What's new

What Are The Best Razors For Head Shaving?

I use a Karve CB with a D plate for my head. It’s a touch too aggressive for my face, but just about perfect on my head.

The only downside is it clogs if I go too long between head shaves. I’m talking 6+ days here and by then I have a severe Friar Tuck look, so I try not to go that long.

Reading through this thread makes me want to try a Henson for my head… maybe Santa will bring me one.

Hope I’m not getting off topic or anything but for those who have used both - would you recommend that Santa feel the pain only once at checkout and go for the Ti++ at $321 CDN, or stick with the ALU13++ for $90 CDN?

Before you jump on the Ti train, I do love my ALU13+. Just sayin.

On the other hand, if I’m only going to want the Ti a week after I am overcome with joy using the ALU13++, then Santa may as well pocket the $90 and go for the gold…err…Ti, straight outta the blocks.

I do love that ALU13+. Immensely.

Thanks!

Edit: one thing is this. I have been simultaneously sucked down the coffee vortex at the same time as the shaving vortex. Double spiral. So I need to be somewhat fiscally responsible here.

I was talked into trying a Razorock Eco recently by another head shaver here on this site. I ordered that a week ago and it should be here in the next day or two.

So I tried the Eco today... Not a fan. Too light. Tooo much blade chatter. The shave required several ATG passes. Not like it's going to be the last new razor I try :)

I did a 3 pass head shave tonight with my V2 Henson AL13+. 6 - that’s right - 6 days growth. I was going to use my 6S with plate 5, but the Henson was next in line so I went with it.

My best shave yet (first wet shave was Nov 8).

I don’t think I need a ++ or +++. The + was absolutely outstanding (together with a Stirling Haverford full meal deal pampering).

I use a Karve CB with a D plate for my head. It’s a touch too aggressive for my face, but just about perfect on my head.

The only downside is it clogs if I go too long between head shaves. I’m talking 6+ days here and by then I have a severe Friar Tuck look, so I try not to go that long.

Reading through this thread makes me want to try a Henson for my head… maybe Santa will bring me one.
Sometimes the universe is listening. On Thursday I'm musing about buying a Henson, and on Friday there's an AL13+ listed in the BST. Turns out the seller is local and by Monday it was in my hands. My first head shave with it will be tonight or tomorrow 😊

So I tried the Eco today... Not a fan. Too light. Tooo much blade chatter. The shave required several ATG passes. Not like it's going to be the last new razor I try :)
In fact I just ordered a Fatip Piccolo Special Edition to try. Comes with both the OC and the Gentle base plate, so really 2 new razors for the price of one. Woohoo!

First head shave last night with my new-to-me Henson mild. Overall it was a nice comfortable shave but could have been closer. I did my standard WTG-XTG-XTG 3-pass shave but I ended up with a few spots here and there that were a little stubbly still.

This was only my second shave with a Henson and I'm still getting used to the small angle range where it will shave. When you get the angle right it is very comfortable, more comfortable than my Karve with a D plate that I usually use for my head.

In fact I just ordered a Fatip Piccolo Special Edition to try. Comes with both the OC and the Gentle base plate, so really 2 new razors for the price of one. Woohoo!
The Fatip arrived and I used it this morning for my head shave. It is a Piccolo in black, gold, and black chrome. Same Piccolo razor though. I used the regular head (not the OC) to shave. I have to say, it was a mighty fine one pass ATG shave with minimal touchups. The razor being small made it very easy to maneuver. My only complaint is that the handle is small and not very grippy. I used alum on my fingers and that made it easy to hang on to.

I shave my face and head daily. I use all the razors in my signature. I also have a Leaf and don’t care for it. It works but I really see no advantage to it.

My reasoning for buying all these different razors was to try as many as I can and pick a handful that work best for me. Also to help me figure out what I like and don’t like.

In all my testing I have found a few that work well for me. Those are, in no particular order, Rex Konsul and Ambassador, Tatara Muramasa, Rockwell 6C, Razorock GameChanger .84, and Yates 921. I’m not sure if any or all of those would work for you as well as they work for me, who knows.

Probably just as important is figuring out what blades you like. For me, it’s PermaSharp, Treet and Personna lab blue.

For head shaving, it helps to take your time and use your other hand to guide your shaving hand for areas you can’t see. Also really helps to know the direction of growth of hair to hit it from the right angle.

Good luck. When I travel I take a tube of Cremo and a Mach3, I hate it but I don’t usually have time to enjoy a good real shave while on the road.

The Fatip arrived and I used it this morning for my head shave. It is a Piccolo in black, gold, and black chrome. Same Piccolo razor though. I used the regular head (not the OC) to shave. I have to say, it was a mighty fine one pass ATG shave with minimal touchups. The razor being small made it very easy to maneuver. My only complaint is that the handle is small and not very grippy. I used alum on my fingers and that made it easy to hang on to.
This morning I tried a Razorock Lupo .72 SB on my head. I paired it with a Feather and it was a very efficient 1 pass ATG shave but I sustained a few nicks. I will try an Astra SP with this razor but as of right now, I think that the Fatip Piccolo was a better all around head shave.

The one that you are comfortable with.
I use all of my vintage razors for shaving my head, DE and SE. My favourites are the Gillette Old and New types, along the GEM Clog-Pruf and Damaskeene.
They provide excellent shaves. Try out a razor and see how it works for you. Remember the B&B motto "YMMV"

... I also have a Leaf and don’t care for it. It works but I really see no advantage to it ...
The big advantage of the Leaf is only realized if you shave your head every 3 or 4 days or greater. I shave my head once per week and the Leaf does a great job plowing through most of my hair, but I always have to touch up with my Henson AL13 +.

The Leaf can do a bbs job but it takes too long; its to clunky for detail - around the ears and all the nooks and crannies of my skull. For that first pass after a week of hair growth, nothing beats it.

This morning I tried a Razorock Lupo .72 SB on my head. I paired it with a Feather and it was a very efficient 1 pass ATG shave but I sustained a few nicks. I will try an Astra SP with this razor but as of right now, I think that the Fatip Piccolo was a better all around head shave.
I shaved again this morning with the Piccolo paired with a Feather. Damn fine shave.

I shave my face and head daily. I use all the razors in my signature. I also have a Leaf and don’t care for it. It works but I really see no advantage to it.
I tried the Leaf years ago 3 times on my head. It went into the "bone yard". My wife recently pulled it out and started to use it. She seems happy with it.

Rapira makes two kinds. Lux and Swedish Supersteel. Lord L6 makes something similar. And Vikings Blade makes a Godfather. Gilette makes the Tech. Italian Barber has Tech II. And Vikings Blade has a butterfly Chieftain Jr. which is similar to Italian Barber $20 starter kit.

Rapira for me with CELLA, tallow makes the difference. VB Chieftain Jr. is also mild and capable of some close head shaves.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Top Bottom