What's new

What are some things about wet shaving that makes you cringe?

Websites, blogs etc that stress simplicity and applaud frugality "you don't need to be fancy or spend a lot to get a great shave..something, something"
yet all the sponsors and product recommendations are the most "artisanal" or high end and boutique-y stuff imaginable with even mid range products shut out of the conversation.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
.I cringe every time some one gives a list of everything they own when commenting on anything.

+100

Websites, blogs etc that stress simplicity and applaud frugality "you don't need to be fancy or spend a lot to get a great shave..something, something"
yet all the sponsors and product recommendations are the most "artisanal" or high end and boutique-y stuff imaginable with even mid range products shut out of the conversation.

When you play middle man as affiliates do, you want to pitch the high $$$ stuff. Hypocritical for sure.

I cringe when I see a mail call worth a lifetime in a single picture.. I get it but just take it slow, would ya?

I try to take the pictures and post them slowly. :001_cool:

My cringing mostly comes from people trying to sell MicroTouch Ones as Super Speeds at $50 a pop. Seriously.

"YMMV"
What a bloody stupid and useless thing to say, or write.
How a disclaimer thought up by the automotive industry got commandeered by shaving enthusiasts and regurgitated almost without thought, I'll never know, but there's really no reason for its use...ever.
All these guys get their knickers in a twist about something that they just have to chime in on a subject and give their viewpoint, impressions, experiences or critique about something. Then, after stating their manifesto, they completely wimp out and write the rejoinder "YMMV" as if they haven't got the balls to stand behind their own convictions.
What are they afraid of?
Do they think they're going to get sued?
Perhaps they fear some gullible mug will take their syphilitic ramblings as gospel truth and spend his hard-earned money based upon it. And then, God forbid, he doesn't get the exact same results and comes back to the forum like a rabid jackal, hell-bent on revenge for being recklessly led astray by some callous know-it-all who failed to conclude his post with the disclaimer that everything he just said was not to be relied upon for so much as a second!
Now, the truly spineless, will also pepper their pontifications with the equally superfluous "IMO" or "IMHO" (if they are humble), essentially stripping their writings of whatever persuasive value they may have held. Combined with "YMMV," the writer can thus completely insulate himself from any and all argument, criticism or dissension.
Even the most naïve newbie immediately understands that everything contained herein is opinion, or recitations of experiences, impressions, memories, irrational expressions of love or hate, bald-faced advocacy or derision, or just plain poppycock, balderdash, cobblers, rubbish, tripe, drivel, malarkey, codswallop, idiotic blatherings, &etc.
Thus, YMMV is completely superfluous, as is IMO.
But that's just my humble opinion.
YMMV!
There, you can't sue me.

Reading my old forum posts.

proxy.php

"YMMV"
What a bloody stupid and useless thing to say, or write.
How a disclaimer thought up by the automotive industry got commandeered by shaving enthusiasts and regurgitated almost without thought, I'll never know, but there's really no reason for its use...ever.
All these guys get their knickers in a twist about something that they just have to chime in on a subject and give their viewpoint, impressions, experiences or critique about something. Then, after stating their manifesto, they completely wimp out and write the rejoinder "YMMV" as if they haven't got the balls to stand behind their own convictions.
What are they afraid of?
Do they think they're going to get sued?
Perhaps they fear some gullible mug will take their syphilitic ramblings as gospel truth and spend his hard-earned money based upon it. And then, God forbid, he doesn't get the exact same results and comes back to the forum like a rabid jackal, hell-bent on revenge for being recklessly led astray by some callous know-it-all who failed to conclude his post with the disclaimer that everything he just said was not to be relied upon for so much as a second!
Now, the truly spineless, will also pepper their pontifications with the equally superfluous "IMO" or "IMHO" (if they are humble), essentially stripping their writings of whatever persuasive value they may have held. Combined with "YMMV," the writer can thus completely insulate himself from any and all argument, criticism or dissension.
Even the most naïve newbie immediately understands that everything contained herein is opinion, or recitations of experiences, impressions, memories, irrational expressions of love or hate, bald-faced advocacy or derision, or just plain poppycock, balderdash, cobblers, rubbish, tripe, drivel, malarkey, codswallop, idiotic blatherings, &etc.
Thus, YMMV is completely superfluous, as is IMO.
But that's just my humble opinion.
YMMV!
There, you can't sue me.
People who've been in wet shaving space already know the whole YMMV thing but it's different for newcomers. They might think that this one product is the golden gear for shaving but turns out it's not. It's better to provide more information than less IMO but YMMV. :)

Rules and belief systems around never using carts or canned shaving cream. Extreme efforts to follow said rules.

IMO YMMV is one of the more civilized things about this forum and it separates B&B from troll-ridden Internet discussion groups. It is a recognition that there are dozens of variables, even when talking about the same thing, that can impact one’s shaving experience.

Last edited:
- The term "wet shaving". ALL shaving is wet shaving and the term is meaningless when used to distinguish those who are using DE razors, straights and all the related paraphernalia. It would equally describe using safety razors and canned lather.
- The term "snurdle" when referring to a quantity of shave cream. It's worse than fingernails on a chalk board.
- Those who feel the need to regularly share every item used for that days shave followed by the declaration of how great/smooth/comfortable etc. that shave was.
- Those who make a simple thing so complicated and buried in minutiae which is made even worse when they feel the need to track such things on spreadsheets or using dice or whatever. It's only shaving. With a few exceptions, no matter what you use it's not really going to make that much difference.

- People who think that "wet shaving" applies only to "traditional" shaving.
- People who say that canned foam is disgusting.
- People who call it canned "goo".
- The mentality that "natural" ingredients are automatically better/better for you
- The "if I can't pronounce it it's bad" fallacy. The fact that you're scientifically illiterate doesn't mean something is bad. Plus, the "natural" thing you can pronounce is made up of hundreds of chemical molecules you could never pronounce anyways and yet you're ok with them...
-Cartridges/carts are evil. They did a fantastic job on my scrotum prior to my vasectomy.

I could go on but this will already p*ss some of you off enough already.

The term "wet shaving". ALL shaving is wet shaving and the term is meaningless when used to distinguish those who are using DE razors, straights and all the related paraphernalia. It would equally describe using safety razors and canned lather.

But not all shaving is wet. There are forms of dry shaving as well.

But not all shaving is wet. There are forms of dry shaving as well.

Before I even submitted my post I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring that up. Answer - not long. ["ALL shaving (pertinent to this conversation) is wet shaving..."]

Last edited:
- The "if I can't pronounce it it's bad" fallacy. The fact that you're scientifically illiterate doesn't mean something is bad. Plus, the "natural" thing you can pronounce is made up of hundreds of chemical molecules you could never pronounce anyways and yet you're ok with them...
Preach it brother.

I cringe when I think of people shaving in the shower: when my girlfriend dropped her razor in the shower and nicked her......er......aureola!
No razors in the tub!!!!!

Top Bottom