What's new

What are Ever Ready C40 brush knots set in?

A worn out C40 showed up in a lot of stuff I bought on eBay and yesterday I decided to use it for knot removal practice. Started drilling into the knot and was getting big piles of white powder. By the end of the job I was chipping pieces out that looked like plaster. Was that all dried up shave soap in the glue, or something else? I thought it was odd. Thanks

Sounds like you are past the glue plug and in the white stuff that fills the rest of the handle. I have put a mask on when drilling that stuff out. You might check the restoration forum. When presented with this, I drill out enough to accommodate the new knot and leave the rest.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sounds like you are past the glue plug and in the white stuff that fills the rest of the handle. I have put a mask on when drilling that stuff out. You might check the restoration forum. When presented with this, I drill out enough to accommodate the new knot and leave the rest.
Thank you! That makes much more sense!

I thought that too but this was in the middle of the glue plug. I drilled right down the center of the glue plug and encountered it there. And it's powdery, not like drilled plastic.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have had a few restores and some of the handles were filled with plaster under the knot.

Ahh... Ok. I have done several brushes with the knot set in a hard white, plasterish material. It kind of peaks in the middle, in an inverted cone. I believe I just progressively drilled out the middle, then dremeled or sandpapered the hole to accomodate the knot.

I have had a few restores and some of the handles were filled with plaster under the knot.

Ahh... Ok. I have done several brushes with the knot set in a hard white, plasterish material. It kind of peaks in the middle, in an inverted cone. I believe I just progressively drilled out the middle, then dremeled or sandpapered the hole to accomodate the knot.

Thank you gentlemen. Makes more sense to me now.

Top Bottom