What's new

What are the most un-fatted artisan soaps you have ever used?

Dear gents in this forum,
I have tried some artisan soaps brands.
I find some new brands to be too fatted, such as M&M, Chiseled Face, Noble Otter.
What are the most un-fatted artisan shaving soaps in your experiences?
(In my minds, I regard MdC and SV as non-artisan ones.)
I appreciate your inputs heartily.

Beehive to me is a lot like MdC in performance.
Ingredients: Stearic Acid, water, coconut oil, shea butter, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, sodium hydroxide, castor oil, fragrance.

CBL Tonsorial was a nice clean soap but appears to be replaced by Tonsorial Master Barber with added fats. There is a new CBL line Simplicity that might be interesting.

Oleo Soapworks available at WCS or Maggards are fine soaps. Simple ingredients lists and decent but not over the top PSF.

I'm sure there's more but these are the soaps I've actually used and appreciated.

What have you tried?

Last edited:
I'd say Soap Commander soaps are less-fatted than other artisan soaps out there. They still create a creamy lather but the feel is on the cleaner side than the fatty side. Clean simple, vegan ingredients.

Soap Commander has several Vegan soaps. I really like their Classic Spice scent.

Soap Commander has several Vegan soaps. I really like their Classic Spice scent.

I have that one and it's a great scent.

Now that you have me thinking about it, I should revisit my Henri et Victoria soaps. I don’t remember them ever over-saturating my face. They’re vegan.

I follow this thread with interest. Currently I have issues with too rich soaps.
One soap that I used and left me with a great fresh and clean post shave was Le Pere Lucien Traditionelle.

Arko, tabak, cella, Williams that’s all you need to know about soaps.

The OP asked about artisan soaps which is a more difficult question. Proven, reliable, beautiful old school goodness there's more to be found as you point out. La Toja would be top of the clean and refreshing list for instance maybe, eh?

So some advise if you don't mind. I have been wanting to try Cella but research on Cella is inconclusive. The aloe - green - seems to have more 'great PSF' descriptions than the red which tells me to avoid it. So I'm asking is the red at least neutral psf and does it actually rinse off clean? Which of the ones you mention is it most like in the post shave feel category? Arko, Tabac, Williams? Thank you.

OP forgive me for the hijack. I'll limit to this if you would allow a question please to a gentleman of like mind.

Last edited:
The OP asked about artisan soaps which is a more difficult question. Proven, reliable, beautiful old school goodness there's more to be found as you point out. La Toja would be top of the clean and refreshing list for instance maybe, eh?

So some advise if you don't mind. I have been wanting to try Cella but research on Cella is inconclusive. The aloe - green - seems to have more 'great PSF' descriptions than the red which tells me to avoid it. So I'm asking is the red at least neutral psf and does it actually rinse off clean? Which of the ones you mention is it most like in the post shave feel category? Arko, Tabac, Williams? Thank you.

OP forgive me for the hijack. I'll limit to this if you would allow a question please to a gentleman of like mind.

Yes, for sure!!

Beehive to me is a lot like MdC in performance.
Ingredients: Stearic Acid, water, coconut oil, shea butter, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, sodium hydroxide, castor oil, fragrance.

CBL Tonsorial was a nice clean soap but appears to be replaced by Tonsorial Master Barber with added fats. There is a new CBL line Simplicity that might be interesting.

Oleo Soapworks available at WCS or Maggards are fine soaps. Simple ingredients lists and decent but not over the top PSF.

I'm sure there's more but these are the soaps I've actually used and appreciated.

What have you tried?

Hi old_school,
I appreciate your inputs a lot.
Considering shipping cost, Beehive and CBL are not easy to get for me (in Taiwan).
I will try Oleo and Soap Commander soon.
In past few years, besides CF and M&M, I also tried B&M, Stirling, and DG.
B&M is not super fatted, but I can not get decent lather with Reserve Lines.
Stirling is surely not super-fatted, but only has average performances.
Besides, Stirling scents are way too synthetic for me.
DG is also too fatted.
I like clean feel.
Sometimes I felt tired of paying extra cost for getting such fatted soaps.
Any forthcoming opinions are highly welcome and appreciated.

Hi old_school,
I appreciate your inputs a lot.
Considering shipping cost, Beehive and CBL are not easy to get for me (in Taiwan).
I will try Oleo and Soap Commander soon.
In past few years, besides CF and M&M, I also tried B&M, Stirling, and DG.
B&M is not super fatted, but I can not get decent lather with Reserve Lines.
Stirling is surely not super-fatted, but only has average performances.
Besides, Stirling scents are way too synthetic for me.
DG is also too fatted.
I like clean feel.
Sometimes I felt tired of paying extra cost for getting such fatted soaps.
Any forthcoming opinions are highly welcome and appreciated.
If you like the clean feel, I think simple creams may fit what you're looking for. I've tried creams like Palmolive, Gillette Pure, and Proraso and they all leave me with a clean feel rather than the fattier feel with artisan soaps. That said, I like the extra residual slickness and moisturizing properties of an artisan soap but I can use either.

You could also try Saponificio Bignoli, a small Italian artisan company, they make old-style Italian soaps, almost all plant-based. I would also recommend the Vitos, it is not an artisan soap but it has excellent performance and has a good post shave for me, I have only tried the red one and I prefer it to the Cella.

If you like the clean feel, I think simple creams may fit what you're looking for. I've tried creams like Palmolive, Gillette Pure, and Proraso and they all leave me with a clean feel rather than the fattier feel with artisan soaps. That said, I like the extra residual slickness and moisturizing properties of an artisan soap but I can use either.

Thank you very much, @Timeclo.
In fact, I have been stick with some classical hard soaps and italian croaps for a while.
However, artisan soaps attract me as well.

Dear gents in this forum,
I have tried some artisan soaps brands.
I find some new brands to be too fatted, such as M&M, Chiseled Face, Noble Otter.
What are the most un-fatted artisan shaving soaps in your experiences?
(In my minds, I regard MdC and SV as non-artisan ones.)
I appreciate your inputs heartily.
@Vincentchou, it would've been helpful if you had stated what you are looking for. Thinking of:

> Latherabilty
> Primary slickness
> Residual slickness
> Post-shave feel
Etc, etc...

Is it the paramount objective for it to be "artisan" (whatever the heck that means) or to provide superb performance?

As you stated you don't consider SV and MdC "artisan". I can't help but ask you - why that matters?

Cella Bio is another great vegan choice, albeit not artisan either.

Take a look at Dr. Jon's. Another vegan soap that is not super-fatted, and they have great scents.
I came on this thread to recommend Dr Jon's. I see I was beat to the punch.
Nice, rich lather that shaves great and leaves the face smooth and soft, without the feeling of too much superfatting. Scents are generally really nice, too. A highly underappreciated artisan, imo.

Top Bottom