What's new

What annoys you?

When people use the word "of" in place of "have".

For example, "He could of killed me". When a person takes the time to write something, don't they ever stop to think what those words mean? I see this frequently on another forum in my recent job search.

Anyone can make a typo or use a word incorrectly once in a while, but constantly making the same mistakes annoys me.

I find that to be more of a spoken issue rather than in writing. More the words just getting slurred together. I'm probably guilty of this, as a friend of mine loves to tell me that I don't "annunciate".

Since we started with grocery stores, I'll toss in people who get in the Express Check out with 1 or 2 extra items...
Randy

How about when you have the limited number of items (or less) and someone openly peers into your cart, showing you that they are indeed counting your items to catch you cheating! The nerve!!

The ridiculous inability to use apostrophes!! Even in printed publications, the apostrophe is being misused. Especially when an "s" is involved, it becomes an insurmountable mystery. For example, "-es" versus "-'s": You don't keep up with the Jones'; you do keep up with the Joneses.
Just a pet peeve that nobody seems to care about....:death:

The food at my hospital is pretty good. Expensive, but good. You can also get whole milk. Was it your diet while staying there?

==Tom

No, it was six years ago and I was visiting my mother in law, who was, sadly dying. The food choices in the cafeteria were mostly low or reduced fat, margarine instead of butter etc. Well, low or reduced in comparison to my normal food habits.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Since we are now on food pet peeves, how about drive up fast food places?

Were these people born stupid or did they take a class? Why can't they hand me my change correctly? What I am referring to is when they hand you some bills and then immediately try to place the coins on top of the bills. Anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of this knows that the coins want to slide off.

This annoys me so much that I now wait for them to hand the bills in my direction and then I pick them from their hand with just my thumb and fore finger. This really throws them off, because they instinctively want to dump the coins on the bills and now they can't. They give me a weird look as I quickly place the bills in my right hand and put my left hand back out the window to receive the coins.

Since we are now on food pet peeves, how about drive up fast food places?

Were these people born stupid or did they take a class? Why can't they hand me my change correctly? What I am referring to is when they hand you some bills and then immediately try to place the coins on top of the bills. Anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of this knows that the coins want to slide off.

This annoys me so much that I now wait for them to hand the bills in my direction and then I pick them from their hand with just my thumb and fore finger. This really throws them off, because they instinctively want to dump the coins on the bills and now they can't. They give me a weird look as I quickly place the bills in my right hand and put my left hand back out the window to receive the coins.

Reminds me of Lethal Weapon II

They @#$% you at the drive thru.

==Tom

I find that to be more of a spoken issue rather than in writing. More the words just getting slurred together. I'm probably guilty of this, as a friend of mine loves to tell me that I don't "annunciate".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait until you meet my wife! She grew up in the boonies, way out in western Minnesota about 20 miles from the So. Dakota. She doesn't say "and." She says, "annnn." :lol: :lol: It always makes me chuckle and I think it's cute, so...:thumbsup:

I have the same reaction to split infinitives. Correct English ain't important no more, I guess. Clear writing requires clear thinking.

I agree. It also annoys me when people of higher education & intellect (who love to brag about it) kan't spel veery goot.

The ridiculous inability to use apostrophes!! Even in printed publications, the apostrophe is being misused. Especially when an "s" is involved, it becomes an insurmountable mystery. For example, "-es" versus "-'s": You don't keep up with the Jones'; you do keep up with the Joneses.

+1

Tim

Kids, young men really, who can't read a tape measure, use a square, a level, a plumb bob or a transit. They don't know a string line from a chalk line. Half of all new hires don't make it two weeks because of this. I'm more than willing to teach a newbie my trade but I shouldn't have to waste my time and the company's money teaching these kids things they should already know. I'm not their high school shop teacher or their daddy!!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Right about now, I can't think of anything that annoys me more than the NY Mets. :cursing:

Here's another pet peeve of mine. I don't understand it when I pull into a parking spot, especially when it's a literally vacant parking lot, that some idiot has to pull in right beside me. Can't you park so that there is an empty space between us so that we can get in & out of our cars without the possiblity of banging into each other????

I would completely understand if it is at the mall or something & that's the only spot. But if there are 100 empty spots in a row & I park in #50, can't you friggin' park somewhere other than #49 or #51??

I might be one of those idiots!:biggrin: But, only on special occasions. For example, if the parking lot is empty and the driver felt the need to park in two spots. That guarantees I am going to park directly next to that car. Or, if a car is parked right on top of the line that would also guarantee I would be parking next to that car. I used to get lots of notes left on my windshield, and lots of dings and dents. But, my car was a beater back in those days, and them dinging my car actually did more damage to theirs.

People that make a right turn from the left lane... on a highway to get off the exit. Did I mention it was the FDR Drive?

Motorcyclists that come within inches of hitting my car when they insist on driving between lanes.

Motorcycles and cars with bad mufflers.

When cars will not let me merge into their lane when I have my turn signal on.

Drivers that speedup and pass when I want to lane change.

Drivers that tailgate, cut people off and do not use turn signals.

Drivers that blast their radio so the entire neighborhood can hear their crappy music.

I could go on and on.

People who use apostrophes for no apparent reason, and I see this ALL over the place. On billboards, in textbooks, in professional "reports", advertisements, etc.

-Hey, where you are going?

- Oh just to pick up some cigarette's. Then I'm going to Wal-Mart to pick up some vegetable's, grape's, and some razor blade's. Then I'm going to the car lot to look at the new car's, especially the new Chevy truck's.

- *scratches head* Apparently these common items also have some possessions that I never knew about before. I just can't figure out what.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
People that make a right turn from the left lane... on a highway to get off the exit. Did I mention it was the FDR Drive?

Motorcyclists that come within inches of hitting my car when they insist on driving between lanes.

Motorcycles and cars with bad mufflers.

When cars will not let me merge into their lane when I have my turn signal on.

Drivers that speedup and pass when I want to lane change.

Drivers that tailgate, cut people off and do not use turn signals.

Drivers that blast their radio so the entire neighborhood can hear their crappy music.

I could go on and on.

Maybe the reason some of those cars don't use turn signals when lane changing is because of your other gripe about cars speeding up just as you signal your intent to enter "their" lane. Depending on the area I am in I will adapt my driving to the locals. If every time I signal, some jackass closes the opening, I just quit using the turn signal until I am back in friendlier territory. I am aware that just because I signal this does not give me the right to enter the intended lane, but it also should not invite afore mentioned jackass to don his true colors.

guys who wear stubble as a beard. If you can't run a comb through it, it ain't a beard! The lone exception to this would be highly sculpted styles like the foo man choo look or a very short goatee. I'm thinking of men like Michael Moore.

Top Bottom