What's new

What are the most disappointing razors you have purchased?

I just don't get along with adjustables. I gave away my Fatboy, sold my Schick M, still have a Slim, but merely admire the mechanism without any remaining desire to shave with it.

Generally, in TTOs, I enjoy only the Micromatics' shaving qualities. Sorry, Gillette. This is a great thread for YMMV!
set it on the mild side (for you) and use an aggressive blade. See how that works.

I had an early Gillette executive, ie Gold Fatboy, that I couldn't align in 3 dimensions as the centre shaft was twisted/mangled, you fix one thing, then another set of angles went skewwhiff, it was like playing a wacka-a-mole.

I think people having bad experiences with Slims must have bad luck with alignment issues, I find the range of settings on a bonafide slim or FB should be able to please everyone.

I've only ever been genuinely miffed with two razors:

1, Rockwell 2C - it gave a great shave but the threading stripped the first time I changed blade... Got half a dozen nice shaves out of it though before it got binned ;)

2, Blackland Dart - gorgeous, beautifully made but rough as a badgers arse and lethal... The only people who can possibly enjoy this razor are those who can't feel the blade in an R41...

Anything by Fatip (not nearly as efficient as advertised); Hawk v2 and v3 (dislike the AC format); MMOC (dislike the GEM format); ikon tech and Yaqi beast and helmet (chattery mess)

I've only ever been genuinely miffed with two razors:

1, Rockwell 2C - it gave a great shave but the threading stripped the first time I changed blade... Got half a dozen nice shaves out of it though before it got binned ;)

2, Blackland Dart - gorgeous, beautifully made but rough as a badgers arse and lethal... The only people who can possibly enjoy this razor are those who can't feel the blade in an R41...

Now I'm even more disappointed Dart was pulled from the market before I got to try it...

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Only disappointed when my razors are irresponsible and nick my face. Or, when they forget to change out dull blades. Or when they get lazy and fail to maintain the correct angle. Man, I hate it when my razors don't accept responsibility.

images.jpg

However you want to refer to it, but Super Adjustable, Black Beauty, that razor model I have four of and like none of… just didn’t age well and are finicky/fragile

There is a thread here in B&B on why is B&B so good. This thread shows it.
Before B&B if you got bit by your razor you were lost in the wild.
Now, maybe it ain’t you.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The Vikings Blade Chieftain I bought for $40 when I started this wet shaving journey in 2019 was a big disappointment. Nothing more than an overpriced/overhyped Baili selling for $7.
I had never heard of B&B and did all my "research" on amazon and some other "Top 5 DE Razor" websites. I coulda just got a VDH at Walmart and been better off for half the price.

Up until recently I only had one razor I didn’t like, the Blackland Dart. So so rough, I don’t know how anyone could enjoy that razor.

Recently though I’ve also retired my Supply V1 as I find the mild plate too mild and the classic too aggressive, and also the Wilkinson Sword TTO I bought a few months ago, for whatever reason I find it very scratchy and uncomfortable.

The Fatip grande was my worst razor. Had horrible alignment issues. It was literally impossible to get it perfect on both sides. I would have to use a pair of tweezers and magnifying glass. It's the only razor that I would ever get random nicks from. It was just too tedious to do that every time I changed blades. Ended up just throwing it away. Wasn't worth shipping back

Mine is a Fatip as well. I bought a Metal Black RETRO. I looked like an extra on an 80's slasher movie for several shaves. I put it away for a few years. Took it up again and managed to eek out a reasonable quality shave. It was still an unpleasent experience. It's being relegated to a decoration soon.

Might earn a pitchfork mob or two, but pretty much every vintage Gillette I ever owned. I had techs, old types, news, super speeds, and even a Slim and a Fatboy. The Weishi I started with shaved better than all of them. Luckily I found the world of modern machined razors at EXACTLY the right time (Tradere gen 1 OC and SB), and now I'm set for life.

Along the way I also picked up a first run Weber DLC razor. I don't think I would call it disappointing, but I don't particularly favor it either. I mostly keep it for traveling to places where I don't feel comfortable taking a Tradere, hehe.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
None. I've liked all my razors and been very happy with the progression of razors I've purchased.

EJ 89 (many great shaves, gave to a friend)
Slim
Mergress
ATT - M1, M2, R1, S1 (recently added Windsor as great travel razor)
Wolfman WR1/WRH1

Merkur 34C
I've tried this razor with a variety of blades, including Feather and Kai, but could never get a close shave with it. :(

Hands down it was the Janus LE Toggle. The prototype had rave reviews, it was described as efficient, smooth and comfortable and was a stainless steel Toggle. What could go wrong? Everything, the production model was changed based on the advice of a few that apparently never tested the prototype. The head was changed, blade exposure increased, gaps increased and for me the most difficult and uncomfortable razor I ever used. Fortunately I was able to return it and was only out for the postage. Great ideas don’t always get executed properly. I hope the manufacturer has learned and if there is a next razor it is more properly evaluated.

My first one- which was a TTO and I ended up dropping it. It was starting to rust anyway..
I bought some random Global Shave club tech clone and one of the bars came bent. Trashed.
I did mention the Supply V2 in an earlier post. My opinion has not changed.
The only current razor I own that I don't pick up once in a while is my Edwin Jagger DE89. It has blade alignment issues and I think the Muhle R89 edges it out. I should pick up the Muhle again sometime soon...The EJ was great before I was exposed to better razors though.

Top Bottom