What's new

What Am I Doing Wrong?

This morning I decided to have another go with the Merkur Slant Bar. Day number two produced the same unsatisfactory results as day one. This morning I opted for the Harris Almond Cream and I made it with a wetter consistency than I would normally use. The /| was loaded with a Feather blade; and despite it's lack of ferocity on the first day, I set about shaving with a delicate touch. I can still not get a close shave with the /|. I went N-S twice and finished with an ear to nose stroke, the results weren't even remotely comparable to what you would get with a straight. There were no little red dots today, so I figure my technique must have improved slightly but the results were singularly unimpressive. When shaving with the /|, there is a much more definite cutting sensation than with other razors I use but the final result is no better, in fact it is a little inferior. I know that the more experienced here insist that the /| is no different from any other razor, but given it's reputation the results I am getting are incongruous. Any ideas?
Warm regards,
Alex
PS. As a footnote, when I had the /| right on my ear at the beginning of my Ear to Nose stroke, I started shaking uncontrollably (separate health concern, I'm not that scared of the razor) and I didn't even get a cut. Something here doesn't add up.

heh--my results with my shiny new Merkur slant-bar are more bland: it shaves almost exactly like my HD classic! I think it may be just a TINY bit gentler, if anything! (usually my Monday shave is a BBS 3-pass against-the-grain, but if I try that on Tuesday I'll get irritation and weepers until my face can recover, but I was able to get away with a Tuesday 3-pass using the slant-bar).

But I certainly don't see it as very different from the HD classic; worth the $30 to try something new (and if it does let me do multiple 3-pass shaves without a scrubby 1- or 2-pass on off days, I'm happy with that). But so far it's not living up to the hype--positive OR negative. It's just an ol' razor.

Vic

AJS,
If I read your post correctly, you:
  1. purposefully made the lather more watery than normal
  2. shaved N-S twice and ear-to-nose once
Now, I am sure that I must have missed a prior thread/post where you've explained using a more watery lather, but as it stands, I don't savvy.

In regards to the number and directions of passes used, is this how you normally shave?

AJS said:
This morning I decided to have another go with the Merkur Slant Bar. Day number two produced the same unsatisfactory results as day one. This morning I opted for the Harris Almond Cream and I made it with a wetter consistency than I would normally use. The /| was loaded with a Feather blade; and despite it's lack of ferocity on the first day, I set about shaving with a delicate touch. I can still not get a close shave with the /|. I went N-S twice and finished with an ear to nose stroke, the results weren't even remotely comparable to what you would get with a straight. There were no little red dots today, so I figure my technique must have improved slightly but the results were singularly unimpressive. When shaving with the /|, there is a much more definite cutting sensation than with other razors I use but the final result is no better, in fact it is a little inferior. I know that the more experienced here insist that the /| is no different from any other razor, but given it's reputation the results I am getting are incongruous. Any ideas?
Warm regards,
Alex
PS. As a footnote, when I had the /| right on my ear at the beginning of my Ear to Nose stroke, I started shaking uncontrollably (separate health concern, I'm not that scared of the razor) and I didn't even get a cut. Something here doesn't add up.

Alex,

Without question my Slant most definitely gives me a closer shave than my Merkur HD, Classic or 1904. I can personally tell a big difference not only in the immediate quality of the shave, but also in the stubble taking longer to return. I try to use my Slant with Nancy Boy cream as I think it is the most cushioning and protective cream I have and at the same time always gives a nice close shave.

As for the shaking, I have intentional tremor to a degree in my hands. My family jokes around about my shaking and shaving with a DE...they think I must be nuts, but you learn to make things work somehow. Having tremor and using your Slant is kind of like having a Power Slant! :biggrin: In addition, I take a little propranolol to help control the tremor. Nothing like propranolol as a pre-shave! I can't say that I've had a single cut due to the tremor, even with my Slant, but it does make you pay attention. It could possibly someday progress to the point I might have to switch to my Sensor cartridge razor but I am believing that is a long time off.

The Slant is a great razor in my opinion, but it does take some time to develop a proper technique with it. No, mine is not fully developed yet but I am still working on it, even though I don't use the Slant every day. It does make for an interesting tool in my rotation, which is: HD, Classic, 1904, Slant and Sensor. I am primarily a Merkur man but use the Sensor on days when I need a really, really quick shave. I have about 15 various vintage Gilllettes that I have tried and never really liked as well as Merkurs for some reason.

Keep trying the Slant with different creams and soaps, all the while improving your technique and I think you shall someday dial in the magic combo and come back with another thread about how the Slant is da bomb! :wink:

PottyDoctor,
For me, Propanolol has always been the breakfast of champions, sounds like it might make a great pre shave as well. When I went against the grain with the slant I did notice that my face took a lot longer to stubble up again. Unfortunately going against the grain with the slant gave me a good example of why this razor has the reputation it does, far too uncomfortable. However, when I don't go against the grain with it the shave is subpar. Like you say, I am sure it is a matter of technique, but given the cutting sensation I get with this razor, the end results don't sit well with the tactile sensation it provides.
Kyle the three pass I mentioned is how I shave on most days (although if I have time I use Ron's four pass system) With regards to the slant I read somewhere that it required the handle to be held higher than other DE's, that it required a longer stroke and a more liquid lather. I use a longer stroke any way, I tried the higher angle and at first I didn't go with the thinner lather, but after two inferior shaves I thought I would give it a try. I agree with you, it doesn't serve to improve the shave at all. I am sure with consistent use and a lot of experimentation I might crack the slant, but what confused me was given the slant's fierce reputation (and my lack of practical ability) I didn't cut myself up like I expected. Also, like I keep saying, on my face I can really feel the slant cutting, more so than any other razor I have tried, but the results are certainly no better than the regular HD. BTW, my first experiences with the slant can be found in the post entitled unsatisfactory slant bar experience (sorry don't know how to post a link)
Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Warm regards,
Alex

AJS said:
Kyle the three pass I mentioned is how I shave on most days (although if I have time I use Ron's four pass system) With regards to the slant I read somewhere that it required the handle to be held higher than other DE's, that it required a longer stroke and a more liquid lather. I use a longer stroke any way, I tried the higher angle and at first I didn't go with the thinner lather, but after two inferior shaves I thought I would give it a try. I agree with you, it doesn't serve to improve the shave at all. I am sure with consistent use and a lot of experimentation I might crack the slant, but what confused me was given the slant's fierce reputation (and my lack of practical ability) I didn't cut myself up like I expected. Also, like I keep saying, on my face I can really feel the slant cutting, more so than any other razor I have tried, but the results are certainly no better than the regular HD. BTW, my first experiences with the slant can be found in the post entitled unsatisfactory slant bar experience (sorry don't know how to post a link)
Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Warm regards,
Alex
Alex,
After reading back through my original post, I realized that it may have sounded a little rude, so if it was taken as such, I apologize.

As far as lather quality goes, I would recommend that you continue to shoot for a thick and creamy consistency. Additionally, and I know that a lot of gents here already do this, another method that should be used to evaluate your lather is to rub some between forefinger and thumb. If the lather is not slick, don't shave with it yet.

From my experiences with the slant:
  1. You do want to hold the handle as high as possible while still managing to cut hair. This is a good philosophy (at least for me) with every razor and not just the slant.
  2. While longer strokes do seem to help, if you are having trouble maintaining blade angle throughout the stroke, then shorten it. Stroke length is not nearly as critical as blade angle. You might try a shave focusing on great lather and blade angle while using your normal stroke length.
Finally, the place where the slant can be the most lethal is not by creating lacerations but by scraping off your hide. Again, blade angle is key. If you are really feeling the slant cutting your beard, your angle may not be good. It should be slicing through your stubble effortlessly.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

No worries Kyle, it didn't come across as rude to me. Thanks for the advice.
Warm regards,
Alex

Kyle said:
Additionally, and I know that a lot of gents here already do this, another method that should be used to evaluate your lather is to rub some between forefinger and thumb. If the lather is not slick, don't shave with it yet.

This is a great tip that I also do occasionally with a new cream/soap. Better to test it on your fingers than on your face.

I have lost track of how many times I have used the Slant now, but I think this morning was day 5. Following Kyle's advice, I decided to lift the handle until I couldn't feel the cutting sensation I had previously described, the "quality" of the shave didn't suffer because of this, but unfortunately it didn't improve either. Obviously, the lack of scraping is a good thing, but I am struggling to get a good shave with this particular razor. I did my normal three passes this morning, and the curious thing is, the transitional area from my jawline and onto my neck (including under my chin) was surprisingly smooth, not straight razor smooth but not bad. I normally struggle with this area more than any other, once again the infuriating slant throws me another curveball. Alas, todays shave didn't qualify as good because my cheeks are as far from smooth as it is possible to be following three strokes from a Feather blade. What happened? The cheeks remain stubbly, but the more difficult area get's a reasonable shave. This lack of consistency, and the slant's refusal to follow simple logic is bloody annoying.

Alex,
If, in fact, you are only executing a N-S and ear-to-nose pass, then it may be very difficult for you to get a close shave. You might consider adding in a horizontal pass from ear-to-nose and/or a diagonal and upward pass from jaw-to-nose. The infamous "cutting forms" provide a pretty good starting point. Also, you my find Ron's 4-Pass method to be an interesting read.

I find that the diagonal and upward pass from jaw-to-nose is a critical pass for me. Without it, my shaves (slant bar or otherwise) would be mediocre at best.

Thanks for the reply Kyle. This was one thing that always interested me about the Slant. Given that the configuration of the Slant's head is designed to mimic the cutting action of the chevron stroke, are diagonal strokes superfluous when using it? Obviously, from what you are saying this is not the case, but out of interest how does the Slant perform when using chevron/ diagonal strokes?

AJS said:
Thanks for the reply Kyle. This was one thing that always interested me about the Slant. Given that the configuration of the Slant's head is designed to mimic the cutting action of the chevron stroke, are diagonal strokes superfluous when using it? Obviously, from what you are saying this is not the case, but out of interest how does the Slant perform when using chevron/ diagonal strokes?
The thing that makes a chevron stroke special when using a normal (non slant) DE is when you keep the cutting edge parallel to the floor (Fig. 1), you create a Scything action.
full

Otherwise, you are just taking a different path/direction across your face (Fig. 2). The head of the slant bar is designed such that you reap the benefits of a Scything (Fig. 1) pass with the ease of a regular (Fig. 2) stroke.

I hope this all makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Kyle. Whenever I have incorporated chevron/ diagonal strokes into my regime, I always find it much easier to have the head of the razor running diagonally rather than left to right. It's good to know that when I master the slant I will have the benefits of the scything action without having to neglect what is most comfortable for me.

Top Bottom