What's new

What are the most disappointing razors you have purchased?

Have you ever been disappointed by a razor you bought?

I don't mean mere buyer's regret, perhaps due to not doing your homework or making an impulse buy. Who hasn't?

I'm talking about a razor that's gotten a lot of buzz, by the manufacturer, the seller, online reviews, the shaving community, or all of the above. And especially one with a premium price tag.

You get the razor, try it, and say, "What's the big deal?" Or, "I really, really don't like this razor. I can't understand why there was all that hype." Or, "I can't believe I spent that much for this mediocre razor." Or, "A $100 razor really should not fall apart after one month." Or worse, "What kind of %*#&@! idiot designed this razor?"

Some of the razors in this category are perhaps flash in the pan fads that soon fade to oblivion. Some are weird throw-it-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks experiments from certain foreign manufacturers. Others are classic razors.

Of course, sometimes we might not like a razor, and change our opinion later. I've done that lots of times. For example, lots of people dislike a Fatip the first time they use one.

The flip side of this question is, have you ever recommended a razor, adding to the buzz, that you later came to dislike?

(BTW, there are certain razors I really like that, from what I've read here, some people dislike, or even detest. So keep that in mind when reading or making these comments -- YMMV!)

Remember that razor hidden in the back of a drawer or closet you prefer to forget you ever bought?* Now's your chance to spill the beans.

To paraphrase Alice Longworth Roosevelt and/or Dorothy Parker: If you don't have anything nice to say about a razor, come and post it here.

-=-

You might want to get it out and try it again. Who knows?
I would have to say both holy black razors. I have set them in a drawer for months to retry them. SE results. The finish seems to create a drag on my face despite using various soaps, creams and preshave. I get some Knicks and always irrigation. I have them back in my drawer to try later. Best regards Ron

I would have to say both holy black razors. I have set them in a drawer for months to retry them. SE results. The finish seems to create a drag on my face despite using various soaps, creams and preshave. I get some Knicks and always irrigation. I have them back in my drawer to try later. Best regards Ron
Just a addition here after putting razors in a drawer and then coming back to them after several months I've had a better luck with them, maybe my technique is just improving. But with the holy blacks I continuously disappointed

For me it’s a couple, mostly because they didn’t work for me. First it’s the Paradigm 17-4, couldn’t get a close shave and felt really rough atg, second it’s the game changer .68 sb, really smooth razor but I couldn’t get a close shave and after shave always stung hard, third is the paa ascension SS, shave is uncomfortable and rough and after shave hurts a lot.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Schick Krona. I'm gonna PIF it one of these days. I finally found a razor that was too mild, even for me.

I think you get the prize for the No. 1 most over-hyped razor. Everyone who has ever bought a Weishi and has been disappointed by the shave (but not the looks) raise your hand!

Oddly enough, I did get a few good shaves with a Weishi when I was camping, and shaved on the side of a very cold river. My guess is it prefers overgrown whiskers, the usual condition in much of the third world, and maybe cold, stiff ones. Perhaps there is a technique for getting a good shave from one. Anyone have some suggestions?

While the Weishi is pretty, the gold wears off too easily, or at least the varnish over it.
Isn't the cheap razor that Van der Hagen sells a Weishi? I was under the impression that it was.

Isn't the cheap razor that Van der Hagen sells a Weishi? I was under the impression that it was.
I have one of the Van der Hagen long handled razors (rebranded Weishi). Mine is a great razor. It is my razor of choice for my clean-up pass after a three pass shave. Of course, as a very mild razor, it works best with a super sharp blade like BIC or Nacet.

I also use the VDH for travel and do the entire shave with that razor. As long as the blade is really sharp, the shave is fine.

I've only used a handful of times, so very well could be my lack of experience with it, but didn't care for the Fatip Lo Storto. Didn't feel all that smooth to me, and after trying a few times I went back to my Game Changer .84. Haven't picked it back up for a few months now.

Top Bottom