What's new

What are some current good (no bleed through) journals/notebooks?

In an effort to come back out of the hole that I've been in for the past several years (physical and mental health issues, but I am finally starting to see the possibility of the light at the end of the tunnel), I'd like to start journaling some. What are some current brands of notebooks and journals that are "solid" and don't bleed through with liquid inks, like fountain pen and rollerball pens?

As an added bonus, what are some of your preferred places to get said notebooks or journals?

I'll cheat a little and mention these Nanami Seven Seas journals with Tomoe River paper. I like them, and have about four unused ones to go through along with others. But you might not care for them because, although they don't have bleed through, there is noticeable show through. It doesn't bother me at all, but some might not like it.

But others that I've used which might suit you are Life Noble and Apica. Only, I'm not totally sure where to recommend that you get the Apica. I normally order from Jet Pens, but when I tried to find links on their site, they are out of stock on those, and don't seem to carry the Life Noble any more. The Amazon link that I actually gave has a reasonable price for the Life Noble; the Goulet price for the Apica is higher that I'm used to paying, but is not too bad. You'll notice that I prefer blank paper, but these also come in lined versions.

And of course, Clairefontaine is also good.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Journals/notebooks I have used that have no (or very little) bleedthrough include Rhodia, Clairfontaine, Apica, and Black n' Red. The latter is a particularly nice budget option and you can get them in any color you like as long as its black with a red spine.

I also enjoy using Peter Pauper Press stationary. Their journals and other stationary are easy to get locally and have fun designs. They okay with fountain pens, but definitely have some shadowing with particularly wet ink and nib combinations.

I would steer clear of Moleskine and Leuchtturm1917. I only mention that because those brands in particular are heavily marketed as premium stationary products. They are nice enough books, but don't do well with fountain pens in my experience.

I do not have any personal experience with Tomoe River paper that is used in many fountain pen-friendly notebooks. But I do know that the online stationary community is all abuzz that Tomoe has reformulated their paper and the new paper is not as good. (as an aside, I think we wetshavers know a thing or two about reformulations of beloved products) Anyway, the change just happened so most of the inventory out there does still have the old paper. Just don't fall in love with it and expect to get more in six months or a year from now. Maybe the new paper is fine and this is all much ado about nothing. Caveat emptor, you know?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For fountain pens, I only buy Rhodia and Clairefontaine. This was my most recent order, earlier in the year. Assorted staplebound, clothbound, and wirebound notebooks from Cultpens

IMG_20201121_122133_edit.jpg

I’ve used Leuchtturm1917 with no issue, and on my second Life Noble, but I use Iron Gall ink. I write small and like the 5mm grids.

I’ve used Leuchtturm1917 with no issue, and on my second Life Noble, but I use Iron Gall ink. I write small and like the 5mm grids.

Ooo, iron gall ink is not messing around! I've actually made many batches of it when I was doing historical reenactment with my wife, who did calligraphy. We actually did presentations about it and the hazards that it poses to historical documents. It actually eats away at the paper or parchment, given enough time, and can destroy pens and nibs if you're not careful. But the color is beautiful, and it's impossible to erase once it's dry.

Tomoe River. Simply the best fountain pen paper ever invented.

Rhodia is ok too and a lot easier to find.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Ooo, iron gall ink is not messing around! I've actually made many batches of it when I was doing historical reenactment with my wife, who did calligraphy. We actually did presentations about it and the hazards that it poses to historical documents. It actually eats away at the paper or parchment, given enough time, and can destroy pens and nibs if you're not careful. But the color is beautiful, and it's impossible to erase once it's dry.
Modern ink makers that I’m familiar with use a low IG formula that is fairly safe, even for steal nibs.

I’ve used four moderns. ESS is the best I’ve found for color and flow. I’ve had no issues with any of them, but Diamine’s Registrar’s left a lot of particulate in the bottle. I’ve had steel nibbled pens continuously inked for years with no issues.

I’ve used four moderns. ESS is the best I’ve found for color and flow. I’ve had no issues with any of them, but Diamine’s Registrar’s left a lot of particulate in the bottle. I’ve had steel nibbled pens continuously inked for years with no issues.

That's academically interesting to me. Any of the so-called "encaustic" (literally- "to burn in")inks (typically made by boiling or simmering some tannic plant material in an iron pot) will generate particulates. I wonder what the acidity of the modern inks is.

Off to Google University! :D

I have used Rhodia Web notebooks and Quo Vadis Habana journals for years. I stray from time to time but always come back. They are good because they use thick Clairefontaine paper that ensures no bleed through even with the wet italic nibs that I'm fond of. If you want to drop a fortune, visit the Goulet Pen Company or Jetpens.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have used Rhodia Web notebooks and Quo Vadis Habana journals for years. I stray from time to time but always come back. They are good because they use thick Clairefontaine paper that ensures no bleed through even with the wet italic nibs that I'm fond of. If you want to drop a fortune, visit the Goulet Pen Company or Jetpens.

I started out journaling using the Quo Vadis Habana ... but back a few years ago they changed paper to a thinner Clairfontaine, and I found an unacceptable level of ghosting and bleed-through with the new paper, and stopped using that one.

I switched to Apica, and am happy with the paper (although I miss the end-pockets and thick covers of the Habana.)

I started out journaling using the Quo Vadis Habana ... but back a few years ago they changed paper to a thinner Clairfontaine, and I found an unacceptable level of ghosting and bleed-through with the new paper, and stopped using that one.

I switched to Apica, and am happy with the paper (although I miss the end-pockets and thick covers of the Habana.)

They went to 85g paper for a little while but they are back to 90 g with their dot paper now.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom