What's new

What are the current top tier British soaps?

That’s a pity! Hope WCS stocks them again soon. Superb soaps and the scents are amazing. One of Geofatboy’s videos on how to shave with a DE razor convinced me to give it a go 7 years ago.

I’d not - pardon the pun, but I couldn’t resist - investigated the Magnum scent when browsing the U.K. sites that stock Wickham before but have just read the description and that sounds like one for me for the future. Thanks for tagging me in to your post!

If you can get hold of it I don’t think you could go wrong with Russian Leather. It’s really nice, very true to the scent of original Imperial Leather soap. Geo Trumper’s Spanish Leather is a slightly similar although possibly a bit more spicy? Also nice though.

The other Wickhams I have are Club Cola (I think it smells like Coke with a slice of lemon in it or - but I’m not sure if you have these sweets in the USA - cola cubes) and Parma Violet (and yes, it does smell like the Swizzells Parma Violet sweets).
I also get where some are coming from when they’ve likened Club Cola scent to ginger beer as well.

Wickham Soaps sells direct, but t its a few dollars more an item with the currency conversion (I believe it was almost 19 British pounds for the soap), and of course you have to deal with a longer wait, and possible customs charges. I did find some from a retailer in Canada, and it was just under $15 USD when converted. Still waiting for the USPS to get the package.

I just looked and saw you are in the UK, so you could go to their site and order a sample. But the balm is what I think really gives the scent the longevity. Lucky SOB in this case. Happy Treason Day!!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
One of my all-time favourite creams. I bought my first tub a few weeks after my first tub of TOBS Sandalwood and I’ve never bought another tub of TOBS Sandalwood since. I have multiple tubs of Salter’s though, it’s a much nicer scent in my opinion and they list essential Sandalwood oil on the back of the tub too. Salter’s creams are quite underrated in my opinion. Just a shame they only currently do a soap in a lavender scent.

If you haven’t tried them Salter’s French Vetiver, Wild Rose and Sublime Citrus are other unsung heroes.
:thumbup: I'm a true Vetiver junkie, so of course I have CRS French Vetiver! I also have Wild Rose and Fresh Mint, and of course Indian Sandalwood. I haven't tried Sublime Citrus yet. It will have to wait. I'm in the 2020 shaving Sabbatical...12 o'clock New Years Eve though!

:thumbup: I'm a true Vetiver junkie, so of course I have CRS French Vetiver! I also have Wild Rose and Fresh Mint, and of course Indian Sandalwood. I haven't tried Sublime Citrus yet. It will have to wait. I'm in the 2020 shaving Sabbatical...12 o'clock New Years Eve though!

I can’t recommend Sublime Citrus enough.I’d been threatening to buy a tub for years and only got around to it a few months ago. This second half of the year usually flies by, so not much longer to wait until New Years Eve.
It was good to see someone else giving Cyril a nod of approval!

I love the French Vetiver. I guessed the name must be due to the scent possibly being inspired by either Guerlain or Carven Vetiver? I remember reading a review while the tub was on its way to me about it from someone who found it too “earthy” and that did make me think I should prepare myself to possibly not like it. I guess it’s not to everyone’s taste but I really enjoy the scent.

I too have the Fresh Mint, which more than satisfies my need for a mint cream. I used to be a fan of Original Source’s tea tree and mint shaving gel before I discovered creams and soaps so CRS’s was one of my first purchases. I’ve yet to be tempted by TOBS’ peppermint. I feel the same about the rose scented cream too. Would any of the other British creams stand up to Wild Rose?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Off topic perhaps - but the OP was asking about British soaps, which I've not found to make me socks go up & down. The Brit creams however, are favorites here, though regrettably the best has been discontinued .. Old Winnie's brand, Blenheim Bouquet .. I still have one left.

Cyril Salter's is excellent as well, my favorite is their Sublime Citrus

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Where do you find these scents in soap form?? I only see them as creams. I think this is about top British soaps, not creams. On the internet I find only a 70 g puck of lavender tallow based soap.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I love Salter creams, but I was looking for the top British soaps since they are the category that was adversely affected by reformulations a while back.

There are plenty of excellent British creams.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I love Salter creams, but I was looking for the top British soaps since they are the category that was adversely affected by reformulations a while back.

There are plenty of excellent British creams.

Yes, this is a problem here, often a soap thread gets sidetracked into creams....as we saw here.

In my opinion there are many great English creams, but no good soaps anymore, with maybe exception of Harris and MWF. I used to love Trumper's when they were tallow based (and I still have a half puck of Rose), but the reforms are truly a shadow of their greatness. Same with Pen's and Floris. Still got a few Pen's EF tallow pucks around.
But then, there are so many excellent modern artisans soaps out now.

IMO, one British soapmaker who gets overlooked is Phoenix & Beau. I find that they make wonderful soaps that are very slick and have great scents.
Ive got probably 5 or 6 of their soaps and theyre all great, IMO.
For me, TOBS, Trumper and P&B are all equally great. Im yet to try Dr Harris of MWF but theyre on the list. Theres so many great British soaps out there that its really hard for me to even rank them.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Generally speaking, I stick with The Doctor for soap and the Three T's for cream and have never been disappointed. Rule Britannia! Britannia Rule the Shaves!

Dr. Harris Excellent Products and Soap Sandalwood is my favourite and they make really good Sandalwood Love it..and of course TOBS sandalwood and Geo F Trumper Sandalwood

AlanH

Where do you find these scents in soap form?? I only see them as creams. I think this is about top British soaps, not creams. On the internet I find only a 70 g puck of lavender tallow based soap.
True.

That said, the lavender tallow soap is excellent. It's the same as the current Harris formulation - they reformulated to this a year or two ago - and I think it's the best Harris soap formula since I started this hobby in 2008.

I have heard that T&H is moving in the right direction with their Apsley soap, and the new Floris formulation is reputedly really good. May try them at some point Other than that, the Salter/Harris formulation is all I will use from England soapwise.

Another vote for Phoenix & Beau here, love their stuff. OSP used to be fantastic as well but sadly is currently out of production.

Also have a couple of DR Harris hard soaps and find they're great performers as others have mentioned.

MWF of course goes without saying.

The one that puzzles me slightly is T&H - so many people seem to have trouble with their soaps yet, although the only one I've tried is the Luxury, I find it to be a good solid performer. I assume the others in the range have the same base and formulation (but why no West Indian Limes guys???).

Top Bottom