What's new

What are the best tactics for 3017ing a soap?

How do you 3017 soaps?

• One at a time

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • In a rotation

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Whenever I think of it

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Wait, what, you can use a whole soap up

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
Just thought of something --

1/ If any of them are past the "best by" date, then toss them.
2/ Use the Marie Kondo approach. Hold each soap or cream in your hand. If it sparks joy, it's a keeper. :D
3/ If it doesn't spark joy, PIF it or take it to your local thrift store. Let it bring joy to someone else.
4/ Couple all of that with the wisdom of gigadeath.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I only get about a month out of a tub of soaps such as WK, AE. A few more weeks out of stirling since their tubs are bigger. I use a RR Big Bruce bush 99% of the time and load it like I hate it.

Kinda late to the party, but I pretty much 3017 soaps one at a time, unless I don't. I do soap of the month club SOTMC and might change at the end of a month (but usually don't). The big source of variety is the end of the year. I only use B&M First Snow in the month of November and Stirling Christmas Eve in December. When First Snow runs out, I'll probably just keep 3017ing an extra month. When Christmas Eve finishes, I'll replenish with some kind of holiday soap.

That said, mostly agree with everyone else. Stop buying, one at a time is fastest/most traditional, but do what makes you finish soaps... Or don't, I'm not your keeper.

Hmmmm would it be usable for a soapy massage…. Aka fetish corner..

or those soap slip n slides…

hmmm now at least I will walk around with a 😊

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Take my words with a grain of salt because I have not put a razor to my face in well over a year….

if you are truly trying to 3017 a soap - use that soap exclusively until it is done. That’s the only way IMO.

If you stop buying soap, wouldn't you use up your stock in the same amount of time regardless of the order or frequency of using each soap? The advantage of 'one until done' is that you reduce the number of containers in your stock as you go. Kind of a mark in time or verification of progress.

I'm down to one soap, so these high class problems don't apply to me. :001_rolle

Last edited:
If you stop buying soap, wouldn't you use up your stock in the same amount of time regardless of the order or frequency of using each soap? The advantage of 'one until done' is that you reduce the number of containers in your stock as you go. Kind of a mark in time or verification of progress.

I'm down to one soap, so these high class problems don't apply to me. :001_rolle

I wrote a response that had nothing to do with your post because I apparently have reading comprehension issues today. It was lengthy and trust me, it was glorious. If only it wasn't a response to a post you didn't make.

I do like the more regular gratification of using one soap until done and having it removed from my stock. One thing I can think of that might cause a change to total would be if the daily hydration of the soap/lack of time to dry out, especially hard soaps, makes it easier to overload the brush and use more than you might otherwise use? This might make total time shorten, I would assume you might adjust your technique to make only what you wanted to though.

You might also have varying speeds of use as you dial the soap in. If you are using a soap haphazardly as part of a rotation you might over or under load the soap compared to what you might do if you are super familiar with it. This might make using one soap at a time speed up or slow down the process of using everything up. I do wonder if, overtime, these variations would average out and you wouldn't end up changing anything though. Or if everything is just a drop in the bucket and nothing matters.

Again, this is a significant amount of overthinking things.

You're not 3017ing unless you're using only the one soap.

That's like saying "I'm monogamous with my wife and both of my girlfriends"
Okay, so by the strict definition I guess I don't always finish my soaps one at a time. My personal goal is to 3017 finish at least 3 soaps in a calendar year. That's okay by me if I'm not a member of the 3017 club. As long as I'm able to deplete my stock over time, I'll be okay with my process. I just see it all as different paths to the same destination.

Okay, so by the strict definition I guess I don't always finish my soaps one at a time. My personal goal is to 3017 finish at least 3 soaps in a calendar year. That's okay by me if I'm not a member of the 3017 club. As long as I'm able to deplete my stock over time, I'll be okay with my process. I just see it all as different paths to the same destination.
I'd say that if you're reading this thread you are part of the 3017 club. I'm not much of a soap guy and I think that I've read every post. Pretty earl on, 2014 or so, I read the thread from the beginning and from then on I just kept up.

I'd say that if you're reading this thread you are part of the 3017 club. I'm not much of a soap guy and I think that I've read every post. Pretty earl on, 2014 or so, I read the thread from the beginning and from then on I just kept up.
It's a great thread. I just wish I had found it earlier as it could have saved me a lot of money... or at least given me a clear warning of how quickly acquiring soaps can get out of control. But that's okay. I'm set unless some of them eventually go bad. But that's just wishful thinking on my part :)

Last edited:
Yep, I think 20 is a respectable number. If I can somehow manage to up my game (head shaves, stop treating soap like it's a precious commodity, etc.), I feel I could easily get through 4 soaps per year. That's a 5-year supply and a worthwhile goal for me.

Yep, I think 20 is a respectable number... That's a 5-year supply and a worthwhile goal for me.
Wait. Who am I kidding? I have twelve pucks of Haslinger, twelve sticks of Arko, six tubs of Stirling, four jars of RazoRock (Dead Sea, SMdF, and Unlabeled), several tubes of Proraso, and a whole lot more. I may never get anywhere close to twenty soaps anytime soon. Oh well, it was nice to dream. And I apologize for briefly hijacking the thread.

Last edited:
Part of Barrister and Mann’s genius is that their softheart is easy to use. I started a new tub of Eigengrau in Jan. and by Apr. it had a decent sized bald spot with just a couple of uses a week. Mikes coconut took a year to make a dent. As for MdC it will outlast anyone. Steer clear of the triple milled stuff if you want to see progress. My goal is to run out 2 or 3 tubs this summer - they are all balding. I’m using them almost exclusively. It’s very existential but still an enjoyable aspect of the hobby - there’s a real feeling of accomplishment. After all I know that I cannot possibly wear out a brush.
Anything in the soft heart base is going to get that circle of death in no time at all. I dont think B&M intended for that, but that's the soap and it is glorious, that is, unless you want your money's worth. His modified soft heart is harder and I think all the new release soaps from now on are in that base. Not sure when he plans to officially announce the new base and switch from excelsior to ???.

Top Bottom