What's new

What are the benefits of switching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I want to know what are the benefits of switching from cartridges to DE, besides saving money on blades?
Right now I'm using Gillette Mach 3 Turbo which I really liked at first, but now I slowly becoming less and less satisfied with it. Cartridge prices and shave quality(not very close and irritations). Would shave quality improve with DE? I'm ready to switch but in my mind I was always affraid because DE assosiated with old school shaving=cuts, unsoffistication, older technology, and cartridges always associated with improved new technology and progress. But I see you guys have it other way around. I don't get many cuts or nicks with M3 but still do on occasion. So how big is the probability to get cuts from DE compared to cartridges? What would be safer? Thank You!

After switching over, I highly doubt I'll EVER use a cartridge razor again. There is somewhat of a learning curve, others pick up on it quick and others may take a week or two. However, once technique is learned and you find the right products for you (THIS is where the fun starts!) you'll wonder why you ever bothered with three blades. I honestly can not remember the last time I cut myself with a DE. You might get a weeper if you go over a small bump or something, but generally it takes a momentary lapse of judgement to actually cut one's self. When I used a cartridge, I thought what I had was acne. That was partly true, but most of the crap was ingrown hairs from that damn Mach 3. Plus, I have very stiff beard hair and sensitive skin, three unsharp blades dragging across my face was disaster.

The biggest difference that I've noticed (I've only shaved once with a DE, and I didn't get it very close at all etc.) Is that you really have a customized shave depending on how much effort (and sometimes money) you want to put into it. If you take the time to do more passes you'll risk cutting yourself, but you'll be closer shaven. Also, the biggest advantage to wet shaving is..... No more goopy gillette gel! Or at least that's my take on it. (but I'm still a sooper noob.)

What do you mean no goop? You can still use canned foam or gel with DE can't you? What's wrong with it? I think "no canned foam", shouldn't be a biggest benefit for switching. I noticed a lot of people here just craving this whole "old school" experience just like their daddys used to shave. I for one don't care for all that ritual "lather-brush-mugs-preparation" pish-posh business around it. All I need is quality, convinience and practicality, because I can't afford to waste so much time and money on pumpering myself. Besides shaving is not one of those thing I like to enjoy by prolonging. I want to get it over nice and quick, in and out. That's why I'm curious if switching to DE will provide me with this benefit? I'm trying to save money, but I also want to make sure I'm not gonna loose in shave efficiency, quality/safety.

BTW, is anybody here know a place in southeastern Wisconsin where I can go to buy a DE razor, so I can return it if I don't like it?

I was always affraid because DE assosiated with old school shaving=cuts, unsoffistication, older technology, and cartridges always associated with improved new technology and progress.

Precisely the opposite. Using a DE with a traditional wet lather is much more sophisticated (IMHO) than using a cartridge razor with canned drugstore lather. As Quietville mentioned, it's a more customized experience. It's also infinitely more relaxing, fulfilling to your senses, and yes... if you put in the patience and effort required to learn to do it properly, it will give you closer shaves.
I don't get many cuts or nicks with M3 but still do on occasion. So how big is the probability to get cuts from DE compared to cartridges? What would be safer? Thank You!

Yes, you will get nicks, particularly when you're first starting out.The probability of nicks is higher with a DE because the angle of the blade against your face isn't perfectly fixed. This is the obvious downside of being able to get a closer shave. With experience and confidence, however, you'll eventually not have to worry about nicks and cuts with a DE either.

Hi, I want to know what are the benefits of switching from cartridges to DE, besides saving money on blades?
Right now I'm using Gillette Mach 3 Turbo which I really liked at first, but now I slowly becoming less and less satisfied with it. Cartridge prices and shave quality(not very close and irritations). Would shave quality improve with DE? I'm ready to switch but in my mind I was always affraid because DE assosiated with old school shaving=cuts, unsoffistication, older technology, and cartridges always associated with improved new technology and progress. But I see you guys have it other way around. I don't get many cuts or nicks with M3 but still do on occasion. So how big is the probability to get cuts from DE compared to cartridges? What would be safer? Thank You!

"Mainstream" shaving - canned goop and cartridges - has trained us to view shaving as a mindless chore to be get done quickly.

On the other hand, wet shaving with a DE razor is a mindfull activity - you want to be present and conscious of what you are doing. If you sleep through a shave with a DE (and especially a straight) you will likely get some nicks and irritation.

As far as old school shaving being inferior to 'new school' shaving - that is a decision you'll have to make. I get better shaves and much more enjoyment out of shaving since I switched to shaving with DE, brush and quality soap/creams. But YMMV.

"Mainstream" shaving - canned goop and cartridges - has trained us to view shaving as a mindless chore to be get done quickly.

On the other hand, wet shaving with a DE razor is a mindfull activity - you want to be present and conscious of what you are doing. If you sleep through a shave with a DE (and especially a straight) you will likely get some nicks and irritation.

As far as old school shaving being inferior to 'new school' shaving - that is a decision you'll have to make. I get better shaves and much more enjoyment out of shaving since I switched to shaving with DE, brush and quality soap/creams. But YMMV.

Can't I just simplify it? Like I mentioned earlier I don't crave the "ritual', "pampering" or "experience". I don't have time/money/desire to do that. I just want it fast, cheap and effective. Would I be able to achieve it by simply switching to DE razor and possibly to some good cream(non of that lather-brush-soap-bowl-preparation business though)???

To get a summary answer read the bold parts:

Other than saving money the only benefit I can think of is comfort. Before anyone jumps on me for that one allow me to explain.

You will spend more time shaving, DE wet-shaving is not a "get in, get out" process; it's something you'll have to make time for in your routine. Expect it to take about 10-15 minutes once you start to get the hang of it. The reason you'll have to take extra time is because unlike M3 cartridges pressing harder and/or not paying attention to what you're doing only means blood will be spilled.

Your face will thank you for switching and learning to shave with a DE razor, though; even if you just adapt your routine to include good prep-work you'll notice a difference in quality of shave, but I'd still recommend a DE at some point. Because of how a DE cuts the hairs, raises the skin, works its mojo, etc, you'll end up with less ingrown hairs and razor burn.

Back to my main point about comfort being the only benefit besides cost... your face will feel better and I can almost guarantee that switching to a DE you won't care that it takes a bit longer because it's mentally soothing as well as physically. Most guys will tell you they end up with a sense of pride or accomplishment in shaving with a DE razor; the reasons vary, though. I like it because it requires a certain level of skill and I enjoyed the challenge of acquiring that skill. I also like the peace of mind of not having to spend more than $0.12 per blade, which is a mental/money comfort. :wink:

Anyway, if you buy a DE razor and it doesn't work out for you I can guarantee you'll be able to pawn it off on the boards
. So just go out and try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. :smile:

DE shaving may not be for you if you're concerned about getting it over with as quickly as possible. Normally people take multiple passes with a DE, which prolongs it right there.

Edit: I'm not saying this to be insulting either. If one jumps into something like this expecting and rushing to get BBS in a couple minutes, you're going to be disappointed.

I for one don't care for all that ritual "lather-brush-mugs-preparation" pish-posh business around it. All I need is quality, convinience and practicality, because I can't afford to waste so much time and money on pumpering myself. Besides shaving is not one of those thing I like to enjoy by prolonging. I want to get it over nice and quick, in and out.

Judging from these comments, I'd say DE shaving is probably not for you. This definitely isn't meant as an insult or anything like that, but DE shaving requires time and patience. Keep in mind too that the "lather-brush-mugs-preparation" pish-posh business is probably the first and best thing someone who's dissatisfied with their shaves can do to improve them, even before switching to a DE. (There are several guys here that use a brush and soap with cartridge razors).

What do you mean no goop? You can still use canned foam or gel with DE can't you? What's wrong with it? I think "no canned foam", shouldn't be a biggest benefit for switching. I noticed a lot of people here just craving this whole "old school" experience just like their daddys used to shave. I for one don't care for all that ritual "lather-brush-mugs-preparation" pish-posh business around it. All I need is quality, convinience and practicality, because I can't afford to waste so much time and money on pumpering myself. Besides shaving is not one of those thing I like to enjoy by prolonging. I want to get it over nice and quick, in and out. That's why I'm curious if switching to DE will provide me with this benefit? I'm trying to save money, but I also want to make sure I'm not gonna loose in shave efficiency, quality/safety.

BTW, is anybody here know a place in southeastern Wisconsin where I can go to buy a DE razor, so I can return it if I don't like it?

Boy, did you come to the wrong place! :lol:

Shaving with a DE is not faster, but it can be just a few minutes more than using a cartridge. It depends on how and whether you lather (Cremo cream - I've heard - is an excellent substitute for actual lathering), how many passes, etc..

I will, however, tell you that the quality of shaves - at least for me - improved markedly from my cartridge days. Much less stubble / smoother longer and fewer (if any) ingrowns / razor bumps.

Given the price of blades vs. cartridges, I'd say that with the right cream, a switch could fulfill your criteria of quality, convenience, and practicality (less so on the convenience front than the others).

If you are looking to have a really fast convenient shave, I would recommend staying with cartridge razors. However, for a marginal investment(a few bucks cheaper than an M3 refill) you could have a much better shave. A burma brush and a puck of williams is about $6 at wal mart. You can probably pick up an old gillette at any old antique shop for almost nothing. It will add time to your shave. You simply cannot use the press and plow technique anymore. The real catch is that you will start enjoying your shave.

I'm in SE Wisconsin. If you like, you can borrow my Weishi. It's a really mild shaver that you shouldn't cut yourself up with, unless you really try to. If you don't like it give it back. If you do you can buy one for cheap online or find an old gillette. I recommend reading some articles on multi-pass shaves and good prep. Those are the keys to a really exceptional shave.

I agree with the others. based on what your are saying and your attitudes about shaving in general I think it would be a big mistake to switch your shaving routine. You are just one of those guys the Gillette Company counts on with their technology nonsense and you have been too brainwashed by the hype so just keep using those cartridges.

I am brand new to DE shaving but I, too, will probably never go back to cartridges. First and foremost, my shaves a re MUCH better. My 5 o'clock shadow actually happens at 5 or later. With my Mach 3, it was around noon. Yeah, I still nick myself if I get aggressive try to get a BBS shave, but if I take my time and don't focus on a BBS shave, I don't nick. I also don't get nearly as much irritation with a DE.

I know that DE shaving can be done in a cost saving manner. However, I will never save any money by switching to DE. The aspect of DE that I love the most is the luxury aspect. It is a matter of pampering myself to some degree. I can't see it being seen as unsophisticated, either. Between my $45 razor, $100 brush, relatively expensive soaps and creams, and aftershaves, I will not save any money in this hobby. :blushing: (no matter what I've told my wife)

More than anything, its' all very therapeutic to me. I have a high stress job and often battle insomnia. Now, I take a hot shower and spend 20-30 minutes with my razor and a warm lather before I hit the sack. It unwinds me and clears my mind. I seem to have a lot less trouble falling to sleep now.

Steven

Why not give it a try? You can get an old Gillette for perhaps $20 and another dollar or two for a pack of blades. If you feel it's not for you, you sell the razor to someone else for the same you bought it.

Can you shave with a DE and something canned? Sure. If people can shave with disposables and nothing else, then a DE and canned foam/gel is definitely a possibility. You might (depending on your beard and skin) get reasonable results, but I wouldn't expect some kind of shaving nirvana or the absolute best shaves possible. Is DE shaving dangerous? No, it's called safety razor for a reason and you have to really work at it if you want to do some serious damage, but if you're careless you can cut yourself, and yes a cartridge razor makes it harder to cut yourself than a DE.

Judging from these comments, I'd say DE shaving is probably not for you. This definitely isn't meant as an insult or anything like that, but DE shaving requires time and patience. Keep in mind too that the "lather-brush-mugs-preparation" pish-posh business is probably the first and best thing someone who's dissatisfied with their shaves can do to improve them, even before switching to a DE. (There are several guys here that use a brush and soap with cartridge razors).

Well I do realise DE would be more dangerous than cartridge, thus it takes longer time to master and shave. But can't I just use some good quality shaving cream instead of lather and all? I hate how brush feels on my face and I don't care for shaving overall, not to mention time. I didn't mean this pish-posh comment as an insult, but it's just not for me personally. All i want to get out of switching is savings and quality, and not the "old school experience". Again, no offence to anybody.:smile:

There are a number of brushless creams which are better than canned foam. I think if you do a search for "brushless" on the forums here you ought to be able to find a few.

To name a few: Lucky Tiger, Men-U, Avalon, Aveda. I think KissMyFace is brushless as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom