What's new

What are the most disappointing razors you have purchased?

Have you ever been disappointed by a razor you bought?

I don't mean mere buyer's regret, perhaps due to not doing your homework or making an impulse buy. Who hasn't?

I'm talking about a razor that's gotten a lot of buzz, by the manufacturer, the seller, online reviews, the shaving community, or all of the above. And especially one with a premium price tag.

You get the razor, try it, and say, "What's the big deal?" Or, "I really, really don't like this razor. I can't understand why there was all that hype." Or, "I can't believe I spent that much for this mediocre razor." Or, "A $100 razor really should not fall apart after one month." Or worse, "What kind of %*#&@! idiot designed this razor?"

Some of the razors in this category are perhaps flash in the pan fads that soon fade to oblivion. Some are weird throw-it-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks experiments from certain foreign manufacturers. Others are classic razors.

Of course, sometimes we might not like a razor, and change our opinion later. I've done that lots of times. For example, lots of people dislike a Fatip the first time they use one.

The flip side of this question is, have you ever recommended a razor, adding to the buzz, that you later came to dislike?

(BTW, there are certain razors I really like that, from what I've read here, some people dislike, or even detest. So keep that in mind when reading or making these comments -- YMMV!)

Remember that razor hidden in the back of a drawer or closet you prefer to forget you ever bought?* Now's your chance to spill the beans.

To paraphrase Alice Longworth Roosevelt and/or Dorothy Parker: If you don't have anything nice to say about a razor, come and post it here.

-=-

You might want to get it out and try it again. Who knows?

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I will admit that I was initially not overly impressed with my (expensive to me) Revisor 6-0035. Now, the more I use it the more it grows on me. I think that it may soon be my favourite.

As for total disappointment, that would have to be my first SR, a lovely Chinese stainless steel blade with timber scales for USD 5 including shipping. That was a perfect RSO. Some here said that it wouldn't even make a decent letter opener. I proved them wrong. After a lot of judicious grinding and honing, it made a very fine letter opener 😁.

Last edited:
I had an EJ 89 or whatever they're called that was tough to get a good shave with. Lasted a year and a half before the zamak devoured itself and went to pieces.

Also had a Merkur 1904 that was an average shaver whose zamak also ended it after a year and a half.

I currently have a Gillette Slim Adjustable that I'm trying to get decent shaves with. It's beautiful but honestly not worth anything as a shaver. On 1 it doesn't shave, on 9 the blade angle is nearly horizontal and therefore ineffective yet painful. In between is various variations of useless. Pretty as it is I just don't get along with it- there are too many great razors out there so in the drawer it sits. And to think back in the day guys just got whatever razor was available and suffered through 50 years of it!

I love my old types and recently got a 1927 (i think by memory) old type with the thick cap.it cleaned up almost like new and all the teeth are straight everything is mint with it.but it's nothing like my thin cap single ring..i might give it another shot sometime soon

I have 2 razors that come to mind.....EJ DE89 and the FOCS. Neither provided very good shaves for me. The DE89 irritated my neck something fierce. I never did get that one figured out...it was a long time ago. The FOCS was rough and less efficient than most of my other razors I prefer. It didn't irritate my skin, it just wasn't very comfortable no matter the blade. I don't miss them.

Weishi 9306. I saw a vid by some guy in TX raving about it. It wasn’t expensive so I ordered a pretty gold one. Doesn’t shave. Doesn’t do anything, like it has no blade. Now it sits on my dresser as an ornament. I’ll PIF it if anyone wants a pretty razor that doesn’t shave.

I think you get the prize for the No. 1 most over-hyped razor. Everyone who has ever bought a Weishi and has been disappointed by the shave (but not the looks) raise your hand!

Oddly enough, I did get a few good shaves with a Weishi when I was camping, and shaved on the side of a very cold river. My guess is it prefers overgrown whiskers, the usual condition in much of the third world, and maybe cold, stiff ones. Perhaps there is a technique for getting a good shave from one. Anyone have some suggestions?

While the Weishi is pretty, the gold wears off too easily, or at least the varnish over it.

I had an EJ 89 or whatever they're called that was tough to get a good shave with. Lasted a year and a half before the zamak devoured itself and went to pieces.

Also had a Merkur 1904 that was an average shaver whose zamak also ended it after a year and a half.

I currently have a Gillette Slim Adjustable that I'm trying to get decent shaves with. It's beautiful but honestly not worth anything as a shaver. On 1 it doesn't shave, on 9 the blade angle is nearly horizontal and therefore ineffective yet painful. In between is various variations of useless. Pretty as it is I just don't get along with it- there are too many great razors out there so in the drawer it sits. And to think back in the day guys just got whatever razor was available and suffered through 50 years of it!
There must be something mechanically wrong with your Gillette Slim. It's a great razor. I've never heard anyone else criticize a Gillette Slim. I find all the Gillette adjustable's to be excellent, and they all deliver quality shaves that are close and comfortable.

Muhle R89 + Gillette Slim. The 89 was just far too mild. Maybe changing technique could’ve improved the shaves but I’ll prob never know. As for the Slim I can get a close enough shave but it usually comes with several nicks. I chalk it up to the fact that these things are old and at this point some are better than others. I have another I will try eventually.

I had a Razorock Black Hawk V2 single blade razor. It was made of aluminum, so it was, in my opinion, too light. It seemed to skip a lot, and it just never felt smooth or able to shave well. I tried different blades, but it made no difference. It could have been that I was using too light a touch for an aluminum razor; I used a G37 slant primarily at the time, which required a lighter touch than standard razors.

I'm sure it's a decent razor, but just not for me.

Muhle R89 + Gillette Slim. The 89 was just far too mild. Maybe changing technique could’ve improved the shaves but I’ll prob never know. As for the Slim I can get a close enough shave but it usually comes with several nicks. I chalk it up to the fact that these things are old and at this point some are better than others. I have another I will try eventually.

That’s too bad about the Slim. Mine is one of my favorite shavers, and can get a good shave even on a lower setting like 3. But as you said, they’re old and not all the same anymore. Not to mention the good old YMMV.

There must be something mechanically wrong with your Gillette Slim. It's a great razor. I've never heard anyone else criticize a Gillette Slim. I find all the Gillette adjustable's to be excellent, and they all deliver quality shaves that are close and comfortable.

I appreciate your input! It's a pretty mint razor, barely if at all previously used, and in its original case with original packaging. I got it on the bay from an apparent estate reseller.

The mechanics work perfectly and the adjustments are crisp. Doors close cleanly and everything is even and balanced. Sparkles like new.

There's just something about how it holds the blade. It could also be just that my favorite blades aren't the best in it.

It shaves, it isn't a broken razor. Mostly it's just too mild for me- setting 1 through 7 don't give me the bbs that I get with other razors (esp FOCS) and setting 8 and 9 reveal the blade too much and at an awkward angle for me. At the higher settings the blade loses its downward curve so it scrapes more than it surgically slices.

It's a truly beautiful razor just completely mediocre for me and no joy to use. I keep giving it chances and will continue to do so but I can't help but to instinctively reach for the razors that are consistently solid performers.

I also have a Gillette Super Speed and a Knack, both of which shave great. Solid bbs whenever I go for it.

It's probably also that I'm just not a big fan of TTO's. Although easy and safe to use I find them bulky and lacking effeciency.

I know it's just a YMMV thing because most people love them, but for me it doesn't live up to expectations. If I wanted a basic, middle of the road easy shaver I'd be happier with it. I want to like it for its good looks but as it shaves it's just in the way...

Last edited:
I appreciate your input! It's a pretty mint razor, barely if at all previously used, and in its original case with original packaging. I got it on the bay from an apparent estate reseller.

The mechanics work perfectly and the adjustments are crisp. Doors close cleanly and everything is even and balanced. Sparkles like new.

There's just something about how it holds the blade. It could also be just that my favorite blades aren't the best in it.

It shaves, it isn't a broken razor. Mostly it's just too mild for me- setting 1 through 7 don't give me the bbs that I get with other razors (esp FOCS) and setting 8 and 9 reveal the blade too much and at an awkward angle for me. At the higher settings the blade loses its downward curve so it scrapes more than it surgically slices.

It's a truly beautiful razor just completely mediocre for me and no joy to use. I keep giving it chances and will continue to do so but I can't help but to instinctively reach for the razors that are consistently solid performers.

I also have a Gillette Super Speed and a Knack, both of which shave great. Solid bbs whenever I go for it.

It's probably also that I'm just not a big fan of TTO's. Although easy and safe to use I find them bulky and lacking effeciency.

I know it's just a YMMV thing because most people love them, but for me it doesn't live up to expectations. If I wanted a basic, middle of the road easy shaver I'd be happier with it. I want to like it for its good looks but as it shaves it's just in the way...
Do you rate the coarseness of your whiskers as light, medium, or heavy? How many passes do you take for a typical shave? What setting does it shave you best? What brand of blade do you use? Is your prep, angle and pressure reasonably good? I wonder if the calibration of your Slim is off, and "all" the settings are set too mild?

I have tough "old man" whiskers. I do 3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG, once in awhile I do 4 passes. A setting of 6 on a Slim is perfect for me. I'm a "set it and leave it" guy. I don't monkey around with the settings during the shave. I find any brand of blade works pretty similar in my Slim.

Judging by the number of Wolfman razors that I have seen sold on the BST forum, price doesn't guarantee happiness with a razor. That's what has held me back from buying one. Imagine waiting 6 months on a wait list then handing over a bucket of money only to find that the razor doesn't suit you. Everyone is different and many people don't care for the mild razors that I like.

I am with you on the EJ 89. After many years of many razors, the EJ 89 is about the only razor of my 30 or so that will not give me a close shave, yet still nicks me. This is a total mystery. I haven't had the disintegration problem, but it is nearly useless to me.

Top Bottom