What's new

What are my options for smaller soaps?

My mother recently unearthed my great grandfather's shaving mug and gave it to me after cleaning it up a bit. It's a beautiful glass piece that's just a little over three inches wide. What's interesting is that it has five curved feet (of a sort) in the base that form a circle. I started using it with a 3" wide puck of soap that sits on top of the feet, but I can't help thinking that they're actually designed to hold soap in place rather than elevate it. They seem to be just the right size to hold a puck of vintage Williams or Colgate. All of this brings me to the following question: Are there any modern soaps made in that size? I'd like to grab something high quality and take this thing for a spin the way it was intended!

As you use the soap, it will mold itself to the bottom of the bowl and the feet will grip it tightly to keep it from spinning. There's no need to seek out a special sized puck. If it is too large to fit in the bowl, just trim some off the sides using a cheese grater until it does, then dump the grated slivers back in on top of the puck.

Post some pics, whydoncha?

I think Mama Bears makes all their soaps in a 'mug soap' size, although I don't know the dimensions and if it would work for your particular mug

This sounds about the same size as my Old Spice mug.

A puck of Stirling soap should fit nicely. Pick the scent you like:thumbup1:

CZECH AND SPEAKE, travel size pucks, 25 grams.

GOLD-DACHS, travel size pucks, 60 grams.

If after very high performance and longer lasting. Shave or grate as needed but probably would need little to none.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Haslinger is 60mm or about 2 3/8"

Very high quality, one of my favorites.

Mama Bears, Colonel Conk, Van der Hagen, Williams, just to name a few.

All of those should fit just fine. Don't shun any larger soap you have. You can always take a knife and shave around the sides to fit any myg. Also try Mike's Natural, it is soft enough to form and press into any container.

sounds perfect for any softer soap, Cella, Mike's, Barrister & Mann, RazoRock, all would easily just mold into whatever shape you press it into.

strop

Now half as wise
Doug beat me to it. Haslinger is the same size as the Williams, inexpensive, and very good!

Ha! You guys are a wealth of knowledge (and the jokes aren't too bad, either)! I'll post photos of the mug when I get home tonight, but the way the feet are laid out would make it a beast to get any pressed in soft soap out of there if I ever decided to change it out without completely using it up first. I really considered pressing in the puck of Barrister & Mann Cheshire that's currently in there, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe I have commitment issues...

I have a puck of Edwin Jagger Sandalwood. It seems to be mug size. I'm not sure how good of a soap EJ is. It was an impulse buy I made at a barber shop some time ago and I've yet to try it.

Top Bottom