What's new

What am I doing wrong? - DE Blades

After going thru various posts here, I realize I must be doing something wrong with my shaving technique. I am not that new to DE shaving but I can't seem to get more than 3 decent shaves out of a blade. Some members here mention 5 and up to 7 shaves.
I don't use oils or pre-shaves at all since I get close shaves without them. Also I am in the habit of shaving every other day to every 2 days - depending on my appearance for that day's activity.

The number of shaves you get out of a blade is entirely down to your beard, and the brand of blade you use. Which brand do you use?

I hae a pretty tough beard and tend to get 3-4 shaves out of a Wilkinson and Tesco blades, I've just acquired a pack of feathers which, according to the guys here, keeps an edge longer than any other blade on the market. In direct contrast, I used a SuperMax blade and didn't get one full shave out of the blade before it was unusable.

There seems to be some lack of clarity on this, given modern steels and coatings, but blade life really isn't measured, I think, strictly in terms of number of shaves. Most poeple talk just about that, but also shave every day. From what i've heard, and generally understand about metals, a significant part of the loss of blade condition is from corrosion that starts when you first get the blade wet (and possibly also scrape off some of the coating on the edge with your beard).

In other words, it makes sense that your blade would last less shaves if you use it less often, because the time factor is still there. Perhaps the resting in a non-oxidizing medium (Geez, I should like a method shaver - oil or alcohol) would extend life for you. Really though, from a personal economic standpoint, blades don't cost enough to be worth it, so I'd only do that if you have a really strong aversion to waste....

Jonnybc said:
The number of shaves you get out of a blade is entirely down to your beard, and the brand of blade you use. Which brand do you use?

I hae a pretty tough beard and tend to get 3-4 shaves out of a Wilkinson and Tesco blades, I've just acquired a pack of feathers which, according to the guys here, keeps an edge longer than any other blade on the market. In direct contrast, I used a SuperMax blade and didn't get one full shave out of the blade before it was unusable.

My beard is on the heavy side...though now doesn't seem like it since half of it is grey and the stubble doesn't stand out as much as it did before.
On the Wilkinsons, I get 2 good shaves. Schick 3. Gillette 3. Today I ordered Derbys and Feathers. Have not used these before.

moses said:
There seems to be some lack of clarity on this, given modern steels and coatings, but blade life really isn't measured, I think, strictly in terms of number of shaves. Most poeple talk just about that, but also shave every day. From what i've heard, and generally understand about metals, a significant part of the loss of blade condition is from corrosion that starts when you first get the blade wet (and possibly also scrape off some of the coating on the edge with your beard).

In other words, it makes sense that your blade would last less shaves if you use it less often, because the time factor is still there. Perhaps the resting in a non-oxidizing medium (Geez, I should like a method shaver - oil or alcohol) would extend life for you. Really though, from a personal economic standpoint, blades don't cost enough to be worth it, so I'd only do that if you have a really strong aversion to waste....

I usually remove the blade and let it dry out after a shave. I may try some oil pre-shave and see. Even with the cost factor, I would like get another 2 shaves from it. Hey, even if they were cheaper and someone invented (though unlikely) a blade that would last for years, wouldn't we all go for that one?

GeeQue,
As John stated before, your type of beard will dictate how many shaves you get from each brand of blade. For me personally, I can get 5 shaves (2 passes) before the blade had to be thrown out. When I used to do 3 passes, I only got 3 shaves per blade. Shaving with a dull blade for the sake of saving a few dollars in the long run is just not worth it for me.

I only ever got 3 shaves from the feather DE's, but I almost always got 4 from everything else (3 passes+T&C per shave). However, I did have to increase the setting on the fatboy for day 4.

mparker762 said:
I only ever got 3 shaves from the feather DE's, but I almost always got 4 from everything else (3 passes+T&C per shave). However, I did have to increase the setting on the fatboy for day 4.

I guess I'm not the only one then. Didn't think about fiddlin' with the adjustment number either. I'll try that also.
Sometimes I get real finicky about my shaves and after 3rd pass, I am still feeling here and there and applying more lather and hitting the area again until the d*** thing feels like porcelain.

Thank you for this thread! reminded me to swab my current blade with alcohol..

I do this as suggested in an eBay guide on taking care of blades...I swab my blade edges carefully with a q-tip and 91% isopropyl alcohol to retain a keen edge...I still dispose of them at around the 3 day mark (I can't keep one blade in there too long, I am just starting and itching to experiment!).

Other things to remember - I usually flip my blade over and use the underside as the top, alternating each day...uses the blade in a more balanced way and definitely keeps it sharper all around.

Top Bottom