What's new

What are some good creams now that La Toja creams are discontinued?

Are we talking about the shaving cream or the shaving soap here? The Speick shaving cream has never had tallow in it. It's a unique formula with beeswax and a slightly different take on the Speick scent. I like it quite a bit. It's well worth trying. Just make sure to use only a small amount and use lots of water with it.
I think we were talking of the stick, at least I was. It has no beeswax. You are right. I have never used their cream in a tube. It does have beeswax. Now I need to find a source over on this side of the planet.

With La Toja gone :crying: the sole soft shaving cream remaining in my den will be Proraso Green. The latest Super Formula is just as good IMHO.
Have you tried Vitos green with lanolin? It is tallow based. I've not tried it, but it is price right.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Are we talking about the shaving cream or the shaving soap here? The Speick shaving cream has never had tallow in it. It's a unique formula with beeswax and a slightly different take on the Speick scent. I like it quite a bit. It's well worth trying. Just make sure to use only a small amount and use lots of water with it.

I think we were talking of the stick, at least I was. It has no beeswax. You are right. I have never used their cream in a tube. It does have beeswax. Now I need to find a source over on this side of the planet.
I was talking about the Speick Tallow stick vs the non-tallow.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Good thing we stocked up on those while they were available! The Speick cream is nice, but the tallow soap stick is the best.
Agreed completely. The tallow stick actually went bye bye while I was restraining. I gave it up as a lost cause.

At the tail end of the 2022 GRUYERE, I stumbled upon a vendor with what seemed like a stock of the tallow stick. After emailing them to confirm, I waited on pins and needles for the new year. Pulled the trigger once the year was closed out, and was happy to get my stock of tallow Speick for the next almost decade.

Some good choices in TOBS, Proraso or Kiehls
Yeah, I really like GFT and TOBS creams, but I am trying to save money so don't tempt me! :lol1:

I also like MWF, but it isn't a stick or cream. I want to replace La Toja and that appears to be a lot more difficult than I thought it was going to be.

I've tried Arko, and it is good, but not great. Not at all in the same league as LT. I've tried the new Speick stick formula, but it is about like Arko. So far, I've not found any creams, either.

Proraso Blue, Aloe & Vit E. It's much slicker and comfortable than Proraso Green. One of my favourite creams. And it's unscented, so you can apply any AS after

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
C.O. Bigelow is selling for $10 for a 5.2oz tube. Proraso is also selling for $10 a tube.

Last edited:
@Doc Dan - did you find your replacement?
No, not really. Ach Brito Lavanda has come the closest of anything I can get here. As long as I have MWF I am okay because it is still affordable, and my favorite (not that I don't have artisan soaps). La Toja stick is still being made, I think, but my local brick and mortar says they may not be able to get that any longer, too.

I tried Vi-John mint the other day. It was cheap at only 79¢ per tube. I was surprised that it did better than a lot of much touted creams, but not as good as La Toja at all.

I did, Sir. It's Proraso Blue, a magnificent cream indeed.

Do you not notice a difference between the Blue and the colours, Marco? To me, Proraso Green is still the reigning champion for Proraso, and possibly shaving creams as a whole. It seems to offer the best combo of slickness and protection of their line, not to mention the wonderful menthol and eucalyptus. Blue was for me the least impressive of the bunch - I have been through a couple of tubes of it but I can't convince myself that the performance is nearly as good as Green. If you rate it, I wonder if there was a trick to it that I am missing?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Do you not notice a difference between the Blue and the colours, Marco? To me, Proraso Green is still the reigning champion for Proraso, and possibly shaving creams as a whole. It seems to offer the best combo of slickness and protection of their line, not to mention the wonderful menthol and eucalyptus. Blue was for me the least impressive of the bunch - I have been through a couple of tubes of it but I can't convince myself that the performance is nearly as good as Green. If you rate it, I wonder if there was a trick to it that I am missing?
Sir, the true difference that I notice in all colours is the upgraded performance between the latest Super Formula and the previous version, which was good but not excellent as I rate the Super Formula creams. Scent-wise the Green remains my favourite because it's a unique, classic Ever-Green as Iike to call it. Performance-wise they are all wonderful, but the Blue seems to provide that "little extra" better lather compared to the others. Also, in the Blue the fragrance is a very mild anice that I'm loving every day more.

Top Bottom