What's new

What am I thinking? Ordered 2 pucks of Musgo Real soap.

Despite the negative feedback on the board I couldn't help myself. Is it really that bad? Maybe my two pucks will somehow have magic lathering properties.

If you have the soap, did you grate it or use as a single puck?

I did not have good success with it. I tried as a puck and then grated it to try that way. If you grate it and don't like it, it becomes unmanageable to use in the shower. Mine scented the kitchen trash can.

I haven't tried it myself, but I recall someone using the word "scam" when they reviewed the puck they bought back when this soap first appeared on the market.

I also recall seeing a YouTube video of GeoFatboy shaving with it. The lather was literally disappearing before he could complete a pass.

Last edited:
I didn't know that MR made a shaving soap. I've only seen it in cream.

But if it is like the cream, and loaded with Lanolin, it is probably a very, very thirsty soap. To get a good lather, start with twice as much water as you think it will need, and keep adding water as you go. It doesn't matter whether you bowl or face lather, just keep adding water.

I've found that MR cream performs best with a sloppy-wet consistency. Don't stop when you get the full, rich meringue-tipped lather like you're used to seeing on Tallow based soaps. Keep on adding water until it almost falls off your face. It doesn't look pretty, but that's what works best with this particular product.

From the FedEx man to mine. I did a few test lathers. It lathers great for me. I took it out of the box, washed my hands and face. Mmmm smells awesome. I wet my DiVinci 230, shook it out a few times, wet the puck in my hand and swirled to a ten count. I palm lather 100% , I whipped for a few seconds then pumped the brush several times to get any excess water incorporated into the mix. Added a trickle of water and whipped. Added another trickle of water and whipped, now the lather was starting to thicken and tighten up and . The very dense, thick and creamy. I smiled. I will shave tonight and report back. I don't anticipate anything less than a great shave

I have hard water and used to subscribe to the minute brush load on a gooey, soaked puck; it worked. I tried the opposite and it works for me every time. For some reason the newer formulations and reformulations work better for me with less product, a bit more water and a little extra brush work. I use a ten count load, maybe fifteen swirls on a damp puck. I tried 5, 10, 15 and 20 count loads, 10 ended up being perfect for me. The only real variable for any of my soaps is the amount of water, amount of soap and lather is about equal.

I will report back after the shave

Mine was very poor. Expensive bar of shower soap. I'll be curious to hear how it works for you. Please comment on whether it disappears rapidly after you make a lather, or not.

I didn't know that MR made a shaving soap. I've only seen it in cream.

But if it is like the cream, and loaded with Lanolin, it is probably a very, very thirsty soap. To get a good lather, start with twice as much water as you think it will need, and keep adding water as you go. It doesn't matter whether you bowl or face lather, just keep adding water.

I've found that MR cream performs best with a sloppy-wet consistency. Don't stop when you get the full, rich meringue-tipped lather like you're used to seeing on Tallow based soaps. Keep on adding water until it almost falls off your face. It doesn't look pretty, but that's what works best with this particular product.

+1

Three shaves so far.....I like this soap and can get a great shave with it. I use a 10 count load and palm lather. The lather takes a little more time and brush work than some others but it produces a rich lather. I think that too much soap is the culprit for poor lather. Try less soap, maybe 5 count load and go from there. I tried 20 and 30 count loads and they took too much time and water to get a nice lather. I think it is very concentrated. Good luck with it.

I will use this exclusively for the next 2 weeks and see how I feel then if it is excellent or just good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom