What's new

What am I doing wrong with a Synbad?

Background - I had a Tuxedo synth. Did not like it and passed it on to my son who uses it all the time. I didn't like it due to the backbone and springiness, but it lathered great. Generally, I've been all badger, all the time for the past two years.

I've been doing some research and diving back into synths as i like the benefits (ordered brushes with a SynBad and a STF knot). I purchased an APShaveCo 22mm Synbad brush since it seemed like it fixed that which I did not like with the Tuxedo knot. I was very pleased when it arrived. But, I've now tried it twice with SV and MdC and it produces less lather with the same amount of loading and it seems difficult to get the soap/water ratio correct. The shaves have been OK, but I'm clearly doing something wrong as those two soaps are famous for easily producing lots of lather. Break-in? User error (well, I'm sure that's the biggest thing)? Advice?

Synthetic brushes don't require break in so it's most likely user error. Try to load heavier with a wetter brush next time. That seems to be the go-to solution for me.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I just used my 22mm APShaveco SynBad today with SV Manna di Sicilia. I bloom the soap like SV suggests. I dip just the tips of my brush in water. I poured the bloom water into my bowl and loaded the brush for 10 seconds. I face lather, so I work the lather on my face for about 2 minutes. Even if it appears there is not enough soap at first keep going. It will build. I then dip the brush tips in the bloom water working that in. I repeat this process until my bloom water is used up. My brush exploded with lather. It was more than enough for my subsequent passes. SV is a thirsty soap, and the more I hydrate it the more lather it seems to make.
025_50.jpg

Last edited:
I just used my 22mm APShaveco SynBad today with SV Manna di Sicilia. I bloom the soap like SV suggests. I dip just the tips of my brush in water. I poured the bloom water into my bowl and loaded the brush for 10 seconds. I face lather, so I work the lather on my face for about 2 minutes. Even if it appears there is not enough soap at first keep going. It will build. I then dip the brush tips in the bloom water working that in. I repeat this process until my bloom water is used up. My brush exploded with lather. It was more than enough for my subsequent passes. SV is a thirsty soap, and the more I hydrate it the more lather it seems to make.

I shall try this approach....but, with Stella....and no Proraso AS as cold, dry winter weather is upon us and my facial skin in none too happy.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1032507

I also have the AP Shave Co. SynBad, 24mm.

Makes great lather with SV Dolomiti. :)

I find that with the SynBad (and synthetics in general), starting with a wetter brush and splaying while loading helps to get the lather going without being overly dry at the start.

View attachment 1032507
That is the same experience I had with my SV soap. It seems like the lather is well-hydrated but when I add more water, it keeps on building. My tip with SV soap is to keep hydrating it or else, it'll stay dry and give a sub-optimal result.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I shall try this approach....but, with Stella....and no Proraso AS as cold, dry winter weather is upon us and my facial skin in none too happy.
Awesome, Stella Alpina is my favorite of the SV scents. How I load it will work equally well with it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I find that with the SynBad (and synthetics in general), starting with a wetter brush and splaying while loading helps to get the lather going without being overly dry at the start.
I hear what you are saying. I do it the way I do to keep down the synth mess. It still gets messy lol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
That is the same experience I had with my SV soap. It seems like the lather is well-hydrated but when I add more water, it keeps on building. My tip with SV soap is to keep hydrating it or else, it'll stay dry and give a sub-optimal result.
Absolutely!

Synthetic bristles don't hold water like natural hair bristles do, so you have to keep dipping in or adding water to generate a commensurate lather with the badger brushes.

I echo what others are generally saying. No matter the soap or cream, I just dip the tips in water and start with a fairly dry brush. If I don't feel the brush is loading enough, I just dip the tips in water again and keep loading. When lathering, I just add water along the way in a similar fashion until the lather become slick and fluffy. My experience is that if you wet the brush too much, when you splay the brush, it lets the water loose and you get way too much water in your lather.

Synths are definitely different than natural hair brushes, so you do need a slightly different technique for them.

Interesting thread! This is especially for a guy who prefers natural hair brushes.

From my (limited) standpoint, any new brush/razor requires a ’dial in’ period when I need to stick with one set up until I figure out precisely how to get the best results. Keep at it and your results will improve!

@Noodles have you read through the synthetic brush pass-around thread? You might find some insightful information there. We added a Synbad late in the Spring of ‘18 and it saw thorough action from a variety of users. I seem to recall it created a crazy amount of lather.

I need to stick with one set up until I figure out precisely how to get the best results. Keep at it and your results will improve!
As easy as synthetics can be to load and create a lather, this is reliable advice. My Synbad responds differently to different soaps. Always a wonderful lather, but, different timing in loading/lathering/water-needed(thirstiness) per brand of soap.

@Noodles have you read through the synthetic brush pass-around thread? You might find some insightful information there. We added a Synbad late in the Spring of ‘18 and it saw thorough action from a variety of users. I seem to recall it created a crazy amount of lather.

A bit, yes. I should do some more reading. I have also purchased a Jagger STF which is also in the pass-around.

The Synbad was late to the box, but it had the benefit of being used after going through so many other synthetic brushes. I felt like I had a good handle on using synthetic brushes and was able to dial it in pretty quickly. Give it time.

Top Bottom