What's new

What are the next fashion trends?

I love old movies. Pre 1950 film noir. I love the clothes. I often wonder if we will ever go back to a more classic style of daily dress. Men have abandoned the suit and fedora, and have adopted the casual jeans tshirt and skip cap. Women have abandoned the dress and hat and have adopted spandex tights and t-shirts. Where oh where have the good old days gone? Yes, I know I live in a dream world. I wonder what the next fashion trends will be? Anyone care to speculate?

I love old movies!

Tough to beat the elegance and excellent haberdashery from those times IMHO!! :a29:

I suspect Hollywood's romanticized, glamourized version of what people wore mid 20th century or any other era had little to do with what the average person on the street was actually wearing.
dave

What the average person wore in the mid 20th Century depended on who and where and when. Work clothes different from dress clothes. Have seen men wear brand new overalls and long sleeved white shirts to church, alongside men wearing suits. Men were expected to have suits for such as weddings, funerals, and attending court (such as jury duty or what have you). Fedoras were common. Here straw hats were the thing in the summer, with a different straw hat for outside work than for dress up.

Here, a rural area, there were three levels of dress: work clothes, which meant for working outside; going to town clothes, which tended to be new work clothes or something a tad better; and dress clothes for special occasions. Note that various professions, such as doctors, lawyers, undertakers, etc. wore suits on a daily basis. Have heard of someone who changed suits at lunch in the summer to look sharp for greeting the public. Have a clear memory of a banker who did not wear a suit, preferring dress pants and a white shirt, with no tie.

Other than fluctuation of style, the biggest change in women's wear here is the pantsuit, which didn't exist locally.

The changes here now is the disappearance of the Fedora. The absence of them in local stories is why I've opted for a cowboy hat for dress wear. Into the 1990s, you could buy a dress hat, usually Bee brand. Woman's hats haven't completely gone by the wayside due the requirement of some denominations.

Dress standards have changed. Unless it was an emergency, we always changed into better clothes for a trip to town. That concept seems lost now. Suits have nearly disappeared at local churches, even at weddings and funerals. No longer required for jury duty, but maybe a decade ago heard a Federal court required men to wear a tie for jury duty. It's not universally jeans here. Work pants are preferred, unless you need a thicker fabric for protection. Spandex tights are not in widespread use, though have seen it abused. Tee shirts are a toss-up.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, if Hollywood of fifty years ago is to be believed, we will soon be all wearing matching unitards, with slight colour variations in the accents to denote societal rank and/or occupation.

I suspect Hollywood's romanticized, glamourized version of what people wore mid 20th century or any other era had little to do with what the average person on the street was actually wearing.
dave
I've seen a lot of old wire photos and archive photos, and I believe "Hollywood" could be quite accurate, when they wanted to be...same with set design.

I love old movies. Pre 1950 film noir. I love the clothes. I often wonder if we will ever go back to a more classic style of daily dress. Men have abandoned the suit and fedora, and have adopted the casual jeans tshirt and skip cap. Women have abandoned the dress and hat and have adopted spandex tights and t-shirts. Where oh where have the good old days gone? Yes, I know I live in a dream world. I wonder what the next fashion trends will be? Anyone care to speculate?

+1 have to agree with you. The old movies are great.
It would be very nice if hats and proper cut suits (not the skinny "I shrunk my laundry" floods of today), came back into fashion (as they have not gone out of style).

However, I am dreading what horrors will actually become the "latest trend"

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hats. Years ago everyone wore some sort of hat/cap. Quite often I see old photo's of large groups of people and they were all wearing some sort of head wear. These days we rarely wear hats at all. So many different styles of hats/caps that could be worn again. I have gone a little mad on Flat caps but LOTH won't be seen with me if I wear one. She says that I am not old enough to wear them yet. I would like to see hats come right back into fashion/style.

More wearable technology, fabrics that don't need cleaning as often, materials that can change in response to their environment. Now that dressing up for business or the theatre is optional for most people utility, comfort and practical concerns are the most important. A good thing too IMO - there are some great technical material around these days, may as well make use of them.

I am not fashion savvy enough to predict next fashion trends but the way sports brands are making inroads into casual dressing; it doesn't appear far in future when every one will be wearing clothes with little to differentiate from sport casual and formal.
Even the present trend is nothing to speak about but of course it is personal taste. I haven't bought any cotton Chinos for 5 years now even though I have been looking and just cannot get a standard 19 inch leg opening. Can't bring myself to wear those low waste carrot fitting slacks ready to slip off posterior. This trend is just endemic and not showing any sign of relenting.

Heading back to the 80’s! That’s my guess.
Box suits, skinny ties, angular graphics, mute pastels, anvil hairstyles, parachute pants, raccoon eye make-up, synth-pop! Yes kids, you missed all that!
David Bowie warned us: "Shoulder pads are the bell-bottoms of the Eighties." And he was right! A fad that crashed and burned faster than a Nehru jacket on Carnaby Street!
Have we learnt nothing?
Are we really doomed to repeat this?
If it comes back, I'll be the first to drink the Kool-Aid.
I just can't live through it twice.

If it comes back, I'll be the first to drink the Kool-Aid
You might want to order some more kool-aid if you add mullets hairstyle, frizzy perms and some more perms, neon aerobic leggings, acid wash jeans, neon tees, john mcenroe in headband, sunglasses at night, popped collars and pirate shirts.

Catastrophic success.

Top Bottom