What's new

What are some really Badger like synth brushes?

I Like the Scratchiness and splay of a badger brush. I like the exfoliating properties too. Are there any synthetic brushes that perform like that?

The Muhle silvertip fibre and Simpson trafalgar synthetics are marvellous brushes I actually use them more then my badger brush

Actually didnt find a synth yet that eats soaps like badger brushes nor the feeling on the skin but synthetic are still a marvellous thing. ( Great feeling too but different )

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So many nice synthetic brushes out there.....

My Top Tier Synthetic brushes (commercially available):
Rudy Vey with 25mm STF
Mühle 25mm STF
EJ 25mm STF
Shavemac 26mm Fan
Simpsons Chubby 2
PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid
Omega Evo
RazoRock Big Bruce
Epsilon 26mm STF
Zenith S10
PAA Amber Aerolite 24mm Stygian Synth Hybrid

I've also had great luck with Turn-N-Shave (TNS) Full Moon and Quarter Moon knots and the PAA Roswell Hybrid knot in handles from Turn-N-Shave, Wild West Brush Works, Heritage Collection, Craving Shaving, ShaveForge and others.

My 'Desert Island' synthetic brush is a brush which is not commercially available: my @Graydog Backyard Maple 'Chubby' with TNS 26mm Full Moon knot.
20200629_170316~2.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I think asking 'which synthetics are the most like badger?' is the wrong question. They aren't like badger. They have distinct characteristics, just as badger, boar, or horse hair does. I compare synthetics to other synthetics, badgers to other badgers, etc. There are characteristics I like in synthetics. I like density without stiffness, the ability to splay evenly and not with 90% of the bristle going one way and 10% the other, I like soft tips, and I don't like springiness. These are all characteristics one needs to know about synthetic brushes, but they're questions that really have little relevance to badger brushes. I don't expect a synthetic to act like a badger- I want a synthetic that is better than most other synthetics. I think we've reached a point where synthetics are no longer a substitute for badger or boar- they now can stand and be judged on their own.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I think asking 'which synthetics are the most like badger?' is the wrong question. They aren't like badger. They have distinct characteristics, just as badger, boar, or horse hair does. I compare synthetics to other synthetics, badgers to other badgers, etc. There are characteristics I like in synthetics. I like density without stiffness, the ability to splay evenly and not with 90% of the bristle going one way and 10% the other, I like soft tips, and I don't like springiness. These are all characteristics one needs to know about synthetic brushes, but they're questions that really have little relevance to badger brushes. I don't expect a synthetic to act like a badger- I want a synthetic that is better than most other synthetics. I think we've reached a point where synthetics are no longer a substitute for badger or boar- they now can stand and be judged on their own.
^^^ +1 to this. Spot on, in my opinion. ^^^

I generally have not found synthetics to behave like a badger, except for the Muhle/EJ silvertip fibre XL model.

It really holds water differently to other synthetics. The splay is quite natural and feels like a silvertip badger in that regard.

By far my favorite brush!
Combines the best of silvertip and synthetic.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Most of my brushes are synthetics. The two that stand out because they behave differently are the Simpson Trafalgar and the Semogue Pharos. They have a bit more backbone and don't splay quite as easily as my other synthetics do.

The day will likely come when the synthetic makers actually make true on their claim of their "synthetic badger" being much like natural badger. That day is not upon us yet. That is not to say that synthetics are not without merit, and should be considered on their own merits.

Don't expect exfoliation or scratchiness from synthetic period. They are too soft for that. At least the modern day stuff. You can find the older stuff that can get there, but I wouldn't recommend it. The newer synthetics beat the older ones period. I've got a thing for pretty much every maker, and they just can't hold a candle to badger. Out of all that I've tried the Omega Evo surprises me the most. No exfoliating tips, but it manages to bring a smidge of presence in the tips while being soft like modern synthetics out there. The areas where the Evo shines is it holds water better, but the synthetic still needs work to match any natural hair, yet alone badger. Springiness in the hair is an issue as well, but the Omega Evo does well in this regard and doesn't sling lather about. You'll find plenty of opinions on the matter, but frankly as someone that loves badger, the synthetic isn't replacing my first choice of hair anytime yet.

I got a new brush today and it just might be what you're looking for.

The Superior Shave has brushes called "Mimik Badger". They're German-made, probably with the same fiber as the Mühle described above but at a lower price (unless you want a bigger brush.) It has more exfoliation prickle than any other synth I've used, and the splay is notably natural-feeling for a synth brush. Might be worth a shot. They don't cost much.

Indeed. They are a different ‘animal’ altogether.

+3, indeed ... exactely reflecting my experience as well.
I had a Chubby 2 synth. and a Shavemac fan synth. and both are nothing like a natural badger.
Scrub, splay, water retention, everything is different.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I Like the Scratchiness and splay of a badger brush. I like the exfoliating properties too. Are there any synthetic brushes that perform like that?

No. While I personally have no interest in scratchiness, every synthetic I've tried to date is (delightfully) absent that characteristic.

I purchased an Omega EVO and have been using it for the past 5 days. It holds water better than most synthetics and will splay pretty well with more than gentle encouragement, but not like a badger. While it is neater than most, it still throws a bit of lather (usually on my lathering arm). I'm getting better/slower/gentler with this brush, but lack of technique aside, my badger splays considerably better and rarely throws any lather.

I watched some video reviews to see if I could lesson the flying lather, but all of the shavers in the videos experienced the same problem. Synthetic brushes seem to have a bit of spring to the fibers.

But it will make an excellent travel brush, and a huge improvement over my other synthetics, so I don't regret the purchase. I'm going to hang in there for another week and see if I can get neater.

At the same price point, this brush would come in a distant second to my Semogue SOC 2 band badger. But on its own merits it's a fine synthetic brush.

From your description I don't think you should be looking for a synthetic.

+2! For me, different fibers are distinct species: each has it’s pros and cons! :a21: :a21:

You can try a silvertip synthetic. I have 2 and they seem the most similar to having the good characteristics of badgers over the many others I've tried.

No. While I personally have no interest in scratchiness, every synthetic I've tried to date is (delightfully) absent that characteristic.

I purchased an Omega EVO and have been using it for the past 5 days. It holds water better than most synthetics and will splay pretty well with more than gentle encouragement, but not like a badger. While it is neater than most, it still throws a bit of lather (usually on my lathering arm). I'm getting better/slower/gentler with this brush, but lack of technique aside, my badger splays considerably better and rarely throws any lather.

I watched some video reviews to see if I could lesson the flying lather, but all of the shavers in the videos experienced the same problem. Synthetic brushes seem to have a bit of spring to the fibers.

But it will make an excellent travel brush, and a huge improvement over my other synthetics, so I don't regret the purchase. I'm going to hang in there for another week and see if I can get neater.

At the same price point, this brush would come in a distant second to my Semogue SOC 2 band badger. But on its own merits it's a fine synthetic brush.

From your description I don't think you should be looking for a synthetic.
Makes sense. Thanks

So many nice synthetic brushes out there.....

My Top Tier Synthetic brushes (commercially available):
Rudy Vey with 25mm STF
Mühle 25mm STF
EJ 25mm STF
Shavemac 26mm Fan
Simpsons Chubby 2
PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid
Omega Evo
RazoRock Big Bruce
Epsilon 26mm STF
Zenith S10
PAA Amber Aerolite 24mm Stygian Synth Hybrid

I've also had great luck with Turn-N-Shave (TNS) Full Moon and Quarter Moon knots and the PAA Roswell Hybrid knot in handles from Turn-N-Shave, Wild West Brush Works, Heritage Collection, Craving Shaving, ShaveForge and others.

My 'Desert Island' synthetic brush is a brush which is not commercially available: my @Graydog Backyard Maple 'Chubby' with TNS 26mm Full Moon knot.View attachment 1176390
Couple of questions: Epsilon STF? How does it compare to the Muhle/EJ STF? I've been eyeing it for a while. Similarly, I've been thinking about a Shavemac 26mm fan, and I'm wondering if you could describe it in comparison to the Muhle/EJ, which for me is the pinnacle of synthetics.

Reactions: nav

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Couple of questions: Epsilon STF? How does it compare to the Muhle/EJ STF? I've been eyeing it for a while. Similarly, I've been thinking about a Shavemac 26mm fan, and I'm wondering if you could describe it in comparison to the Muhle/EJ, which for me is the pinnacle of synthetics.

20201102_193803~2.jpg

Left to right:

1. Mühle 19mm Silvertip Fibre (STF)
2. Epsilon Chubby handle, 26mm "Silver Tip Fibre" (also advertised as "STF")
3. Epsilon 26mm "Silver Tip Fibre" (also advertised as "STF")
4. Rudy Vey Emerald Green AS3M, 25mm Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF)
5. EJ Faux Horn, 25mm Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF)
6. Mühle 25mm Silvertip Fibre (STF)
7. Shavemac 26mm Fan

The Epsilon knots are listed as Silver Tip Fibre and both measure slightly over 26mm. Good knots.

The Mühle XL Silvertip Fibre knot measures ~25mm. Top Tier synthetic knot.

The Shavemac Synthetic Fan is a darn good knot, too. On a par with the Mühle, slight edge to the Mühle.

My favorite Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF) equipped brush is the Rudy Vey Emerald Green AS3M (4th from left). Love this brush. 👍

Hope this helps.

View attachment 1177480
Left to right:

1. Mühle 19mm Silvertip Fibre (STF)
2. Epsilon Chubby handle, 26mm "Silver Tip Fibre" (also advertised as "STF")
3. Epsilon 26mm "Silver Tip Fibre" (also advertised as "STF")
4. Rudy Vey Emerald Green AS3M, 25mm Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF)
5. EJ Faux Horn, 25mm Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF)
6. Mühle 25mm Silvertip Fibre (STF)
7. Shavemac 26mm Fan

The Epsilon knots are listed as Silver Tip Fibre and both measure slightly over 26mm. Good knots.

The Mühle XL Silvertip Fibre knot measures ~25mm. Top Tier synthetic knot.

The Shavemac Synthetic Fan is a darn good knot, too. On a par with the Mühle, slight edge to the Mühle.

My favorite Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF) equipped brush is the Rudy Vey Emerald Green AS3M (4th from left). Love this brush. 👍

Hope this helps.
I am definitely fond of the EJ XL STF, and I have a Rudy Vey custom brush with the Muhle 25mm knot, as well. They are the only synthetics I really love at this stage, but the #2 brush above sure looks like the same fibre (oddly, the Epsilon #3 doesn't). Does the #2 brush feel similar to the EJ/Muhle Silvertip Fibre?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am definitely fond of the EJ XL STF, and I have a Rudy Vey custom brush with the Muhle 25mm knot, as well. They are the only synthetics I really love at this stage, but the #2 brush above sure looks like the same fibre (oddly, the Epsilon #3 doesn't). Does the #2 brush feel similar to the EJ/Muhle Silvertip Fibre?

The #2 brush looks and feels more like the Mühle than #3. The #3 is a softer knot. Nice knot, but softer.

The knot in the #2 brush is set a little bit lower than the EJ, Mühle and Rudy Vey so it feels like it has a bit more backbone. It's actually a pretty cool little brush.

Like you, I give the nod to the Rudy Vey and then the EJ. I definitely use the Rudy Vey more than any of the others. :)

Top Bottom