What's new

What about this razor?

I just acquired an unusual razor. It just says "Mond" on the underside of the baseplate, and on the case. It does not say Rotbart or Extra anywhere, no markings or engraving on the shaft of the handle. Instead, it looks like a ringer for the Gillette 1917 Old Type 460-B shown on Mr.-Razor, except for the fact that the word Gillette is nowhere to be found. The threaded shaft of the cap is loose and wobbly, and it's also wobbly where the baseplate attaches to the handle. When it's assembled, it's a nice snug , solid fit. It doesn't look quite like anything I can find on the web. Can anyone here comment?
CAM00219.jpg
CAM00218.jpg
CAM00217.jpg
CAM00212.jpg

Well, when I asked to look at it in the store, I thought it was a Gillette single ring. And I've seen Ebay auctions for Rotbard Mond. So there was no question of it being an old clone. I thought maybe Mond was one of the older incarnations of Rotbard Mond, kind of like the permutations that Personna has gone through.

Given the vast experience and depth of knowledge this group has shown, I was thinking someone here might have run across this one or similar in the past.

Shaves nice.

Can you clarify the letters? Backwards R, normal R, forming an H in the middle?

They're both Bs, not Rs. Sorry about that first photo, I was concentrating on the razor parts and the case didn't come out so well.

CAM00227.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I just acquired an unusual razor. It just says "Mond" on the underside of the baseplate, and on the case. It does not say Rotbart or Extra anywhere, no markings or engraving on the shaft of the handle. Instead, it looks like a ringer for the Gillette 1917 Old Type 460-B shown on Mr.-Razor, except for the fact that the word Gillette is nowhere to be found. The threaded shaft of the cap is loose and wobbly, and it's also wobbly where the baseplate attaches to the handle. When it's assembled, it's a nice snug , solid fit. It doesn't look quite like anything I can find on the web. Can anyone here comment?
View attachment 804892 View attachment 804895 View attachment 804896 View attachment 804899

I could be wrong, but it looks just like this one: Early Rotbart Mond Extra; German Safety Razor with blades

"This all brass model of the Rotbart Mond Extra is a copycat model of the Gillette Single Ring. Made before WWII (as indicated by the all brass construction, manufacturers switch to zinc alloy during the war and never switched back) this razor is in very good condition and provides an excellent shaving experience. The Rotbart logo appears at the base of the handle, engraved along the smooth ring."

It's a German WWII Wehrmacht Soldiers Safety Razor Rotbart Mond markony-belgrade, found several on eBay just like it. Some apparently also have Rotbart Mond engraved either down the knurling on one side, or around the base, just above the ringed knob to disassemble. Looks like they're asking around $40 + S/H, give or take.

Here's a link to one of them: German WWII Wehrmacht Soldiers Safety Razor Rotbart Mond markony-belgrade | eBay

Interesting find

That razor bears no resemblance to the OP's razor.

It's a German WWII Wehrmacht Soldiers Safety Razor Rotbart Mond markony-belgrade, found several on eBay just like it. Some apparently also have Rotbart Mond engraved either down the knurling on one side, or around the base, just above the ringed knob to disassemble. Looks like they're asking around $40 + S/H, give or take.

Here's a link to one of them: German WWII Wehrmacht Soldiers Safety Razor Rotbart Mond markony-belgrade | eBay
Interesting find

Except that mine doesn't have the Rotbart logo anywhere on it, Just the word "Mond" on the underside of the baseplate. That's what is puzzling me.

Interestingly, the metal case also looks just like the metal case shown on a Gillette 1917 Old Type 460-B at Mr.-Razor, again except for the total absence of any markings on the outside of the case.

That razor bears no resemblance to the OP's razor.

There's some minor differences, but the general razor looks fairly close to my eyes. The top picture by the OP is missing the base/outer handle, look at the assembled razor. There's several on eBay, all with small differences, either with the comb (11 or 12 teeth), and location of name/logo. Sort of like Gillette, some have serials, some triangle holes, some with pat numbers in place of serial numbers.

Makes sense it would be a military issued razor, as the soldiers needed to be shaven to allow a good seal on their gas masks. Germany was big on various gasses during the wars, and they wouldn't want their own soldiers gassing themselves. Possibly the OP's unit is a bit older, as the head has quite a bit of wear, allowing the screw post to be visible on the cap top. Shame the razor can't tell its story.

There's some minor differences, but the general razor looks fairly close to my eyes. The top picture by the OP is missing the base/outer handle, look at the assembled razor. There's several on eBay, all with small differences, either with the comb (11 or 12 teeth), and location of name/logo. Sort of like Gillette, some have serials, some triangle holes, some with pat numbers in place of serial numbers.

Makes sense it would be a military issued razor, as the soldiers needed to be shaven to allow a good seal on their gas masks. Germany was big on various gasses during the wars, and they wouldn't want their own soldiers gassing themselves. Possibly the OP's unit is a bit older, as the head has quite a bit of wear, allowing the screw post to be visible on the cap top. Shame the razor can't tell its story.

The OP's razor is built like an OLD type Single Ring.

CAM00212.jpg
CAM00218.jpg

The razor you linked to is built like a raised flat bottom New.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Ah, the eBay pictures changed...I had to refresh to see the updated pics on my tablet. It originally looked like this:
s-l500.jpg

I was wondering why you said it looked nothing like the OP's razor. Mystery solved.

BTW, if my German is correct (been almost 40 yrs), Rotbart translates into Red Beard. The Mond doesn't make sense, it's Moon. (Red Beard Moon).

R

romsitsa

Hello,

Hugo Büchner Gmbh. (HB) was the manufacturer. It's German, Mond is the name of the razor. Büchner also produced Mond Extra, later they fused with Rotbart and Rotbart Mond Extra was born.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Mond blades and razors were advertised with a moon headed man shaving, guess "it shaved you as smooth as the moon".

Adam

Top Bottom