What's new

What about using a shave stick over preshave oil?

On a lark, I just picked up a shaving stick to give it a try. The only one the local shave store had was Derby, so it is what it is. But here's a question if anyone has any thoughts.

I always put on a layer of preshave oil, then whip up lather in a scuttle and apply over the top of the preshave oil. I want to do the same with the shave stick. Do they work ok over the top of preshave oil?

Yes, it will work a little better if you have longer stubble for the soap to catch on. Also, you can soak the end of the shaving stick to soften it so you can apply more soap.

BTW, I've had good success with using a glycerin soap as a preshave instead of oil. Apply with a small wet brush and let sit for a minute or so. Rinse part of it off and then lather up as usual with your shaving stick.

You should let the pre-shave oil absorb into the skin before you start lathering. Pre-shave oil is a skin conditioner, not a lube.

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up changing it up a bit this morning. The scuttle I typically use has a lot of ridges in the bottom and sides. So I soaked the end of the stick to get it softened, then I rubbed it hard against those ridges to leave some soap in the bottom of the scuttle. I then built the lather in the scuttle. I was able to whip up enough lather for my three-pass shave.

The Derby itself was mediocre. The smell is pure Ivory Soap, which is ok depending on your preference. The slickness was not as good as the TOBS or T&H creams I usually use, but I didn't experience any irritation. Overall, and interesting experiment that only cost me $1.50.

If you need gimmicks like shave oil and pre-shave treatments, maybe you need a better soap. Stirling Soaps, as well as the Cremogena Blend are exceedingly slick, and don't need any help to yield an exceptional shave. My ToBS St. James comes in a close 3rd Place & gives a reliably superior shave.

If you prefer a stick, LEA is outstanding & Palmolive does well. I usually face lather, but you can simply rub the stick on a damp brush & bowl lather it, too.

Speaking of shaving sticks, there are many good ones you can try in additon to those mentioned so far. Speick, La Toja and Wilkinson Sword sticks are ones I have been using recently. Valobra is outstanding but expensive and a bit hard to find these days.

You can also covert most any shaving soap to stick form which is great for travel. I have a few small containers to hold sticks and I made some from soaps like Haslinger and MWF. These work very well.

Don't give up on shaving sticks if you didn't like Derby.

If you need gimmicks like shave oil and pre-shave treatments, maybe you need a better soap. Stirling Soaps, as well as the Cremogena Blend are exceedingly slick, and don't need any help to yield an exceptional shave. My ToBS St. James comes in a close 3rd Place & gives a reliably superior shave.

If you prefer a stick, LEA is outstanding & Palmolive does well. I usually face lather, but you can simply rub the stick on a damp brush & bowl lather it, too.

Since when is a skin conditioning routine like pre-shave oil a "gimmick"?

Pre-shave oil or conditioner is one of the most controversial topics for traditional shaving.

Pre-shave oil is one of those things that is an individual thing. As you may find out some on B&B think it is a waste of time and others think it helped them get a better shave. Some say it clogs their razor and ruins brushes and some say it does no such thing. Pre-shave oil is one of those things that brings out a lot of controversy.

Pre-shave oil or conditioner is one of the most controversial topics for traditional shaving.

Pre-shave oil is one of those things that is an individual thing. As you may find out some on B&B think it is a waste of time and others think it helped them get a better shave. Some say it clogs their razor and ruins brushes and some say it does no such thing. Pre-shave oil is one of those things that brings out a lot of controversy.

Ah, ok. I think the average shaver that uses the latest 12-blade cartridge razor with the can full of goo would think everything we do is "a gimmick". Vintage razors, 10 containers of shave soap/shave cream, six different aftershave, etc. That would make some folks heads explode. :c9:

I think pre shave oils are an easy way for vendors to make some easy money. Totally unnecessary. If you absolutely must just buy some oil from the supermarket and add your own scent.

The glycerin pre-shave step makes more sense to me than the oil pre-shave, honestly. The idea is to soften the cuticle of the whiskers and clean the face. An oil doesn't soften the whisker, it softens the skin. Plus, soap is going to take the oil away, so it seems like the wrong time to be applying oil. If the goal is to moisturize the skin, that is better done after shaving.

A bar of glycerin soap is like $2 at Whole Foods or other local market.

I think pre shave oils are an easy way for vendors to make some easy money. Totally unnecessary. If you absolutely must just buy some oil from the supermarket and add your own scent.

I make my own from recipe I got from a fellow board member. It works really well, and it's simple:
* - 50% Grapeseed oil
* - 25% Jojoba oil
* - 25% Almond oil
* - add either lavender oil or lemon oil for scent (I keep two bottles going at once)

I make my own from recipe I got from a fellow board member. It works really well, and it's simple:
* - 50% Grapeseed oil
* - 25% Jojoba oil
* - 25% Almond oil
* - add either lavender oil or lemon oil for scent (I keep two bottles going at once)
Sounds good. Lavender is my fave oil for home made concoctions. I love the scent and it's super cheap, at least compared to Rose, sandalwood etc.

It will work just fine, as long as you don't overdo the oil. On the odd occasion that I use a preshave oil I find that just two drops are enough. It is there to soften the skin and not to provide glide for the razor.

I'm going to have to order some Palmolive from the UK one of these days... that stuff was great when I used it a few years ago. It left my skin feeling softer than typical cheap shave soaps.

Derby and Arko are just acceptable products that are priced according to their performance.

The glycerin pre-shave step makes more sense to me than the oil pre-shave, honestly. The idea is to soften the cuticle of the whiskers and clean the face. An oil doesn't soften the whisker, it softens the skin. Plus, soap is going to take the oil away, so it seems like the wrong time to be applying oil. If the goal is to moisturize the skin, that is better done after shaving.

A bar of glycerin soap is like $2 at Whole Foods or other local market.

This morning I did a cold water shave with a preshave wash of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap and a can of Barbasol Pacific Rush and the razor glide and residual slickness was very good, well above using the Barbasol on its own. So I think a glycerin soap could be a decent preshave on its own.

I like to use a pre shave oil mostly in the winter. Mine is very simple: Castor Oil and Glycerin. The best part is I can get both for free at work.

I wash my head and face in the shower, rinse and add the pre shave. I then finish my shower and then shave. My shaves are wonderful with no nick, cuts or irritation and my skin is very soft and smooth after I'm finished. I just finish with some witch hazel and some AS or EDT/EDC and I'm good to go.

Through the industry I work in and personal experience, I can attest to the benefits of using a pre shave oil or even using a glycerin soap as a pre shave and the benefits of both are why I use a blend.

Top Bottom