What's new

What About This Stock Market...

Gas prices at a all time high...interests on the rise...the CPI...alot of things to talk about...colleges are saying that this is best year for grads to be hired...

can anyone make since of that one !!!!

mark the shoeshine boy

The stock market and what is currently happening do not co-relate. Supposdedly the market is predicting what would happen in the future. But as a person who has actively traded stocks for years, I can see the amount of manipulaiton by the big boys and the computertized trading by the quants, has increased. :thumbdown

My buddy invested in BP when their stocks plummeted....he doubled his money in two months......speechless.

While good financially, I would never invest in BP. Oil is stock will probably go down in the next decade when other viable fuel sources our found.

My buddy invested in BP when their stocks plummeted....he doubled his money in two months......speechless.

While good financially, I would never invest in BP. Oil is stock will probably go down in the next decade when other viable fuel sources our found.

Actually, the opposite is likely to happen. As the world begins to recover the global recession, manufacturing and producitivity will increase, driving up oil prices.

More importantly, as undeveloped countries in Africa, Asia and South America begin to build infrastructure to transition from pure commodity suppliers to manufacturing and servicing economies, they will need fuel. They will choose oil instead of alternative fuels because the technologies that will allow for efficient distribution and utilization of these fuels already exist. Alternative energies are still in many ways in their infancy and efficient large scale distribution matrixes haven't quite been figured out. So, these economies will continue to use oil, coal and natural gas as their main energy sources for many years.

Now would be the a great time to get into oil. Invest with the large megacompanies, enjoy the dividends they pay, and forget about it.

Jeff in Boston

Actually, the opposite is likely to happen. As the world begins to recover the global recession, manufacturing and producitivity will increase, driving up oil prices.

More importantly, as undeveloped countries in Africa, Asia and South America begin to build infrastructure to transition from pure commodity suppliers to manufacturing and servicing economies, they will need fuel. They will choose oil instead of alternative fuels because the technologies that will allow for efficient distribution and utilization of these fuels already exist. Alternative energies are still in many ways in their infancy and efficient large scale distribution matrixes haven't quite been figured out. So, these economies will continue to use oil, coal and natural gas as their main energy sources for many years.

Now would be the a great time to get into oil. Invest with the large megacompanies, enjoy the dividends they pay, and forget about it.

Jeff in Boston

Yes, however you would have to invest in a company that does business outside the US, or make an investment into a foreign company. I was talking more about US stocks. I do side with you on this one though.

Yes, however you would have to invest in a company that does business outside the US, or make an investment into a foreign company. I was talking more about US stocks. I do side with you on this one though.

Oh. Well, if your criteria is only U.S.-based oil companies that only do business in the U.S. then I agree with your original assertion. Oil is a multi-national business. No purely domestic oil producer and distributor is worth any kind of investment at all. They'll all be pummelled by the multinationals.

Jeff in Boston

The S&P 500 Index is below where it was in 2000 I believe.

The availability of credit is down, and it will probably stay down. Don't forget, this includes credit cards.

American wages are stagnant and have been stagnant.

Let's hope some of this "free trade" bears fruit and we can sell our products and services overseas because we will certainly need to do that.

One thing to keep in mind, Bernanke is flooding the system with money and this money probably will find the stock market. The problem is that the money will raise the price of everything else as well. So if stocks go up, you are getting a nominal rise, not a real increase. You'll stay even that's about it.

To me, it's all about unemployment. If this # doesn't come down to ~5% from its current ~10% or so, all predictions remain as just that: predictions. This unemployment will put people in the confidence seat and spending again. Right now, corporations are squeezing productivity out of less workers and everyone is overworked and underpaid.

Also, IMO, the unemployment will also affect the housing market which is slanted to have a bad year again. No job, no buying...no market movement (at least in real terms).

Top Bottom