What's new

What am I missing by not buying value based brushes?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Hello all,

We’ve all seen the “what am I missing by not buying high end brushes” threads. This is the opposite.

My current collection consists of Simpson’s Super, Kent Silvertip, Shavemac Silvertip, Paladin Select, Elite Manchurian, and Thater 2 Band. My go-to Synthetic is a Wolf Whiskers, and I have a Chubby 2 “SiLVERTiP” on the way.

I’ve also bought numerous other high end badgers in the past that have since been sold.

What am I missing out on by not looking into the more value conscious offerings like Semogue Silvertip, Zenith 2 Band, etc...? Are there any brushes, particularly within the realm of badger, that I am underestimating that should be on my radar?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
If you think someone will tell you there are cheap brushes out there better than the top tier you have mentioned, it's not going to happen.
The only thing you are "missing" is some money in your wallet :D

Don’t have to be better, just good enough to still be worth it and hopefully have a place with them. :)

I’m currently on the search for a badger brush myself. I can’t comment on higher-end brushes as I don‘t have any expensives. I’m a boar guy. So, why not check out a Semogue mixed badger/ boar or perhaps a Omega 011842, break that baby in and see for yourself if you’re missing anything? That‘s my unsolicited 2 cents.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’m currently on the search for a badger brush myself. I can’t comment on higher-end brushes as I don‘t have any expensives. I’m a boar guy. So, why not check out a Semogue mixed badger/ boar or perhaps a Omega 011842, break that baby in and see for yourself if you’re missing anything? That‘s my unsolicited 2 cents.

I’ve never tried a badger/boar mix. That’s a good suggestion.

I’ve never tried a badger/boar mix. That’s a good suggestion.

Oh baby are you in for a treat. It’s like a smooth yet exfoliating experience. Best of both worlds potentially? Something to try anyhow.

Also, here is a thread with some discussion about mixed brushes.

Last edited:
There are cheap options that offer a better value for money than high end brushes. If money is not an issue there is no reason to chase the best value for money brush for $20. The high end brushes from craftsmen that really use high quality hair and build custom handles are the top quality level and offer a luxurious experience when using them.
No "good value for money" brush can play in this league.
Other than the sportive aspect of the chase for value, you are not missing anything.
Enjoy your burshes.
:thumbup:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am lucky to own four limited edition numbered Semogue brushes all in finest and these are usually around £150. I consider them to be as good as my Simpson Manchurian brushes as well as other more expensive brushes I have tried. I have downsized my collection and these Semogues and the Simpson Manchurians were the only ones I kept.

20200305_173333.jpg

Don’t have to be better, just good enough to still be worth it and hopefully have a place with them. :)

I've just acquired a Chubby 2 synth which was certainly not cheap by synth standards, but might be considered so when measured against the brushes you have. I don't say it's "better" than my Simpson/Shavemac/Thater/M&F/etc badger brushes, but it is very good and provides a different and pleasant experience. Also well worth trying IMO are the Yaqi brushes, which really do perform very well and I believe also look good.

I am lucky to own four limited edition numbered Semogue brushes all in finest and these are usually around £150. I consider them to be as good as my Simpson Manchurian brushes as well as other more expensive brushes I have tried. I have downsized my collection and these Semogues and the Simpson Manchurians were the only ones I kept.

View attachment 1119659
Those are all beeeyootifull

View attachment 1119659

Congratulations!! That’s one LOVELY LINEUP!! :a29: :a29:

Id say that all youre missing is saving some money on a brush that is probably just as good as any high-end brush. Ive used Semogues and Omegas and they lather just as well as any $100 badger brush Ive used. Sure, theyre not as soft or luxurious feeling but who cares?
IMO, where youre really missing out with value brushes is in synthetics. Theres so many great synthetics out there that are around $20 or less that I really dont know why anyone would buy a $200 or $300 badger brush.
I'll compare 2 brushes that I own: one is an Omega 636 (21mm silvertip badger) that costs $60. Another is the Simpson Trafalgar T2 (24mm synthetic) thats costs $22. I love the Omega but the Simpson outperforms it.

I think some of the Yaqi designs are eye-catching, fun and a bit different. During the 11/11 sale, I got a two-band Mysterious Space for $11.11 with free shipping. It's a solid, dense brush that's got a pleasant amount of scrubbiness. Just an amazing value at that price.

You're missing;
> Super-size-me mega knots
> flow though
> glue bumps
> cash

I could be wrong on the super-size-me thing though.

Last edited:
My initial reaction to what you may be missing are high(est)-end synthetics (e.g. Muhle) (fwiw, I don't own Muhle or Wolf Whiskers, so you may even know more). But that's not really what you're asking. I would humbly suggest that innovation in 'brushes' (knots) happens on the value-end these days.

If you are happy with what you have, there's nothing missing. If you are not happy, then something is. TM Ricky Bobby inc.

Price alone does not determine quality. I am sure there are some value priced brushes out there that are every bit as good as the more expensive offerings. The lone exception may be badger. But with badger it seems "value" is a relative term. You have the Paladins and Simpsons which easily run North of $200 with Silvertip grade knots. Even Pure badger brushes can have a price of around $50 which when compared to boar and sythetic knots is at or above the top end for boar and synthetic. So, when considering the question what are you missing, with badger, I'll say that I was able to buy a really nice hand turned custom handle for around $50 and stick an Envy Shave Luxury Silvertip knot in it for an all in cost of $100 and that is one fantastic brush. Because of that, I cannot even think of spending more for a brush than that. As for boar and synthetics, you can find an excellent quality brush for $20. If you pay more than that, it won't be for a better knot as I believe Omega knots are excellent. You are paying for a nicer handle. Same goes for synthetic. There are so many different quaity synthetic knots out there to choose from. I guess ultimately the answer is you aren't missing anything other than a pile of money in your pocket.

This may be confusing, I would not say you are missing out on anything based on cost. I have tried most of the brushes in your rotation and can say the are excellent. You are missing a HD brush, which may also cost less than the ones you currently have. I would highly recommend a Maggard's SHD knot. The density and soft tips are fantastic. You can of course increase the cost of a complete brush by going with an artisan handle. That's up to you.

I would also highly recommend a boar brush. A Zenith B2 boar brush to be exact. Most folks believe this is the same brush as the Antica Barbieria Colla boar brush which retails for $90. The Zenith runs about $30. Good density with soft tips. I am through and through a badger guy. Like yourself, I have some spendy badger brushes. I only have two boars. A Proraso Pro by Omega and a Zenith B2. The Zenith B2 is the clear winner. There is nothing like lathering up an Italian soft soap with a broken in boar brush.

Are those high end brushes really any better than a manchurian shd or silvertip hmw knot paired with one of their handles from Oumo for example?

I think that you should get a Plisson HMW and EW on your radar. I have many of the same brushes as you and I really rate my #12 Plisson’s. Great brushes. High loft, lower density but plenty of spring in the hairs. They work great and look amazing.

In terms of economical options I have only good things to say about my Semogue 610 boars. I overlooked boar brushes for too long in the beginning. They are cheap but they are wonderful brushes. They pick up soap and wip up lather much faster than the high end badgers. The face feel is different than badger but in no way inferior. It’s soft and I like it a lot.

Top Bottom