What's new

What about this razor?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hello,

Hugo Büchner Gmbh. (HB) was the manufacturer. It's German, Mond is the name of the razor. Büchner also produced Mond Extra, later they fused with Rotbart and Rotbart Mond Extra was born.

Adam

Someone here always has the information. Gotta love this forum!

Mond-Extra (the handle reads Rotbart-Mond though)

s-l1600-10.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

Hello,
Hugo Büchner Gmbh. (HB) was the manufacturer. It's German, Mond is the name of the razor. Büchner also produced Mond Extra, later they fused with Rotbart and Rotbart Mond Extra was born.
Adam

Ahh...That's the kind of info I was hoping to find. Thanks, Adam!

So mine is a German clone of the Gillette Single Ring from before Buchner and Rotbart joined.
Looking at the huge similarities of both the razor and the case between mine and the Gillette 1917 Standard Set No 460-B shown on Mr-razor, is it reasonable to assume they were roughly contemporary?

R

romsitsa

Gillette lost its patent protection around 1908 in Germany so in theory Germans could "copy" any Gillette design without facing a lawsuit. I don't remember when Rotbart Mond Extra was introduced, so my best guess is roughly 1910-20.
The Gillette 460 set with the push type lock was produced from 1912-13.
Büchner was already operational in 1908, but the blades and razor were called "Luna".

Adam

Gillette lost its patent protection around 1908 in Germany so in theory Germans could "copy" any Gillette design without facing a lawsuit. I don't remember when Rotbart Mond Extra was introduced, so my best guess is roughly 1910-20.
The Gillette 460 set with the push type lock was produced from 1912-13.
Büchner was already operational in 1908, but the blades and razor were called "Luna".

Adam

Hmmm....I'm going to assume Buchner's copy came soon after that. Maybe 1913-15. Actually, anytime in your range makes it my oldest razor, beating out a 1921-28 Old Type.
Thanks again, Adam. I love the range of expertise to be found on this site.

Sorry for going off topic - but kudos to you Sir on selecting the fantastic Warren Z. as your new avatar. Notice in 'Roland the headless gunner' how he sings "The deal was made in Denmark...". Yay!

He is one of the most underrated stars outthere - or sadly, upthere... R.I.P. WZ.

...And to get on-topic again: @lancre: Congrats on this find, beautiful razor!

Sorry for going off topic - but kudos to you Sir on selecting the fantastic Warren Z. as your new avatar. Notice in 'Roland the headless gunner' how he sings "The deal was made in Denmark...". Yay!

He is one of the most underrated stars outthere - or sadly, upthere... R.I.P. WZ.

...And to get on-topic again: @lancre: Congrats on this find, beautiful razor!

Thank you fine sir! Zevon was an underappreciated musical genius, very sad that he is no longer with us.

You left out a word, "Roland the headless Thompson gunner"! :a6: :em2300:

Thank you fine sir! Zevon was an underappreciated musical genius, very sad that he is no longer with us.

You left out a word, "Roland the headless Thompson gunner"! :a6: :em2300:

You are right - I was looking at it and thinking it did not look right... I apologize to you and Warren.

In my defence I have taught my kids to love WZ and they really love that song.:innocent:

Intriguing razors and interesting info. I got what was described as a 'Single Ring Clone' - no stamps, marks or ID of any kind. I was drawn to the Barber Pole handle design. It gives an aggressive, but smooth shave.
German Single Ring.jpg

Top Bottom