!
IMG_1628.jpg

If you happen to already have a variety of blades, may I suggest you try the Great Blade Exchange. You can try a variety of blades for just the cost of a postage stamp. I would be happy to suggest blades if you like. Click the link at the bottom of my signature.

I am convinced that shaving with sharper blades is giving me a very slightly noticeable closer shave…

Oh, all the things we do for a very slightly much more betterer shave…. :pipe:

I believe the general consensus is that Feathers are among the sharpest blades out there and I enjoy using them.
But there is also a consensus that they don’t last quite as long as blades of similar sharpness (e.g. Nacet, BiCs, Perma-Sharp, Rapira and some others).

As you (indirectly) mentioned already, one of the drawbacks of truly sharp blades is that a user may nick himself very slightly much more easily.
Not every shaver is aware that razor blades are not at their best performance during the first shave and typically reach their peak only during shaves two and three, when they still retain their sharpness, but the cutting edge has lost some of the minute unevenness of the first shave(s) that made for a very slightly less comfortable shave.

B.

Last edited:
I must be the only person on this forum who finds Feathers give me 3-5 great shaves just like every other blade I use. They are my favorite blades but I tend to use them primarily in my AS-D2 and Ball End Techs. I am constantly amazed at all these little shaving details about blades so many here seem to observe. I'm oblivious to them (or just uninterested as I just don't have issues with blades - 3 to 5 shaves and done, always).

I must be the only person on this forum who finds Feathers give me 3-5 great shaves just like every other blade I use. They are my favorite blades but I tend to use them primarily in my AS-D2 and Ball End Techs. I am constantly amazed at all these little shaving details about blades so many here seem to observe. I'm oblivious to them (or just uninterested as I just don't have issues with blades - 3 to 5 shaves and done, always).

I don’t think your alone.

Feather blades give me up to a week of what I consider BBS shaves, but then I tend to discard them because I like to change razor blades on the same day every week.
Having said that, after that time I find that some other blades could probably provide me with a few more days of BBS shaves than Feathers do.

Whenever I tried to push it, after seven to ten shaves Feathers dropped off rapidly, while some other blades just seemed to keep soldiering on.
Maybe I get more than average mileage out of safety razor blades because I pay the same attention to my pre-shave routine no matter whether it is a safety razor or straight razor shave.

B.

Top Bottom