What's new

What are the best tactics for 3017ing a soap?

How do you 3017 soaps?

• One at a time

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • In a rotation

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Whenever I think of it

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Wait, what, you can use a whole soap up

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
I’m shocked with all the wasteful suggestions here. 3017 is not about finishing products fast, it’s simply about finishing products

Do you want to finish a soap? use it, one at a time, 3-4 at a time, 100 at a time, whatever. But use it as you normally do, and stop overthinking it.

I find that the first week with the same soap is the most challenging. There’s something in my mind that really wants to rotate the next day. After this initial period, I don’t even think about it anymore.

another tip? Don’t buy new soaps

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
  • I keep one hard soap in the bathroom, and only replace it with something different when it's finished.
  • I keep one cream in the bathroom, and only replace it with something different when it's finished.
  • I also serve up a small portion (enough for about 20-30 shaves) from a tub soap into a small soap dish. When that's finished, I might replace it with another serving from the same tub, or pick another. Or a bought sample.

Those three provide enough variety for me, but I also finish soaps/creams that way too. Or get thoroughly sick of them and get rid.

I have gone through many phases with soap use. At one time I had 40+ soaps and creams. I found it a bit overwhelming. I tried a rotation but that was just discouraging. I also 3017'd a bunch of soaps. Just picked one and used it until it was gone. No special magic. Just use it until its gone. Now I have fewer soaps and I pick one and use it for a week, then switch to another. See Shave of the Week Society in Clubs and Brotherhoods. Best of both worlds - I get some variety and use up my soaps.

Isn't "3017", by definition, using one item until it is gone?

it certainly started out that way. @johnniegold had a pile of soaps and he worked through them one at a time from start to finish. Misery loves company, so he convinced some chumps like me to join him.

I’ve been at it 11 years now, and still do it one at a time. It’s changed over time, and 3017ing to me means having a commitment to finish the stuff you have and doing it in whatever fashion gets you there. We are weirdos, not zealots.

Now, I have only 2 tubs of soap or , just now creams. More and I feel overwhelmed! I have bought several at once, but enjoy what I have and also enjoy wondering what soap to buy next, knowing it won't be too long before I can buy a new tub.

I avoid the problem by keeping only one soap at a time. If I feel tempted to buy a new one, I try it immediately. If I like it better than the old one, the old one will be sold or donated. If I don't like it as much as the old one, the new one gets sold.

For me, it is torture to use something I don't like when I know I have something else that I like.

Part of Barrister and Mann’s genius is that their softheart is easy to use. I started a new tub of Eigengrau in Jan. and by Apr. it had a decent sized bald spot with just a couple of uses a week. Mikes coconut took a year to make a dent. As for MdC it will outlast anyone. Steer clear of the triple milled stuff if you want to see progress. My goal is to run out 2 or 3 tubs this summer - they are all balding. I’m using them almost exclusively. It’s very existential but still an enjoyable aspect of the hobby - there’s a real feeling of accomplishment. After all I know that I cannot possibly wear out a brush.

I finished my first puck just last week. I finally did that by doing like a member here suggested. I don't remember who he was or where he posted it. Basically I put away all but three soaps and just used those three.

Of course, as that soap was on it's way out I purchased a brushless cream and a hard soap and wound up farther behind. I've got soap for a few years. Bouncing around from soap to soap makes it seem like they will never be used up.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The reason I went from one at a time to a 3 soap rotation was that I was trying to 3017 an Arko which I don't like the smell of so I user my oldest soap Wilkinson Sword Blue puck which is a terrible performer so I wanted a something decent to give me a break whilst I did it so I chose TOBS Coconut cream, my oldest cream which I wanted to 3017 too. This worked well until I used all the TOBS so I have now substituted Cella

I've been 3017 soaps for the last three years, one at a time. I've been working on a tin of Klar since the end of 2020. I'm so tired of this one and it just doen't seem to ever wear down. I though SV's soaps lasted a long time. One good thing about sticking to one soap. You get really good at creating the best lather you can from the current soap.

Top Bottom