What's new

What are the English perfume houses?

Ok I know about Penhaligon, Floris, T&H, and trumpers. But what else is there from the Uk for quality colognes?

If you really want to get technical, Czech & Speake aren't a perfume house. They started off as a designer/purveryor of very high-end bathroom fixtures. (For instance, they make a mahogany toilet set - yes, only a seat, not a whole toilet - that sells for $1200.) They ventured into the world of high-end fragrance and related toiletries mainly as a way to help market their fixtures. They took the fragrance end of it pretty seriously, though, by hiring some of the best noses in the business to create their formulations. C&S still are more about bathroom fixtures than toiletries, but they do deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the rest of the English toiletry houses. I'm only splitting hairs on the issue because I think it's an interesting story.

If you really want to get technical, Czech & Speake aren't a perfume house. They started off as a designer/purveryor of very high-end bathroom fixtures. (For instance, they make a mahogany toilet set - yes, only a seat, not a whole toilet - that sells for $1200.) They ventured into the world of high-end fragrance and related toiletries mainly as a way to help market their fixtures. They took the fragrance end of it pretty seriously, though, by hiring some of the best noses in the business to create their formulations. C&S still are more about bathroom fixtures than toiletries, but they do deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the rest of the English toiletry houses. I'm only splitting hairs on the issue because I think it's an interesting story.

Yes, that's very interesting. Thanks for adding some background on Czech & Speake. Too often, I just think of these companies as entities who supply us with products we like (or don't like), and don't think about "who" they are, what kind of corporate history and culture they have, and perhaps where they are going.

I can't quite figure out Czech & Speake. If you look at their web site, I can't help but wonder how "aromatics" fit into the rest.

Eagerly waiting for the sampler myself. Been three weeks since I ordered so starting to worry that it got lost in the mail:mad3:

When I talked to them a week ago they said they were running really behind sending out the samples. I ordered mine about a month ago and they still have not shipped.

I can't quite figure out Czech & Speake. If you look at their web site, I can't help but wonder how "aromatics" fit into the rest.

They just produce almost everything you will need for a luxury bathroom. Bath soaps, shaving products and also colognes.

Caldey Island. All of their products are made by the monks of Caldey Abbey. Their lavender is great stuff, especially the aftershave! They also have a men's cologne -- I'm not hugely partial to it but scent's a very personal thing. Someone else might love it. :thumbup1:

Castle Forbes

Technically Castle Forbes is Scottish. If by "English" the OP meant the UK in general, then Castle Forbes would definitely qualify as a perfume house worthy of mention.

Edit: Oops, I see that in his first post, he did say UK. I was going by the subject title. Sorry. Oh well, it doesn't hurt to mention CF is Scottish. I know the company is quite proud of that fact.

Last edited:
Top Bottom