What's new

What are the most disappointing razors you have purchased?

There are two razors I have purchased that never get pulled from the drawer.

One is a Merkur 25C open comb. Although it is not a cheap razor, I find it to be cheaply made. I do have other open comb razors that i use.

The other is a Van der Hagen short handle TTO. I do not like the short handle version of the razor, but I also have a long handled version which I use nearly every shave for my clean-up pass.

Mastro Livi, without any doubt.
My six consistently place at the bottom of my 80 or so straight razor rotation (and I have successfully honed all of them to a keen and comfortable edge - minus these six).

I fell for the propaganda (in other words should have done my homework better) of a gentleman from the same town who sung Mastro Livi’s praises every day and created an extensive library of Mastro Livi videos. I was attracted by the videos that this gentleman produced together with Mastro Livi, and when I did a trip to Italy I even took a side-trip there.
Later Livi seemed to have had a falling out with this gentleman, just like he had with his then US importer, who also used to be full of praise for Livi razors, but Livi did not appear to be easy to get along with and did not take to criticism easily.

Within a few months, I ended up with a total of seven of them, but I quickly (unfortunately not quickly enough) realized that they didn’t shave so well.
I tried to hone them, as it is not uncommon that a new razor needs some extra work, and with one in particular I kept trying and trying as it just did not go into my head that some razors are beyond salvation.
I admit, I got increasingly frustrated and kept trying with the above one until I had pretty much ruined the thing, but at that stage I just didn’t care any longer. This thing was only good as a letter opener - and even for that it was a little bit to large.

Of course, the smart thing would have been to wrap it up and send it back to Livi to be either fixed or demand a refund.
Having tried that once, Italian Customs demanded that I pay an exorbitant import duty and VAT on a razor that was after all made in Italy. So I did not repeat that exercise again…

What I did instead was to send the Livis to a well-known German razor maker (please don’t ask me his name, but his razors are well-known and known to be good value for money) whom I got to know quite well, and asked him whether he could take a look.
He did, tried his best so that I could get at least a 1/2-decent shave from them (still the on bottom rungs of my rotation ladder though) and his assessment was devastating: sloppily made, poor heat treatment, uneven edge…

Well they were unique pieces alright.

Should have saved my money and instead of hand-made should have gone for well-made.

In all fairness, I believe there was a time when Livi did great razors, otherwise he would never have gained the high reputation that he once had and my bad luck was that I bought my razors at a time when his creations were no longer what they (maybe) used to be.

Lesson learnt and since then I take anything “artisan” (e.g. shaving soaps) with a grain of salt.

B

Last edited:
I’m probably going to get hate mail for this or banned, but here goes. My Gillette slim. Hold on. It’s good but... where I’m from, it isn’t even close to easy to get. Shipping with duty slapped on makes it a bit of a spoiled brat buy. And in the end, that was what it was. I bought it because of the fame. I have at least 5 razors that are better than my slim. 2 of them being my tech fat handle and my rocket. Honestly, any razorock is better than my slim. Don’t know if it is just mine that has some kind of problem, but it’s going on the for sale list for sure.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’m probably going to get hate mail for this or banned, but here goes. My Gillette slim. Hold on. It’s good but... where I’m from, it isn’t even close to easy to get. Shipping with duty slapped on makes it a bit of a spoiled brat buy. And in the end, that was what it was. I bought it because of the fame. I have at least 5 razors that are better than my slim. 2 of them being my tech fat handle and my rocket. Honestly, any razorock is better than my slim. Don’t know if it is just mine that has some kind of problem, but it’s going on the for sale list for sure.

You might have alignment issues; make sure the bars look even on both sides. If it looks good, then maybe it’s just not for you. In which case …
1626545999709.gif

There’s a new member here wanting a Slim. Doesn’t have enough posts to post in BST.

I purchased a Feather Popular based on glowing reviews. It is a worthless razor: the gap is uneven on both sides and warps when tightened. I am mystified by the number of positive reviews.

Picked up my first Gem off Ebay after having recently discovered my love for SEs. It didn't hold the blade firmly, so I returned the damn thing. So that's my only acquisition that was a real disappointment. I've since acquired a few GEMs from this forum, which I love.

• Love
Reactions: GNR
I've got 3 slims the first 2 i bought just didn't shave right.Because people said how good they were i thought they must be faulty so bought another.This one is a superb shave like a different razor can't fault it.My guess is yours might be faulty.

My most expensive disappointment was an EJ Chatsworth Barley. A gorgeous DE, but the handle was too long to for me to adjust to, going from shorter handle carts, SS, Techs, and Merkur 34G. When my stepdad died in 2001, I found an unused 1941 Aristocrat in his dresser. Before I used it, I bought a late 40's Aristocrat to test it out and found it too aggressive for me. The 1941 is still unused.

I’m still looking for a slim that shaves nice. I’ve got one but it doesn’t shave really nice/smooth. Nothing compared to an Aristocrat or Krona or even a Karve or RazoRock. I’ve got another one waiting for me at my P.O. Box in the states. Fingers crossed it’s better. There’s a local one for sale for about $38 US that’s in really nice shape I might pick up but no case.

I don't own my most disappointed razor anymore. It was an RR aluminum Lupo. Was able to trade it on the BST for a razor I've been using lately in my rotation, a Merkur 33C. 😁

I just don't get along with adjustables. I gave away my Fatboy, sold my Schick M, still have a Slim, but merely admire the mechanism without any remaining desire to shave with it.

Generally, in TTOs, I enjoy only the Micromatics' shaving qualities. Sorry, Gillette. This is a great thread for YMMV!

I've got 3 slims the first 2 i bought just didn't shave right.Because people said how good they were i thought they must be faulty so bought another.This one is a superb shave like a different razor can't fault it.My guess is yours might be faulty.
Thanks for the comment 👍 It has to be faulty. So many people love this razor.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I just don't get along with adjustables. I gave away my Fatboy, sold my Schick M, still have a Slim, but merely admire the mechanism without any remaining desire to shave with it.

Generally, in TTOs, I enjoy only the Micromatics' shaving qualities. Sorry, Gillette. This is a great thread for YMMV!
That Fatboy on the Loose just needed to have the guard bars straightened up @Tanuki, and it shaves great on #5 now.
I'm keeping it!
I will have to admit that I originally hated my Slim, it sat in the back of the drawer almost 2 years, getting used about once a year. Then I decided to give it more of a chance and started on setting #1, only dialing it up for each shave until it became uncomfortable, then going back down one setting. I have found that on setting #4 it delivers a very comfortable and close shave with a Feather blade.

lasta

Blade Biter
Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant.

Spent 2 hours trying to hone it before realizing the bevel was curved. Tried to compensate for the curvature over the next few weeks but still couldn't get it anywhere near hair popping sharp. Gave up after ~10 hours total time on the stones.

Top Bottom