What's new

What are the most disappointing razors you have purchased?

Judging by the number of Wolfman razors that I have seen sold on the BST forum, price doesn't guarantee happiness with a razor. That's what has held me back from buying one. Imagine waiting 6 months on a wait list then handing over a bucket of money only to find that the razor doesn't suit you. Everyone is different and many people don't care for the mild razors that I like.
I decided to dip my toe in The Wolfman waters by picking up one on the contributors BST section. At least I avoided a long wait for the razor but even that is down to about 3 months now. I purchased the WR2 1.15 SB version and so far I am very happy with this razor. As has already been mentioned, most of the Wolfman razors sold on the BST are being or have been replaced by other Wolfman razors of a different blade gap and efficiency. The search for the perfect razor is never ending.

RazoRock Jaws 84 and Blackland Tradere OC. These two just didn't work for me even though I have a RR Game Changer 84 OC and a Blackbird OC that gave me some of my best DE shaves before I switched to mostly straights.

Hmm, not sure strictly disappointing. Maybe some didn't meet expectation... but was a learning experience.

For me, the Paradigm Ti2 and Carbon Cx-Ti. Both nicely made and finished, the Ti2 I loved the balance (maybe the best razor i've had yet) but I found it frustratingly inefficient for me. The Carbon was similar, I had the ++ plate, it was quite efficient but not enough blade-feel for me (even though it had a blade gap over 1 mm).

I thought they'd be RAD killers, but just weren't. It helped me solidify what attributes I enjoy in a razor.

The Vikings Blade Chieftain I bought for $40 when I started this wet shaving journey in 2019 was a big disappointment. Nothing more than an overpriced/overhyped Baili selling for $7.
I had never heard of B&B and did all my "research" on amazon and some other "Top 5 DE Razor" websites. I coulda just got a VDH at Walmart and been better off for half the price.
Everything @Rosseforp said except replace "Chieftain" with "Godfather" in my case.

Years ago I bought a QShave tto thing. Broke within the first month.
For some reason I’ve kept it just in case I can ever use it for something.
Why do I do this?
I’ve a shed full of bits of wood I may find useful one day. Crazy🤪

I bought one year ago a Yaqi Adjustable :mad2:

The driving motif of this acquisition was it's looking of Vintage Gibbs...

The adjusting mechanism and top cap holding screw both working horrible. When you tighten any of these the blade alignment becomes slantish. It is not a proper shaving tool at all.

The V2 Yaqi Adjustable was the same either (I received the second generation for a test drive). Yaqi did not made any improvement which is unbelivable :mad5::mad5:

For me, it was the black handled in the Muhle 100 series. As well made as one would expect, but having to ride the cap that much means it's in pristine condition in an extras box. I won't get into the Wilkinson Classic from Walmart :cursing:

Muhle R41. I love it but it’s never produced a great final shave.

Feather popular. A fantastic little razor and IMO the best quality modern TTO under $100. And there’s no way to put a heavier handle on it.

Razorock. I really like them. The complete razors are a great value. The disappointing part is that RR has a fantastic system of modular base plates that are prohibitively expensive.

For me, it’s the Oneblade Genesis. I thought it would be quick and easy, giving a strong shave very quickly. I’ve not yet gotten a shave as close as even just a one-pass DE, Straight, or SE razor. I’ve still gotten some nicks. It looks beautiful and feels great to hold, but i just get no results. I read reviews and blogs and many suggested it was a game changer or something; it may be for others. Just not for me.

Parker slant. Not Parker’s fault though… I think I just don’t like slants. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I find the Parker semi-slant to be a wonderful razor. Yeah, you do have to like slants. Being a semi-slant, it is easier to use than picking up a full slant might be.

The razor is very well designed, well made, and well finished. I love the handle length and weight I believe if to be a fantastic value. I read a review of another slant type razor in which people were asking whether the edge of the blade should align with the edge of the cap or the safety bar. To me that is a sign of a poorly made razor. With the Parker semi-slant, you drop the blade in, tighten it up and everything is in perfect allignment.

For me it was the FOCS (fatip OC slant)

It was not expensive but got a lot of praise on the forum and I had high expectations.
I can get a decent shave but I was really dissapointed in razors efficiency. It has more trouble on 3 days of growth than Rockwell on plate 4.
Could be my tehnique but I just can't get that smooth and efficient feeling from it, there is a lot of bite

For me it was the FOCS (fatip OC slant)

It was not expensive but got a lot of praise on the forum and I had high expectations.
I can get a decent shave but I was really dissapointed in razors efficiency. It has more trouble on 3 days of growth than Rockwell on plate 4.
Could be my tehnique but I just can't get that smooth and efficient feeling from it, there is a lot of bite

The Wilkinson Sword TTO Classic Razor. Looks great, easy to load and cheap. Unfortunately it doesn't shave very well because the blade isn't clamped in place properly. It's actually a rebadged Weishi 9306 with a different handle, which explains a lot.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Ming Shi 2000. Was quite good when I first bought it, but eventually, it ceased to index consistently, so I had to make my blade gap adjustments by eye. Not a good idea.

Did dust it off for "Frugal SOTD Week," but couldn't really get a satisfactory shave, so back in the cupboard it went, where I hope it will heal itself.:thumbdown

Didn't cost much, so no big loss.

Merkur 37G. I could shave with it but the results were meh. Because of that razor I stayed away from slants in general for years. It was the PAA bakelite OC slant that made me see the 'light' again.

Unlike the majority of responses here, I can't really complain about the performance of my previous razors (sans the aggressive ones). In fact, my current Rockwell 6S shaves as well as my very first, much cheaper DE razor - a Merkur 15C. I didn't like the short life span of my previous razors and the gradual worsening of the shave quality as a result of razor (head) deterioration.

Fortunately, the forum market analysts pointed me in the right direction for a durable, well-made tool earlier this year.

Top Bottom