What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

at yellowstone last week, in lamar region, we got to view one of the larger wolf packs on the move...

proxy.php

Saw a red tailed hawk yesterday. Not really unusual for me but what was different this time was he was hunting moles in my field. Kind of weird seeing him swoop down on a mole hill then wander around on the ground trying to scare the sheep away from his kill.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Seeing a spotted eagle ray while snorkeling in Vieques Puerto Rico was a highlight for this landlocked Denverite.

650EB4B6-095B-4CFD-8219-223B9E2CAB93.jpeg
BF716C82-8D11-4EF0-A4E4-638CC71332A4.png

Speaking of red tailed hawks...

Yesterday I headed S to Immokalee, FL, and the Pepper Ranch Preserve mountain bike trails. As I walked to the guest center at the campground to sign in, I encountered a healthy hawk on the fence post. The second imagine is a screen grab from an iPhone video. The hawk flew down to stomp and grasp with his talons whatever subterranean creature was under the small mound. A mole, perhaps? He flew back up to the fence post as I got closer. He was the first of several hawks I saw.

I was swimming out past my depth in Naples Florida one day when a large dorsal fin broke the surface of the water right next to me. Fully expecting to be greeted by rows of razor sharp teeth, I dove down to face my attacker. No sharks just a pod of dolphins coming to say hello. I can not describe the sense of relief I felt that day.

Although common in New England, I'd never seen a moose in the wild until one ran in front of us in NH. It was a female and looked very much like a cow on stilt legs. Moved very fast.

In the 80s I was driving across PA from west to east. Somewhere outside of Pittsburgh I passed what appeared to be a dead mountain lion on the side of the road. Have been told repeatedly over the years it was a bobcat. If so it was a gigantic bobcat mostly tan in color.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Not "in the wild," but the wild came in when my parents had an ermine running around their cabin today. I was too slow on the draw to get a picture.

Years ago I was surfing the NC coast and found a Kemp's Ridley sea turtle. Federal investigators believe shrimpers killed it in response to new turtle protection practices that were being introduced. I cried on the beach.

I lived in Africa for six years. Was lucky enough to see the Big 5. First in my own car tracking them down over a few safaris. Then on foot on a 5 day walking safari sleeping on the ground without tents like safaris of old. The latter was especially incredible and humbling. And the lions and leopard also saw us. There was some adrenaline involved!!

I've spotted two Wolverines up here in Nevada County, CA near a small town named Downieville. They were the first sightings in many, many years so that was really neat to be the one who saw them.

Top Bottom