What's new

What are some good creams now that La Toja creams are discontinued?

Sir, the true difference that I notice in all colours is the upgraded performance between the latest Super Formula and the previous version, which was good but not excellent as I rate the Super Formula creams. Scent-wise the Green remains my favourite because it's a unique, classic Ever-Green as Iike to call it. Performance-wise they are all wonderful, but the Blue seems to provide that "little extra" better lather compared to the others. Also, in the Blue the fragrance is a very mild anice that I'm loving every day more.
How do we know if it is the "super" formula or not?

I tried the Proraso super formula. It was not bad. I mean, there are better, like La Toja, but it is pretty good, a definite keeper.

I got a tub of Cella almond today. I will shave in the morning with it. I did do a lather test. Jumping Jehoshaphat! It made a ton of lather.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For me Proraso Green Super Formula is on a par with La Toja Classic performance-wise. Proraso Blue Super Formula is the best of them all.

Regarding Cella I also suggest testing the Extra Extra Bio (tallow-free).

proxy.php

I got the Cella and I am comparing it to the Proraso Super Formula green soap. The Proraso has a nice, clean scent and only enough menthol to make for a cool shave without making one sweat. The scent is nice, but doesn't make me want to keep smelling the puck or brush during the day. The performance with a straight razor was okay, better than Arko, but on my face not quite as good as La Toja stick. With my Gillette Tech DE safety razor and a Nacet blade this stuff is really good. It is super slick and I think it must be formulated for a DE safety razor.

I first took the croap and loaded a brush and built the lather in my hand until it was very thick with tall peaks. Nice. I painted this on the back of my hand and arm. I washed it off and noted it was slightly drying, not severely so, but somewhat. My skin is dry so I am attuned to that. When actually shaving I built the lather on my face and got the same easy results and the lather lasts. It is slick and has good cushion for its price range. It was a little drying but a dab of body lotion took care of that and my face doesn't feel oily.

The Cella red has an interesting amaretto scent to it. It isn't too strong, but enough that it can be lightly smelled during the day. I like the smell of amaretto and so I like the smell of this croap. The scent lasted during the day, lightly reminding me of the shave. When I got it, I lathered in my hand and easily and quickly got mounds of lather with tall peaks. I painted the back of my hand and arm and they were covered with thick creamy lather in no time. I washed it all off and noted a little slight drying like with the Proraso. This is a tallow based croap and I had high expectations. When it came to shaving with the straight razor, it performed a little better than the Proraso, but only a little. I had no irritation and the croap gave good cushion. It was slick, but didn't have the same residual slickness as a top tier soap, but it doesn't cost as much, either. It wasn't bad. It was better than Arko by far. I will shave with the DE razor tomorrow and this croap.

So far, I like both of these better than Arko, which isn't terrible, but I like La Toja better, I think. I like the Cella slightly better with the straight razor. I'll know tomorrow what I think of it with a DE razor. I like the smell of the Cella a lot better, but I know some don't. It is a YMMV sort of thing, as with everything in this hobby.

I tried the Proraso super formula. It was not bad. I mean, there are better, like La Toja, but it is pretty good, a definite keeper.

Did you try the soap tub or the cream? I find that cream > soap for Proraso, by a surprising margin. I have always been a soaper but I am on a cream kick at the moment and would have to say that the Green super formula cream is probably the best all-rounder I have tried in recent shaves...including Lavanda. Easy to dismiss because it's "just Proraso" but it really does perform well.

(I still want to try LEA classic cream and maybe some Eastern European creams if they aren't too expensive on eBay.)

Did you try the soap tub or the cream? I find that cream > soap for Proraso, by a surprising margin. I have always been a soaper but I am on a cream kick at the moment and would have to say that the Green super formula cream is probably the best all-rounder I have tried in recent shaves...including Lavanda. Easy to dismiss because it's "just Proraso" but it really does perform well.

(I still want to try LEA classic cream and maybe some Eastern European creams if they aren't too expensive on eBay.)
I haven't tried the Proraso cream in a tube. I have the croap in a tub/jar. I'll get some and try it. Thanks for the tip.

I didn't like LEA cream. I think I posted this above, or maybe in another thread. Like others, I have found it to be runny and thin. It provided little slickness and cushion. It was worse than Vitos.

Of the cheap soaps and creams, La Toja is king, for me, so far. Ach. Brito (Achilles) Lavanda, Cella, and Proraso are all second.

(I love the smell of this Cella!)

I’ve decided today I could use La Toja discontinued though I’ve stocked up a good bit , Palmolive ( I really enjoy the with menthol version ) and both super formula as well as single blade Proraso and be happy , I don’t even need my soaps these creams all perform for me and I’ll always have some around. I forgot Cella , this is also a must for me!

I tried Cella again today, the croap in the tub. I used my Tech with a Nacet blade. Fantastic shave. I am going to have to try this with my straight, again. There is such a disparity I need to figure out why.

Tomorrow, Arko.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My ship is leaving Spain right now. Unfortunately, La Toja cream has not been found anywhere. The good news is that I got 6x La Toja sticks new version. Price was €2.50 each.

My ship is leaving Spain right now. Unfortunately, La Toja cream has not been found anywhere. The good news is that I got 6x La Toja sticks new version. Price was €2.50 each.
That’s a pity. If you wanted you could still get the cream where I bought mine - theshavebutler.com, in Portugal. The price has gone up from €6 when I bought mine to €8.50 now (€7.50 for sensitive). They do seem to have plenty of stock still - at least I can add 6 tubes to my basket without any apparent issue.

It’s still a much better price than these are selling for on eBay, but of course it may not make sense for you if the original price was part of your calculation in liking the product.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
That’s a pity. If you wanted you could still get the cream where I bought mine - theshavebutler.com, in Portugal. The price has gone up from €6 when I bought mine to €8.50 now (€7.50 for sensitive). They do seem to have plenty of stock still - at least I can add 6 tubes to my basket without any apparent issue.

It’s still a much better price than these are selling for on eBay, but of course it may not make sense for you if the original price was part of your calculation in liking the product.
Yes, a pity. But not too much, honestly. My new "budget plan" is La Toja for a hard soap and the Proraso duo Ever-Green & Blue for soft creams.

That's a good plan. I love the La Toja (I hope I still do when I have to try the sodium chloride version) and like the Proraso Green in a tub. I imagine the Proraso cream in a tube is pretty good. My local brick and mortar is out of the blue or I would have already tried it.

What? How is this possible? I just got turned onto La Toja in a tube - great stuff. Just went through this with Tabac. Like deja vu all over again.

Palmolive in a tube is good.

What? How is this possible? I just got turned onto La Toja in a tube - great stuff. Just went through this with Tabac. Like deja vu all over again.

Palmolive in a tube is good.
They have somebody at Henkel that is brain damaged and making decisions (sounds familiar, somehow). They have reformulated the stick to include sodium chloride and contain less mineral salts, too. I've not tried it so I will reserve judgment as their past reformulations were all good.

My hunt to replace La Toja cream has not been entirely successful. I've found some good creams, but not quite La Toja.

They have somebody at Henkel that is brain damaged and making decisions (sounds familiar, somehow). They have reformulated the stick to include sodium chloride and contain less mineral salts, too. I've not tried it so I will reserve judgment as their past reformulations were all good.

My hunt to replace La Toja cream has not been entirely successful. I've found some good creams, but not quite La Toja.

I hope you, Mr./Ms. brain-damaged person, are reading this.

I accept that fact that the larger shaving market may not share our appreciation for certain shaving products, but this is very disappointing. What separates La Toja from the rest of the mass-produced tube shaving creams is its distinct mineral-salt scent and the fact its rich lather punches above its weight.

And shaving cream in a tube is a great form factor.

Palmolive and Speick in a tube aren't bad.

The Speick stick I didn't like for a straight razor, though it was okay for a DE razor, but not more than that. La Toja stick has me ruined. The Palmolive is on the way thanks to @rbscebu 's generosity. I'll test it once it arrives.

Top Bottom