What's new

What are some unusual but working brush knots?

I wonder if any of you guys have good experience with any shaving brush knot other than the usual ones. (Badger / boar / horse / synthetic.) What could be a good material for a unique brush? Polar bear? Squirrel? Goat? Monkey?

Ha. I do a little commerical fly tying and I’ve been thinking about using some scrap hair to learn how to tie a knot. Polar bear is really stiff. It stays stiff when wet. Goat is limp. Monkey, I have no idea. If I was going to try with what I have on hand, I’d probably try the top part of squirrel tails. I think you’d want to find an animal without a ton of soft underfur (like fox...too much fur). Maybe woodchuck...

Probably dog. But, why bother? Your puppy does not want to be shaved, and for very little money you can buy a boar or synthetic brush that will work better.

Ha. I do a little commerical fly tying ...

I've been in a Tackle shop that sold tons of fly-tying materials. Saw some pieces of exotic bird skins with feathers (can't really call them furs). I'm sure they could whip up a good lather, and be a good "painter", but probably too scritchy for face lathering, have no idea if they would hold up.

Unusual, but obtainable stuff could be deer tails, clydesdale's lower leg hair, moose dewlap, skunk, bison, coyote, fox, etc. If you build it, they will come...I'm going to let the others go first though:biggrin1:

Top Bottom