What's new

What accounts for the difference in straight vs DE shaves.

It seems like when I watch barbershop shaving videos, a lot of barbers are using straights and they seem to get much better results even with 1 passes, or 1 passes with touchups.

Why is there so much difference between DE safety razor and straights/shavettes?

For straights/shavettes, do they primarily do ATG shaves or pretty the same as Safety razor? (WTG, XTG, then ATG as needed)

Just got a little curious as I see people jump from DE to straight/shavettes once they are at certain levels.

You have more control with a straight compared to a DE. They still generally require the same number of passes. You can get closer with a straight than a DE. The DE will give You a more consistent shave with less effort.

I think much of the difference has to do with the experience if the barber. Do something all day for years and you're bound to get good at it.

I think much of the difference has to do with the experience if the barber. Do something all day for years and you're bound to get good at it.

+1 for that. Its all about experience. Give barber a safety razor and in couple of months he will be delivering the same results as he did with the straight.

Top Bottom