What's new

What an unpresumptuous and fantastic little razor...

Had my second shave this morning with my first Tech Fat Handle, 1958 model.

And what a great little shaver this is! - Used a Feather blade with TOBS Peppermint and got a very nice BBS indeed, quite probably one of my best shaves yet.

This modest little 3-piece gem does NOT have:
- The tank-like sturdiness and top quality of the modern AS-D2
- The mechanics and unbeatable industrial coolness of an adjustable
- The aristocratic elegance, look and feel of a barberpole rhodium Aristocrat

BUT it just does everything right! - Without bragging about it it just is a pleasure to use and it shaves really (like, really!) well.

Whay a joy - my praise goes out to the ultimate simplicity of this every day work horse hero of shaving in days gone past.

I would also say that this is the perfect beginner's razor, cheap, traditional and encapsulating all the best traits of DE shaving.
:a50:
IMG_0026.JPG

Last edited:
Another satisfied customer! :a14:

The postwar Tech is one of the best razors ever made, definitely the best Tech. After all, the ASD1 is a clone of the postwar Tech and the ADS2 is a modified ASD1.

If I recall correctly, the ASD2 cap should fit the postwar Tech baseplate.

Edit.

Not to mention, I got 60 smooth BBS face shaves from an Astra SS in the postwar Tech flipping the blade over every other day.

Last edited:
Love the fat handle Tech, with either the pre or post war head. It may be the best handle Gillette ever made.

Peter; Chris Evatt at Razorplate.com made me a convert to a Fat Handle Tech awhile back after finding a rather worn-out Pre-War Gold Tech last October while on vacation in Boone. You are exactly right, in that it excels in every facet of shaving with little to no fanfare- I use mine daily in the early mornings, and am preparing a couple for re-plating by him and will mail them off sometimes this month. Beautiful razor Sir! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Congrats! Even though the fat Tech handle never came with the 1958 head, the combo is a killer.

What you have there is the best 3-piece handle Gillette ever made according to @troy and myself, on the best Tech head. Most people think the pre-War triangle-slot Tech head is better, but those of us who have learned to properly shave with the oval-slot, like @rabidus and myself, know the real truth ;-) It's smooth and efficient.

Enjoy the razor and the shaves!

The Tech IS an awesome razor. I use my 1964 ball end gray colored steel one for most of my shaves.
It is a gentle shaver and I can do many strokes on the same areas of the beard even without adding more lather as the shave progresses. If I can successfully minimize what gear I will keep using, this razor with Astra SS blades and the Proraso soaps will be my lineup. (Afta and Aqua Velva as after shaves, nothing pricey)

This vintage little 3 piece razor is one of Gillettes greatest creations, in my opinion.

BTW, that's a beautiful razor Flintoid49!

Congrats! Even though the fat Tech handle never came with the 1958 head, the combo is a killer.

What you have there is the best 3-piece handle Gillette ever made according to @troy and myself, on the best Tech head. Most people think the pre-War triangle-slot Tech head is better, but those of us who have learned to properly shave with the oval-slot, like @rabidus and myself, know the real truth ;-) It's smooth and efficient.

Enjoy the razor and the shaves!

Gents, thanks for all your positive comments. I actually took a lot of advice from you guys, reading in here, even before I got this. E.g. from you @rabidus on the mildness of the post-war ones - I do really appreciate mild razors. That's why I got this specimen with the oval slots. And I did really want the fat handle also, as I really like the looks of it and I read that the grip was super.

@rudyt: But I did NOT know that this specific razor actually is composed of two different models, i.e. the 58 head with an older (I assume) fat handle. Guess I just got really lucky as I got the best of both worlds :thumbup:

And now I think of all the B&B threads where people were asking about the best newbie razor. My knee-jerk reaction was to propose the AS-D2 but some of you proposed the Tech. Well just goes to show who's right, huh. Again I leave B&B wiser than I was before, thanks to your insights :thumbup1:

Last edited:
The ball end handle is not bad. It's solid, thinner, and heavier than the fat handle. I prefer the fat handle, but will use the ball end if I'm bored or something.

IMAG0100_1.jpg
IMAG0102_1.jpg

Top Bottom